ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

04 Clio 182 - Immobilizer / non start issue.

Clio 200 Cup
Ok, just swapped the engine over from my 172 to the 182 (using original 182 ecu and loom) and its not starting while cranking it will either kill the cranking after a few seconds or it will crank over. the circular immob light stays solid while cranking (i've split the key open and tested it without the chip and it flashes quicker so i can assume that its not the key?) while it is cranking the Red EML light (with STOP in the centre) flashes, I've plugged it in and no faults. It was running fine in the 172, but the 182 was never running when i had it. Here is a video of what is going on dash wise.

I am thinking of swapping the ecu , uch and key chip from the 172 and putting in to test it. any advice would be appreciated.

th_2015-11-13%2015.06.21_zpsiqmiuz6b.jpg

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Could be many things, crankshaft position sensor would be a common one though. I think if it's the immobiliser the red light flashes fast when you turn the ignition on.

Clio 200 Cup
Could be many things, crankshaft position sensor would be a common one though. I think if it's the immobiliser the red light flashes fast when you turn the ignition on.

Yes i've removed the chip of the key and tested it and when removed that one flashes very fast.

The other one (RED EML with STOP written inside) is flashing and it will cut the cranking of the engine.

Clio 200 Cup
Fixed the Red EML.

it briefly runs if i feed fuel to the inlet manifold. so telling my i've got spark. but no fuel / not injecting.

Pump is not running with ignition so an underlying issue there, but i run a direct feed to pump and still doesn't inject. going to plug it in tomorrow again and go from there.

Clio Sport 172
Sounds stupid but the 3 black relays in the engine bay, have you removed them and had a look. My 172 had the exact problem and it turned out i was getting a rubbish connection due to the pins turning green. I wiggled them. Cleaned them up and havent had a problem since

Clio 200 Cup
Sounds stupid but the 3 black relays in the engine bay, have you removed them and had a look. My 172 had the exact problem and it turned out i was getting a rubbish connection due to the pins turning green. I wiggled them. Cleaned them up and havent had a problem since

Yes hard wired them yesterday, and it ran, but came to switch off and restart and it wouldn't. may be coincidence.

Getting solid Red Immob light while trying to crank.

as above, either relays or gearbox earth gets my vote.

Earths is on my list of things to Re-check again.

Clio 200 Cup
Right. Checked all earths and all fuses. Relays and relay contacts are all good, me bridging the relay isn't a solution the cause is the signal is not being sent to the relay to activate fuel pump & coilpack.

Don't have spark anymore, don't know if that was just a coincidence the one time or not. and have a load of fault codes which now won't clear.

I'm questioning the root cause of it (writing this out is helping my process). And to me it seems pointing to an Immobiliser issue, whether that be the KEY (although tried another ECU set and the same), UCH or ECU.

Now if i've changed the ECU and UCH and key from a known running vehicle. In my eyes I should be looking for a wiring issue in the dash loom or between relays and UCH??

Clio Sport 172
Right. Checked all earths and all fuses. Relays and relay contacts are all good, me bridging the relay isn't a solution the cause is the signal is not being sent to the relay to activate fuel pump & coilpack.

Don't have spark anymore, don't know if that was just a coincidence the one time or not. and have a load of fault codes which now won't clear.

I'm questioning the root cause of it (writing this out is helping my process). And to me it seems pointing to an Immobiliser issue, whether that be the KEY (although tried another ECU set and the same), UCH or ECU.

Now if i've changed the ECU and UCH and key from a known running vehicle. In my eyes I should be looking for a wiring issue in the dash loom or between relays and UCH??

yes Id agree that's what you would be looking at, gutted for you actually as I was going to enquire about buying the car you had in the classifieds lol. good luck mate

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I've got a dash loom and an interior loom up on ebay atm if you get desperate.
Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it soon