ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£5000 budget For mods what to do?

RB182cup&golf gti
Spending 3.5k on insurance, as suggested above, is ridiculous IMO. Enjoy the car you have and don't throw money away

At 17, the last thing you want to do with (presumably) your first car, is leave it standard and be plain.

I understand the urge to want to play and tinker and the like, my best advice would be to spend a few hundred quid getting it nice and tidy, so genuine Renault parts, get a few bits powdercoated, whatever. It'll keep you busy and it's all OEM, so won't affect your insurance.

With the remaining £4700, get it locked away in a 3 year ISA. Then when you're 20, with 3 years NCB, some money saved up, plus your money and interest in the ISA, you'll have a really healthy budget for a really very nice car.

​Walk before you can run :)

Megane 225
Just listen you f*****g spaz

Bit harsh mate. To the OP if u want to spend the 5k buy a standard 172 for 2k and make that your project as above do some track days in it and enjoy it. But save some of that money for insurance. By the time your 19 it should be cheap enough to insure.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
All these replies are true. Ive stopped modifying my clio and decided to put money into a savings fund for either a new car next year or towards a flat etc. Even buying a 172 at your age and spending the rest of your money on insurance for just one year of going around in it is stupid. Especially when you have just passed, wont have much road experience and will bump it the odd occasion. Just save the money and keep putting money into the savings if you can for a year or two and then you will be able to afford a nice car and your insurance will be cheaper so you can afford to keep it and run it :)

But that idea of buying a 172 and going to trackdays until you can afford the insurance is a smart and fun idea! I like it!

E46 M3, Clio 182
why not buy a 172, keep on your driveway / garage or whatever and you can slowly mod that to how you want for when the insurance is right? You can still do subtle mods to your 1.2 (lower, wheels...) Just remember there's more to just buying and insuring, running cost of a 1*2 can get expensive when your young and your income is not the best!

Clio World Series
He's young he's at that age where you do sillys things but this is bit too far your more than lighty too crash it wen u put 5k into it you pay 5k to do it all next day you will crash it showing off in it save your money as everyone above is telling u !

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I've been in this situation! But I kept buying a different car every year as insurance prices drop I would jump up a group.
even that was a big regret. 1.4 206, then 1.8 Mg and now the clio. Wish I hadn't got the mg.

Just stick with what you have until you can afford a real rs or equivalent.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Bit harsh mate. To the OP if u want to spend the 5k buy a standard 172 for 2k and make that your project as above do some track days in it and enjoy it. But save some of that money for insurance. By the time your 19 it should be cheap enough to insure.

This whole thread is going round in circles. If OP just read the advice he wouldnt do it!

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I've been in this situation! But I kept buying a different car every year as insurance prices drop I would jump up a group.
even that was a big regret. 1.4 206, then 1.8 Mg and now the clio. Wish I hadn't got the mg.

Just stick with what you have until you can afford a real rs or equivalent.

​Amen to MG regrets

S4 Avant
To be fair, the "save up for something better, later" argument is all relative.

I'd say, don't waste your money on a Clio at all and save it for something with two seats, 300+ bhp and a 20K price tag.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Time to be the 100th echo... don't do it. I drove 1.1 renault 5's til I was 21, racked up 4 years no claims and got me a Williams, carried on growing my no claims and added a 182 to my collection last year. Skip the williams as there won't be any left in a couple of years and just enjoy small engine driving (some of the most fun you'll ever have in a car) until it makes any sense to get something with some poke.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest if you're set on spending money on it then personally I'd leave it the colour it is now, 172 rear bumper, rs fron grille and 172 alloys and lowered.
Nothing major but looks nice enough and you'll still have over £4k to save for your 172 in a few years?

Renault Clio MK4 RS
To be honest if you're set on spending money on it then personally I'd leave it the colour it is now, 172 rear bumper, rs fron grille and 172 alloys and lowered.
Nothing major but looks nice enough and you'll still have over £4k to save for your 172 in a few years?

exactly what ive done to mine. Cost £40 for springs. £60 for rear bumper, £120 for alloys and £20+old grille for RS Grille. And got a 172 spoiler for £15 aswell. £235 and got a car which looks much better than stock and keeps me happy :)

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Just do some simple mods,

Coilovers £200 inc fitting
172 rear bumper £200 inc colour match
rs grill £50 new
colour code £100

job done, drive around in a nice car for a few years and upgrade, happy days

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
IMG_0973.jpg

£500 - spend nothing - have a laugh in it.

Clio 182
When I was 17 I had a 1.2 Seat Ibiza, 19 I had 1.8 MGF and now I'm 20 with a Clio 182...

No Claims Bonus does the business!

Clio RS 200 S-Stone
Keep your 5k for a few year for a better car, im 20, bought my rs200 when i was 19 and insurance is less than 850

C63 AMG
Seriously don't, I've just bought my first house at 28, and know for a fact if I hadn't pissed about with money like you're probably about to i'd be on my second.

Spending 10x a cars value on mods is insane.

£5,000 would buy a 172 + a year's insurance. Surely?

Last edited by a moderator:

banther

ClioSport Club Member
This thread seriously continuing....? OP PLEASE just take the advice and don't spend 90% of your money. I'm 22, just bought a house on my own. When you save that hard .. 5 grand is a serious amount of wedge.

Please please please don't sink it into a project that will reward you with exceptionally little in return.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Absofu*kinglutely. Only a cnut would spend £5,000 on such a piece of cr&p. £5,000 would buy a 172 + a year's insurance. Surely?

Lol was there really any need for that? Factor in extra fuel, tax, service costs and other consumables then it may not even stretch to cover it all, plus you only have the car for a year then your stuck as the 5k has gone!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
You seen insurance prices for 17 year olds these days?

Yep, I worked in motor insurance for 5 years.

It was just a retort to Rexina who insinuated that spending £5k on a £500 car was a waste of money, while at the same time suggesting that the OP spends £3k+ insuring a car worth max £2k instead - which IMO is just as big a waste of money.

E92 M3
I made a rep mate. i dont regret it one bit loved my first car almost as most as much as i love my 182, but it doesnt take 5000. not how cheap the parts are now. spend 1000 on that, keep the 4000 in the bank till next year and buy a cheap 172 and insure it. i had my 182 when i was 18 and paid around 1800 insurance.