ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WWDC 2011 & iOS5

Bus w**ker
Re: WWDC 2011

Use Things or Wunderlist (this ones free...figured with you being a Scot I should point that out), then you'll see just what I mean. Apple's Reminders just feels like a rushed and super basic app to me, just so they can say "Ooh we're listening to customers requirements"

Tesla MP3 2021

I have been waiting for something like this :)

'iTunes Match' Allows Both Streaming and Downloading of Music

Apple released a developer beta of the iTunes Match system this evening. The system is described by Apple as follows:Quote:
iTunes Match stores your complete music library in iCloud, allowing you to enjoy your collection anywhere, anytime, on any iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or computer.

Insanely Great Mac provides this nice walkthrough video which shows you how the service works. It also shows that this is both a streaming and downloading service.

For the $25 yearly fee, iTunes Match will scan your existing iTunes music library and allow you to access it from any of your iTunes-linked Macs or iOS devices. Songs that already exist in Apple's iTunes music store will be streamed straight from Apple's master copy (at 256kbps bitrate) without a need to upload the songs yourself. Songs that don't exist in iTunes will be uploaded to iCloud. Either way, all your music (up to 25,000 songs) will be accessible from your various computers and iOS devices.

What wasn't entirely clear before is the fact that music can be either streamed or downloaded locally to any of your computers or devices. While the video only shows the service on a Mac, we've confirmed it works the same way on iOS devices. So, essentially, you will have instant access to your entire music library from all of your Macs, iPhones, iPads, or iPod touches. This ability on your iOS devices means your music library won't need to take up valuable space on the device itself.

iTunes Match is expected to launch alongside iOS 5 this fall.

update: Video on iOS:

Article Link: 'iTunes Match' Allows Both Streaming and Downloading of Music

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1220999

Bus w**ker

I have zero interest in iTunes Match, I don't need or want all of the music I have on iTunes available everywhere and I hate to think how much data you'll use by using it.

Tesla MP3 2021

Where I have needed this feature i.e in work etc I am always on wifi so for me its a great feature and will be used :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Beta 7 is ooot
5284f844-08af-6287.jpg

Bus w**ker

Only 70mb, can't have many changes in it then - just incremental bug fixes for a guess. If that's the case then it may not be too long till gold now.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the new beta... seems to of gone back to poor battery life again :( mine has drained pretty quick today and updating over air it has some how managed to screw up my songs though they are on the phone it won't play them :( dont recommend an upgrade tbh

Bus w**ker

Yeah it's fucked the music player, could be iTunes Match related at a guess as they've changed the way that works in b7, and if you didn't disable the passcode before updating iMessage will have turned itself off (if it won't verify your Apple ID reboot, turn iMessage back on in settings and reboot again).

I know it's only beta software but I'd still have thought that Apple would do some alpha testing on the major areas of the OS before pushing to beta, appears not. Roll on b8 in a fortnight.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah it's fucked the music player, could be iTunes Match related at a guess as they've changed the way that works in b7, and if you didn't disable the passcode before updating iMessage will have turned itself off (if it won't verify your Apple ID reboot, turn iMessage back on in settings and reboot again).

I know it's only beta software but I'd still have thought that Apple would do some alpha testing on the major areas of the OS before pushing to beta, appears not. Roll on b8 in a fortnight.

I had a seamless b7 transition with no errors. Music works fine.

Bus w**ker

I had a seamless b7 transition with no errors. Music works fine.

It's being reported all over the net and seems quite wide spread, the passcode thing was all my own fault though as I did OTA without bothering to read the dev notes for b7. Mine won't play all of the music in my library, the cover art is hit and miss if it displays (and I am sad enough to have the cover art for every album and single :eek:) and even the Music/iPod app crashes occasionally. Hopefully rebuilding the library will sort it tonight.

It was a sad day for me having to drive in to work listening to local commercial radio :(, it was either that or Chris Moyles and TBH I'd rather be deaf than listen to him. Think I'm just going to sing on the way home.

I don't get why people are always desperate to get hold of beta software like this - more often than not it's just riddled with bugs to the point where it gets moaned about.

I'd rather wait till it's officially released myself - less faffing about and hopefully no bugs or shiz.

Bus w**ker

People like the latest and greatest, those that can't however understand that they are going to have possible issues whilst its in beta/can't handle their device getting bricked (and not backing up often) probably shouldn't bother.

When I was on BBs I always used leaked OS builds, you've never seen buggy gold software until you've done that lol, so using beta iOS builds is no issue for me and Apple are rolling out the releases near enough fortnightly. Plus I'm a geek and it makes me feel better than the pauper iOS4 users ;).

It's pretty stable really. Only Retard133 has had problems but that's because he did it a stupid way.

5b1 is far more stable than 4b1 was.

Bus w**ker

It's pretty stable really. Only Retard133 has had problems but that's because he did it a stupid way.
5b7 is the most stable of the lot so far for me, with the exception of the music app problem I can't see any other issues with it. I'd even say that battery life has improved over 5b6.

I'm surprised that whatshisface133 has any problems, what with his high level Cupertino contacts and all. Thought he'd be rolling with the iPhone 5 and using iOS 6 already...

Rav4

Danny133, be nice please. Revels and Sym0n are ok.......

It's Tom you have to worry about ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

b******s have changed some of the emoji in the new beta too lol, my music issue was solved with a re sync....

Tesla MP3 2021

[h=2]iOS 5 Beta 8 on Friday, GM on September 23rd, Carrier Approval by October 5th?[/h]Tuesday September 13, 2011 7:47 am PDT by Eric Slivka
ios5.jpg

BGR reports that it has received information from a "trusted source" outlining Apple's plans for finishing up work on iOS 5 and delivering it to the public. According to the report, Apple is planning to release the eighth beta version of iOS 5 to developers this Friday, September 16th. A golden master version is planned to follow about a week later "on or around" September 23rd.After beta 8, Apple will introduce a Gold Master build on or around September 23rd as has been rumored. We believe that build is what will be loaded onto the already-assembled iPhone 5 hardware currently waiting for final software in China.
Apple's iPhone carrier partners are said to then be scheduled to give final approval to iOS 5 by October 5th should no issues be found with the release. If any issues are found, Apple will likely have to quickly develop a minor software update to be released as a patch alongside the official iOS 5 and iPhone 5 release.

As we reported yesterday, Apple has been claimed to be preparing to send iOS 5 out to iPhone assemblers sometime between September 23rd and 30th, giving them time to load the operating system onto new iPhones for delivery in early-to-mid October

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/13...ptember-23rd-carrier-approval-by-october-5th/

Bus w**ker

iOS 5 beta users, how much data are you using a month since trialing iOS5b? I'm asking because for all the years I had a BB and the time I was using iOS 4.x I've never come close to using my data allowance (500mb) however since going on to iOS5b I'm hammering it every month without fail and if anything my actual usage of my phone has decreased. I'm assuming that it's a knock on effect of iCloud and other changes within the new iOS but just wondering if it's affecting everyone else, as the knock on effect for networks infrastructure and in turn the new iPhone contracts could impact on customers.

It's not the end of the world, as I just buy another 500Mb for £5 each month.

AK

M240i

How the hell you lot can survive on 500mb I have no idea.

I'm about 800mb and above most months.