ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£5000 budget For mods what to do?

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
right picked this up for £500
renault-clio-dynamique-1-2-16v-3dr-hatchback-2002-blue-28a32d5855665c9f25f808e6e1fc575e-m2.jpg

and want to make it a 172 replica I am only 17 so buying a ful 172 would mean insurance issues so just sticking with a replica.
Firstly I want to get it Re-sprayed To Mondial blue the 172 cup clolour : NEED A SPRAY SHOP SOMEONE HELP?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Why? Why not wait until you can spend this £5k on a decent car?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Put it in premium bonds, fixed ISA for a house deposit for when you've grown up a little.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Spray shack get great reviews on here... Give them a shout for more info... Even if to just get a guideline price on what to expect to pay...

Also, have a look in the Car Parts for sale section as sport bodykits come up for sale every now and then. Same goes for turinis.

You going for the leather interior or the cup one (or keeping it standard)?

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Spray shack get great reviews on here... Give them a shout for more info... Even if to just get a guideline price on what to expect to pay...

Also, have a look in the Car Parts for sale section as sport bodykits come up for sale every now and then. Same goes for turinis.

You going for the leather interior or the cup one (or keeping it standard)?

where is the spray shack based mate? and I plan to do the cup interior :) just really need to spray it firstly though

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You must must must be trolling. No, seriously mate, what the actual fukc.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
but I want to spend some on this one now? my insurance wont go down until im way older!

Why dont you buy a second car, maybe a 172? and spend your money on that, and when you are old enough tax/MOT/insure it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
but I want to spend some on this one now? my insurance wont go down until im way older!

Look you clearly are a couple of fries short of a picnic but you realise wasting 5k on this car is the worst idea in the whole world, ever?

You could buy 2 172s and still have change for insurance.

Is the 5k a bank loan?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Leave it as it is bud save the money because when your old enough you will regret spending the money on it

The lads aint being harsh even though it sounds it. But do not waste your money

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Seriously don't, I've just bought my first house at 28, and know for a fact if I hadn't pissed about with money like you're probably about to i'd be on my second.

Spending 10x a cars value on mods is insane.

WRX
Have you had an insurance quote for your car with the mods you want? Chances are you might as well just get the 172 instead.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Listen to us when we say don't plough 5k into a standard clio.
You will never make that money back when you sell it on.
Save it for a house or a upgrade when your insurance goes down. Or better yet go out into the world and enjoy yourself on some adventures.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Look guys I am not planning on spending 5k on it. I only wanted to see if I could do a project of making a 172 replica. :(

Spending £5k on a £500 car? Really?

Respraying a blue car a slightly different shade of blue? Really really?

Passat
WHAT?!

You could spend £5k on that car and you still won't be able to sell it for £2k.

I trust this is money your parents have put away for you? Don't waste it on this.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I got this car when I passed my test at Christmas and I have made 5k from saving up from birthdays and my job etc im not spending 5k on it at all! just wanted some ideas that's all :(

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Have you considered that the mods will also bump the insurance price up quite majorly, especially at 17.

That being said, you're 17, enjoy being able to drive, learn the roads and get used to handling a car before jumping the gun.

An instructor teaches you how to pass your test, not how to drive.

I agree with all these replies, it's a stupid idea.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Just leave the car as is. I left my Clio standard and coped. Buy something decent a bit down the line (again, like I did).

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Have you considered that the mods will also bump the insurance price up quite majorly, especially at 17.

That being said, you're 17, enjoy being able to drive, learn the roads and get used to handling a car before jumping the gun.

An instructor teaches you how to pass your test, not how to drive.

I agree with all these replies, it's a stupid idea.
so I just leave it standard and maybe do some suttle modifications?

330i. E30 Touring.
Look guys I am not planning on spending 5k on it. I only wanted to see if I could do a project of making a 172 replica. :(

It's possible, but utterly pointless. Trust us- we've all been there. All wasted money we wish we hadn't on cars.

Put the money away until you can insure something nicer. £5k will buy you a Z4 3.0 and insurance in a couple of years!

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
It's possible, but utterly pointless. Trust us- we've all been there. All wasted money we wish we hadn't on cars.

Put the money away until you can insure something nicer. £5k will buy you a Z4 3.0 and insurance in a couple of years!
cheers for the advice mate means a lot.

Don't make a 172 replica, its just retarded.

Spend maybe a little, like a couple of hundred quid at most, but save the rest and do something useful with it.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Just slam it on some 172 wheels and it'll look a lot better.

Spending money modifying a car is dead money whether you're 18 or 48 tbh. Does it stop me doing it? No.

Inferno 225 cup
Seriously mate don't blow £5k on this car, keep it has a knock around then when your old enough buy something fancy with the £5k + more if you save a little.

You will thank us in the end.