ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TRACK TROPHY 381 – PROGRESS TO DATE

Ph2 172
How much weight would you say there is in the sound deadening? That's my next job but patience isn't my best quality! Haha

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
How much weight would you say there is in the sound deadening? That's my next job but patience isn't my best quality! Haha

Don't know mate, 5 or 10 kilos maximum, and that probably includes the matting behind the dash...... It never seemed that heavy when doing it but when picking the carrier bag up at the end it was quite heavy, I never weighed it though.......

I've removed a total of 8.22 kg so far. And I haven't even taken the big one off the boot floor. There's also one or two small bits in the engine bay which I still need to get to.

The brown bulkhead foam weighs just over 3 kg on its own too.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Some more shiny bits arrived today...... AST 4100's & bump steer kit.......... hope to get them fitted next week, off on holiday this week and whilst I would love to spend it working on the car, I have to keep the piece :fearscream:!

If anyone's interested there will be some GAZ GHA's up for sale soon, 60mm spacing but they will come with hubs so should fit all...............will shove a post up once I get things swapped over!

WP_20150423_002.jpg
WP_20150423_003.jpg

Pick up some more performance parts tomorrow :up:, will get the final Pieces of the performance puzzle soon and hopefully get a little more power into the Trophy :smile:
Trying to fit all of the work in between the limited track days at Knockhill is a pain, hopefully manage to get some more photos and reviews up shortly......!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If you fit them at the height they're set at everything should be pretty balanced :) just get the tracking sorted when it's all together and have some fun!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
If you fit them at the height they're set at everything should be pretty balanced :smile: just get the tracking sorted when it's all together and have some fun!
will do mate, I was looking at the heights your Ph1 was at and its pretty similar to how the Trophy sits just now.............:smile:

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Suspension upgrades should help a fair bit, i just done my first trackday last night with the RC kit fitted and it was night and day from before. I also run AST's

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Suspension upgrades should help a fair bit, i just done my first trackday last night with the RC kit fitted and it was night and day from before. I also run AST's
Great to here mate, everybody seems to rate them so i'm looking forward to the first outing............ :)

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well, more performance parts arrived today! trying to stagger the installation of everything to see the benefit of each!! f@ck*ing hard when its all just sitting there though waiting to go!

WP_20150424_002.jpg
WP_20150424_003.jpg

Cams are on route and should arrive next week................ hard bit is going to be holding off a month or two before getting this all installed !

Suspension shall be installed by the end of next week so that should be enough modification for the for the trackdays on the 16th & 24th May and into June. There's a little break for July and August at Knockhill so that may be the time for the ITB's, cams and mapping to happen! I'll keep you posted as the progress of install as it happens and hopefully of the positive response the car has to all of this :smile:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yeah they definitely transform the drive of the clios. You might need to up the spring rates though on the asts mate if your solely using it on track.
Yeah iv been considering that already. From description in Toms thread it looked like he had the best of both 400lb front and 285lb rear, ill give them a go and see how they go this year and upgrade through the winter.............. i'm hoping they will be an improvement on the Gaz as standard and then gauge it from there. Being fair to the Gaz ones though, they have held up really well and knockhill is quite demanding with all its ups and downs!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah iv been considering that already. From description in Toms thread it looked like he had the best of both 400lb front and 285lb rear, ill give them a go and see how they go this year and upgrade through the winter.............. i'm hoping they will be an improvement on the Gaz as standard and then gauge it from there. Being fair to the Gaz ones though, they have held up really well and knockhill is quite demanding with all its ups and downs!
You'll probably find that you need to run a minimum of 400lb springs on the rear and 475-525's on the front. The gaz stuff has come on leaps and bounds now tbf, but they still ain't at the same level as asts or kw's imo. Nowhere near.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
:smile:- Well that's the last piece of the puzzle arrived!
WP_20150508_004.jpg

just need to get my finger out and get everything fitted! - works been over the top and the typically spectacular (not!!) weather has hindered progress at the minute!

suspension install targeted for next week and then a few more track days before the engine gets stripped!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
So a little more progress on the Clio front............. AST's & bump steer kit are finally fitted :tongueout:............ Haven't used it on track, but the 3 mile trip home was night n day. Hopefully the first outing at Knockhill will flag up a massive difference! sits a little lower than than the GAZ's were set and has a more aggressive stance, back has dropped quite a bit, but still nose down which suits me. It does feels great......... hoping to get it on track on the 24th, seemingly they have changed the SLS to the 23rd (sat) so the Sunday should be back to a bit more time on track than the last disaster!

IMG-20150515-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150515-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20150515-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20150515-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20150515-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20150515-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20150515-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20150515-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20150516-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150516-WA0004.jpg

Next mod before the weekend will be getting the exhaust back into position, moved slightly after a rather adventurous line into Duffis the last time out and has ended up melting the exhaust trims!!

engine mods will follow sooner rather than later as we think the slight oil leak is the crankshaft seal so not to keen on running it like that and may as well get everything else done at the same time! Once the ITB's, ECU & cams are in i think it will be a trip to RS tuning for the remap and rolling road set up, unless any one knows any other options up hear who can deal with Gen 90??? The Car was done at RS tuning just over a year ago and has ran brilliantly and seems very perky compared to most in standard form, so i think it may be worth the day trip!!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Totally unrelated post, well still involves a car but just not the Trophy! RS4 went up for sale and surprise surprise 3 days later its gone!! couldn't believe it and to be fair a little heart broken at it going 😂, but it was built for using, something that i didn't have time to do with it and before you say it @Fraser.J. I know you offered to help me out with that!! So the daily driver 5 series went up for sale as well and picked up my new daily runner yesterday! Have taken to it straight away and whilst its not the RS4, it gives me a little fun daily before breaking the Trophy out at the weekends!

WP_20150516_039.jpg
WP_20150516_032.jpg

Anyway now the hassle and time consuming weekend car hunting is over, I can get back to progressing the Trophy mods!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yeah it was a tough choice, really thought about the 335 or the 4 series, but as its a daily the 330 is perfect and gives a good bit of practicality as well! Although its the same engine so it may get a little remap to give me the 313 BHP in a little while :tongueclosed:

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well Mondays out was amazing. Car is transformed with the AST's and bump steer kit, felt solid all day and turned in every so easily, point and shoot!! can turn in a lot later now and does it with no effort what so ever! great modification @NorthloopCup :smile:. Yous were right though I need to upgrade the springs, even though it runs a lot flatter and feels properly planted i does crouch / roll a little under heavy load and due to Knockhills ups and downs it could do with uprating!

Only pad point to the day was a knocking that appeared mid after noon! baffled a little as you would swear it was a bush that was away on the front passengers side........, and as i have just replaced everything with black series and AST's are as good as new it will need some investigating ?!? Co Pilot for the day swore it was coming from behind her head but i wasn't convinced although after investigation at the rear and noting the LHS exhaust was hang down a little i found this!!!

Exhaust back box plates splitting and pulling away....... these photos are after i shoved them back into place! is this typical scorpion quality or am i just paying the price of having solid rear exhaust mounts and very soft front rubbers???

WP_20150526_001.jpg
WP_20150526_002.jpg
WP_20150526_003.jpg
WP_20150526_004.jpg
WP_20150526_008.jpg
WP_20150526_006.jpg

Anyway exhaust off and away for welding / strengthening and after a refit and couple of trial runs hopefully all is well and the knock goes away!!

Anyone know of any uprated exhaust rubbers? The centre one is very week and the two rear ones for the drivers side rear box are pretty soft as well....

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Cheap and easy upgrade for the rubbers is standard ones filled with
Sikaflex.
Where did you get your alignment done Craig ?

M2 Comp
You also have the Prima Racing 'uprated' exhaust mounts, but they're a bit pricey at £80-£90 a set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419522616c

Pro Speed in Cardiff modified my existing mounts (similar to what @neil a has suggested above) as well as fabricating some additional mounting points and after 10-15k with this setup, my exhaust still sits perfectly. I can grab you some photos if you like?

As for the centre exhaust mount, I have found the revised mount Renault provide to be good, they are only £7ish. I once fitted a centre mount from a local motor factors and it literally lasted 2-3 weeks, lol.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
You also have the Prima Racing 'uprated' exhaust mounts, but they're a bit pricey at £80-£90 a set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419522616c

Pro Speed in Cardiff modified my existing mounts (similar to what @neil a has suggested above) as well as fabricating some additional mounting points and after 10-15k with this setup, my exhaust still sits perfectly. I can grab you some photos if you like?

As for the centre exhaust mount, I have found the revised mount Renault provide to be good, they are only £7ish. I once fitted a centre mount from a local motor factors and it literally lasted 2-3 weeks, lol.
hi mate, cheers for the links. I have the prima race mounts fitted which may be the reason for the failure of the exhaust brackets, it seemed to work ok on the old soft ones...........

photos would be good of your upgrades and I think I shall go for the new genuine rubbers for the rear of the centre section and the back box.

cheers

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Cheap and easy upgrade for the rubbers is standard ones filled with
Sikaflex.
Where did you get your alignment done Craig ?

Hi Neil, I use John at Ladybank Tyres or my mate Gaz does it when I'm up getting the mods done..... you got that box working yet?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
It's normally lady bank I use aswell.
The box is now built hope to get it fitted on Friday , I'm booked on for the TS night on wed and might also book up for the mon night if I can get alignment done on sat/mon

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
It's normally lady bank I use aswell.
The box is now built hope to get it fitted on Friday , I'm booked on for the TS night on wed and might also book up for the mon night if I can get alignment done on sat/mon
I'm at the mercy of my exhaust being returned return so wont make the Monday coming one with the car, but ill be up to have a look is I can get back from Aberdeen early enough........... will catch up with you then mate

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
exhaust back up and fitted............. strengthening plates added as well so we'll see how long this lasts! thought about replacing the exhaust surrounds but a closer look at the drivers side one means that the bumper will need to be changed too........ Christ! must have been a little hot as it could only have touched it for minute 😞 track car after all, but just get a little pissed off at things like that!

WP_20150530_004.jpg
WP_20150530_005.jpg

Ph2 172
Any pics of the strengthening plates?

I'm tired of replacing hangers on mine and was thinking about making some sort of triangulated brace to replace the centre hanger.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Hi mate, the brackets were welded back into place and then a plate of similar size welded over the top to strengthen it up.... A little was lost in translation with the welder as I would have liked that plate longer and welded over more of the back box, I'll see how long this lasts but it may need to be a larger strap.......

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
more parts arrived today,
WP_20150604_004.jpg

Timing belt kit, dephaser & water pump, along with cam shaft and crank shaft seals, got a really good deal from Fish Brothers Renault.................... so cams, oil cooler, silicon hoses and a Scott Morgan alloy radiator & fan setup can get fitted next week (hopefully) with the ITB's & ECU following in a few months with Scott's matching alloy header tank........ Timing belt isn't that old that's on, but no point in taking a chance, so when its stripped everything replaced with new seems the right answer, hopefully with the crank shaft seal replacement will cure that annoying oil leak (previously thought to be sum gasket)

I'll keep you updated :smiley: