ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£5000 budget For mods what to do?

but I want to spend some on this one now? my insurance wont go down until im way older!

it may not go down until your older but think of when it comes to selling the car, your not going to get your money back, and don't forget anything you "mod" you have to declare with your insurance, which it will probably cost you the same as getting a 172. Putting 5k (or even 1k) into a 1.2 is just mental! Mabey get some alloys, as they are inter-changeable!

work for BMW
Please don't spend £5k on this car at your age.. Yolo and all that but this is just a waste of money. Save it until older and get a decent car

ph2 172
A set of lowering springs and a set of 172 alloys is all the mods you need at your age and on that car. A couple of years and you will be wanting better mods on a 197/200?
So keep saving your cash and you will be able to buy one out right and mod it in one. ;)

With just skimming through this thread I would advise first to check if its had the cambelt changed? its too easy to focus on cosmetics then have a car than runs like a bag of s**t and feels like its on its last legs.

If its cost £500 it must have some things that need doing? Id be more interested in servicing the car, making sure it runs well and is reliable then (ignoring the 5k figure) spent a little bit of cash on the common mods, lowering springs if the insurance allows, silver indicator bulbs, possibly colour coding etc.

RenaultSport 172
Totally agree with most. Don't waste an money on it. Just wait a couple of years and buy yourself a nice car then.
Youll get bored with the 1.2 even after you've tarted it up and you'd end up selling it for peanuts

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'm suprised people are so shocked at this. People spend absolutley thousands on turbo/supercharging/ITB modifications, take it to one track day and sell it - at a loss.

Shoot for the stars mate!

I'm suprised people are so shocked at this. People spend absolutley thousands on turbo/supercharging/ITB modifications, take it to one track day and sell it - at a loss.

Shoot for the stars mate!

Yes, but at least modifying an RS is more worthwhile. And those are performance mods, which again, at least make a difference the the car.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
5grand.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Don't bother. Just drive it.

Someone above said premium bonds for house deposit. I agree, no point pissing away all that money you worked hard to earn on a car you'll probably crash in 6 months anyway.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Yeah mint idea, spend £5k on a £500 car

Sell car when you're fed up of it, get £500 for it.

​Sounds awesome

work for BMW
Cheap mods .. Rs grill , colour code , maybe stretch to springs if you can do it yourself :)

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
You're fortunate to have £5k cash at 17. Don't be silly and waste it. I had a 1.25 Fiesta until my 21st birthday, and I'm not saying you have to wait this long, but you have to do some time in a slow and boring looking car as a rite of passage as a young'un. Well, you should do as it keeps your feet on the ground in more ways than one.

An 11 year old car is going to require money to keep it in good condition; spend some of the money on decent tyres, brakes and other things that are going to prevent you from binning it. In my opinion keeping a car in top (but standard) condition can be just as fun as modifying.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Sell it and buy one someone else has modified for buttons.. Let someone else waste thw money and you take advantage.

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
I'd save that money for insurance.

Either that, or could possibly pick up a dog of a 172 and splurge the rest on insuring it...

They should replace the word replica with the word cnut in the dictionary.

Waste it all on heroin and whores dont be a gayboy.

53 Clio's & counting
right picked this up for £500
renault-clio-dynamique-1-2-16v-3dr-hatchback-2002-blue-28a32d5855665c9f25f808e6e1fc575e-m2.jpg

and want to make it a 172 replica I am only 17 so buying a ful 172 would mean insurance issues so just sticking with a replica.
Firstly I want to get it Re-sprayed To Mondial blue the 172 cup clolour : NEED A SPRAY SHOP SOMEONE HELP?

Word of advise, have you taken into consideration the insurance costs when you have made a replica? At your age it wouldn't suprise me if it would nearly cost you the same as a standard 172 - please check this out before making a decision

Monaco 172
When i was 17 i had a 1.2 clio and wanted all the modifications in the world, then i came on here and was advised to save for a 1*2, i'm now 20 and have a low mileage 172, which im so glad i didn't waste my money on my old car, i had a set of springs and some alloys and just kept it well maintained, you'll thank all of these replies soon enough!

Last edited:
  Mental 172 Cup
By a 172 and lower it on Cooksport springs, then spend the change on trackdays until your old enough to insure it reasonably..

RB182cup&golf gti
calmdown.jpg

​Please refrain from pointing out the obvious on only the 4th page!!!! lol

Great film!

As said a billion times above, be sensible, enjoy your car. Lots of 17 year olds would give anything for your car, as it is. Nice motor mate.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
Listen to us when we say don't plough 5k into a standard clio.
You will never make that money back when you sell it on.
Save it for a house or a upgrade when your insurance goes down. Or better yet go out into the world and enjoy yourself on some adventures.

he could buy a 172 for like £1500 then have £3500 to shell into insurance. At least he'd have a bit of go