ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TRACK TROPHY 381 – PROGRESS TO DATE

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Not much of an update today, but just a couple of photos of the bits that will hopefully be fitted this week............... Blue maybe not the best colour to go with the red, but they came at the right price :smile:

WP_20150606_001.jpg
WP_20150606_002.jpg
WP_20150606_004.jpg
WP_20150606_007.jpg

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Very nice Craig the spec list is growing fast :smile:
Gonna have to do something to keep up with yours mate... it sounded amazing last week, hopefully my one will roar something like that when its done! will enquire with Curtis about the cup/seat next week and let you know what he's saying

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks alot Craig .
Ive never actually heard mine from outside, never even heard it in a video will need to get one of use to take it for a few laps one day.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well its about time for a quick update on the Trophy. Work has been busy lately so the car has never moved at all and It was about time the new parts get fitted!

The first phase of the mods will be:
  • New Timing belt kit, water pump & Dephaser pulley
  • piper 285 cams
  • cam & crank shaft seals
  • alloy radiator (matching header tank will be fitted once throttlebodies & ECU go on in the second phase of mods)
  • silicone hose kit
  • aircon & alternator removal
  • cup alternator set up & belt
  • oil cooler
  • all along with the fresh oil & filter of course
last night started the strip down - so a few photos of last nights progress below, hopefully all will be ready in advance of the 14th July track night and we can see if it improves anything!!

IMG-20150703-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150703-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150706-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150706-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150706-WA0003.jpg

shall keep things updated as the week progresses :up:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Todays update

Steady progress so should be all back together by Saturday...... sorry photo's a plenty but they really show it all, and I suppose a good record of work done :up:

Still a little lost with the oil leak around the sump though! doesn't use that much but after a track day the sump is wet as the oil is as thin as water.... was positive that it would be crankshaft seal as the sump gasket was replaced a few months ago, but crank shaft seal was bone dry!!. Didn't seem to be the rocker, although slightly damp at the rear it never showed signs of being wet. Never mind, rocker sealed, cam shaft seals new, sump gasket new & crank shaft seal dry! will get the oil-catch can on after its built up and help it breath a little better and keep looking unless anyone has any suggestions???

IMG-20150707-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20150707-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20150707-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20150708-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150708-WA0003.jpg

Aero catches ordered for bonnet & bumper as well today so that will be the next modification on the list in advance of the ITB's.

Will be calling RS tuning tomorrow to see their availability for rolling road set up after the ITB & gen 90 are installed unless I can get a more local option to work.

Hopefully the next post will be after the test drive with some positive feedback on the Piper 285's:tongueclosed:!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
What is it with you scots having loads of money to spunk on clios making them awesome?!

We have TOWIE ffs!!
FLOL mate. Don't know about the too much money, well certainly not any more anyway, but I am hoping for awesome!

Fingers crossed this makes a difference as it was a hard decision to part with the cash when I have read so many horror stories after modifying......

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
well todays update following another late night (big thanks to my mate Gaz for his help with this :up:).......

Car is built back up with (almost) a couple of finishing touches to be completed and was planning a run in at the weekend before the track day if all goes according to plan! picture rich story below:

IMG-20150709-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150709-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150709-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20150709-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20150709-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20150709-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20150710-WA0002.jpg

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Great progress mate. :smile: I ran the AH Fabrications radiator setup on my high-comp ITB build and it was fantastic at keeping everything cool. :up:

Yeah it's getting there mate, bit of me says I should have just put the ITB's on just now as they are lying there waiting, but it will be well into August before I can get it mapped and thought I could fit a couple of track days in between with just the cams in. Fingers crossed it all goes as planned and I start to see & feel the benefits :up::cool:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well another photo update ............ phase 1 modifications complete :tongueclosed: ! Big thanks to Gaz for his hard works & @Ph1 Tom for bits of advice through the process :up:, im sure there will be a few more texts during the phase 2 ITB install, although I think the hard works has been done!

Had to fabricate an alloy bracket to mount the oil cooler, just to ensure clearance for the pipes, works a treat & fits very neatly......
WP_20150710_003.jpg

Anyway before the front end was built back up came the all important running period as specified by Piper..... more of a worry as it was a 20 minute period spent looking for water & oil leaks as both systems have changed, at quite a bit of revs which I really didn't like!! plus side, no leaks, water or oil from anything installed an all sounding very healthy :smile:.....

Everything on, looking neat and tidy and ready for the MOT tomorrow (all going well and time permitting)
WP_20150710_006.jpg

Oh also managed to squeeze a brake fluid change in too as its been a year! replacement for super blue, now its kinda clear but hopefully just as effective:tonguewink: Seemingly changed after 15 years as the American market deem blue unacceptable????? figure that one out!!

WP_20150709_002.jpg

Anyway it is all built up as you can see below, just needs a plug for the silicone induction kit where the breather hose has been removed, so all going well (work dependant) ready for Tuesday night at Knockhill!! hope to see some of you up there :stig:

WP_20150710_004.jpg

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 60

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well a final preps in advance of Tuesday night. No sign of an oil leak at all so hopefully all resolved (touch wood:monkey:)......... thought it would be an idea to clean it all down and make it easy to see anything new that may appear! although the running in period of the cams certainly built up enough pressure! and it seems to be clear :up:

WP_20150711_003.jpg
WP_20150711_004.jpg

On initial road trial it feels strong, similar low down to previous, but too much traffic to get it up to the higher revs where it should be..... don't know what I was expecting really???? will hopefully see the results on the rollers once the ITB's are on.

Hope to see a few of you on Tuesday night...

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Little update on last night....

after turning up at the track with a stinking headache and absolutely no want to get in the car, we braved the track. Car felt really good, despite sounding like a bucket of broken spanners on tick over! Everything went well with only one minor issue, the slight oil leak is back, but its very clear to see that its the sump gasket! bit of a bugger as it was changed through the winter but none the less I know what need sorted now :up:.

Car was sounding well (cant seem to attach the video clip though!) and hopefully will sound ten times better with the throttlebodies on, think this will be happening as soon as possible now! possibly needing the ITB's to get the most out of the cams

IMG-20150714-WA0004.jpg

Swapped cars with @Fraser.J. for a few laps, whilst very similar incredibly different to drive, one things for certain it's very clear that I need to get the uprated springs for the AST's, Frasers has so much less roll when entering Duffus........

Well hopefully this weekend will see the aero catch fitment in pre for eth bodies and onwards and upwards from there!

Ph2 172
I love how this looks on track, what spring rates do you and Fraser run? I've just got new AVO coilovers as I couldn't wait for AST.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I love how this looks on track, what spring rates do you and Fraser run? I've just got new AVO coilovers as I couldn't wait for AST.
Fraser's are uprated, mine are just road spec front & rear..... I have just ordered race spec 90Nm front & 110Nm rear so hopefully we should see a difference soon!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well things have progressed a little further...... I think the pictures below save me typing a lot so i'll summarise at the end as I need a little help if anyone can assist........

IMG-20150721-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150721-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150721-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20150721-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20150722-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150722-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20150722-WA0004.jpg

Now comes the help required.....

I am currently talking to K-tec re the ph1 throttle peddle mounting bracket and the slam panel extension brackets, and hopefully they are willing to sell these separate but it seems they only like to sell the complete kit, i.e. a full throttle body package!! I've heard a lot of positive thinks about them and their customer service so hopefully they will, but failing that does any one have one that they don't need??

Other than that hopefully everything will be good, I have a few small tidying up things to do but really incidental............. assistance greatly appreciated and I'll keep you update as things progress.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
lol, its ok there is a pipercross one on order, this was fitted as it was there lol! car isn't running yet

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Craig I just fitted a standard Phase 1 pedal and it lines up fine with a small mod.
perfect - K Tec have just told em to do one!! very helpful indeed.

I'll give you a call to talk through the mod mate if I struggle.....?

Ph2 172
Reckon you'll be sorted for the 9th? I hope to get my arse handed to me by your trophy so that I regret selling the itbs! ;)

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Reckon you'll be sorted for the 9th? I hope to get my arse handed to me by your trophy so that I regret selling the itbs! :wink:
Might be struggling mate, work is just hectic just now and once we have it running I need to get it booked in to rs tuning and then get it down to them in Leeds for mapping......
Springs still haven't arrived from AST either and was hoping to have all that done in advance too... If the car isn't done I shall be up for a look and some passenger laps

Ph2 172
Yeah fair enough mate, I know the feeling hence the 9th being my first opportunity to get to knockhill this year.

I've just put AVO coilovers on mine so interested to see how they go. I wanted to mimic the AST track spring rates but was advised towards a relatively soft setup instead by Nick at Pure Motorsport and AVO themselves. No doubt they have spent a lot more time studying the mechanics than I have so hopefully I'm impressed.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well as a plus on K tecs side. Sean was first class with advice today and hard wiring the TPS will be happening! :up: Can't really understand why they wouldn't sell the parts, as they have them made anyway?... Never mind :up::down::down:!
A little mod to the throttle peddle and that should be in place soon and I'll have some brackets made for securing the grille.......

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yeah fair enough mate, I know the feeling hence the 9th being my first opportunity to get to knockhill this year.

I've just put AVO coilovers on mine so interested to see how they go. I wanted to mimic the AST track spring rates but was advised towards a relatively soft setup instead by Nick at Pure Motorsport and AVO themselves. No doubt they have spent a lot more time studying the mechanics than I have so hopefully I'm impressed.
I'll bring the helmet for a passenger lap to see too then :smile:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi, Can I ask a quick question, I need one of these oil catch tanks/breathers and your looks like a great shape as its not too big.
Have you got a link or the name of it so I can buy one.
pUEuPhk.jpg

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well another update in the life and times of Trophy 381............

ITB install completed after a few nights of hassle, car finally running after a new TPS arrived from Jenvey today 😢. Spent 2 nights trying to get the base settings working with the K-tec software and couldn't get it to set up. Turns out the original TPS was faulty!! anyway new one arrived today, set up and ticking over and running on base map. Think I need a to give the throttle peddle a little more free play as its instantaneous just now and I would prefer a tiny bit of movement on the peddle before take off :smile:. Will be phoning RS Tuning tomorrow to check availability for Rolling road set up, so finger crossed I see some of difference with the cams & the ITB's :up:

Oh another small note, removed the breather elbow to help enlarge the breather hole, just looked awful small so now 3 or 4 mm bigger!

WP_20150729_002.jpg

The other small addition is an A H Fabrications header tank to complement the radiator install............ not needed, but looks nice :tonguewink:

WP_20150729_003.jpg

hopefully the weekend frees me up and I can get to work on the aero catches, clean up the engine bay and move on from there.

things still to do:
  • Fit Aero catches
  • Remove black sound deadening from the bulkhead and install heat shoeld from 1.2 8v (if it ever arrives from Renault)
  • Clean down engine bay
  • Order new breather pipe to lengthen the pipe to the tank and to also relocate the breather filter, it just sits up a little too high touches the bonnet now! think I will go for blue silicone, I don't think it goes right with the red car, but at least it will be consistent!
  • Brackets to support grill on the slam panel being organised (Thanks @Ph1 Tom for your help with this)
  • Get the new AST race spec springs fitted, if they ever arrive, ordered on an expected 2 day delivery on the 14th July!!! I'm sure it will be worth the wait 😞

Well that's everything to date, couldn't really give you an update on sound or performance as it was driven from my mates garage back to my drive with a bungee strap holding the bonnet down (lack of aero catches and no bonnet catch !) so didn't feel that adventurous!

Hopefully the next meaningful update will be showing a decent power difference with the Piper 285's & ITB's on (fingers crossed anyway) and there may be a few smaller updates of aero catches and the tidying up things in the meantime..............

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great! I do miss my Clio :cry: Hopefully I'll be able to go halves on another with a friend at some point as a dedicated track car, I need the sound of ITBs back in my life lol.

I don't know how you have secured the solderless nipple on the throttle cable but I used epoxy on mine in addition to the screw and then cut/filed the cable down flat with the nipple. One time I was going through some tunnels with the window down making some noise then the next minute I was looking like a prat trying to screw the nipple back on... With the epoxy it never came loose, tbh it probably didn't need the screw! Something to think about before you start using it :tonguewink: