ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "Ive taken a pic and I kinda like it" thread

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
8078314001_2472cae1ab_z.jpg

Hello there by Niall97, on Flickr

Stunning again, I took a picture from the same angle months back but that is a true masterclass in how it should have been done :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, with 1/8000th shutter speeds I could use F1.4 even in the brightest light, that shot was only 1/1250th so it wasn’t very bright in that spot :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Really good pics on this page. Like that a lot Ben ^^

I went out to try to get some star trails earlier. Went out way too unprepared. I have cold, wet feet and aching legs now! Next time it either needs to be warm or I need to remember a chair!

One of the RAW's that I took to test the shot. Came out well too soft. Need a new lens!
8100786011_24c3862d23_z.png

Week 43 - Rhuddlan Castle by A_Cro, on Flickr

And this one, only 28 images at 30 seconds, F5, ISO 200. Some movement, again, not helped by the softness of the lens IMO.
8100777855_43230bd641_z.png

Rhuddlan Castle Start Trail Test by A_Cro, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Its a Tamron 19-35 , about 10 years old and has been well and truly used and abused. I think I can get it serviced but I might be better off with a new one when I can afford it.

Really like the London ones of yours Brazo. I'm there on Saturday for a few days, hoping to get some decent shots.

Actually. I think I might be a spaz. I had it set to infinity so the castle was probably too close. b****cks.

To get sharp shots you need to:

Focus manually! Yes AF is perfect for most shots but for landscapes, especially night you can't beat mf.
Use a sturdy tripod
Use a remote release or 10 second timer
Use mirror lock up or even better get rid of the flapping mirror ;)
Ensure more than adequate exposure as plenty of light helps sharpness no end!
Whilst a sharp lens is helpful the photographer can influence sharpness in so many other ways its far from the be all and end all!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I had it on mirror lock for the first shot (it didn't work on multi shots though so I had to turn it off for the stat trail stacks).
I didn't use a remote until I was doing the trials :(
The tripod isn't the best but it was dug in to soft ground and not extended all the way.
I should have checked the manual focus instead of thinking infinity would have done!
My max exposure was only 30 seconds, should have left of longer (the ISO was at 200, should that have been 100 and a higher F number? )
And do I keep the in built noise reduction turned off in the camera?

Hopefully I'll get are better ones next time and should get something good from London.

Cheers for the pointers.

Lower iso is always best unless doing single shot astrophotography in which its generally iso 3200+ and 600/focal length to work out shutter speed to prevent stars from trailing.

You can have the wobbliest tripod in the world and as long as its not windy it will be perfect *IF* you leave it long enough to stabilise and use a remote shutter.
Noise reduction switch off! Always do this as you have far more control in raw.

I have only learnt the above from making mistakes myself so see it as a good learning experience. After all .... only a wise man makes mistakes!

I had it on mirror lock for the first shot (it didn't work on multi shots though so I had to turn it off for the stat trail stacks).
I didn't use a remote until I was doing the trials :(
The tripod isn't the best but it was dug in to soft ground and not extended all the way.
I should have checked the manual focus instead of thinking infinity would have done!
My max exposure was only 30 seconds, should have left of longer (the ISO was at 200, should that have been 100 and a higher F number? )
And do I keep the in built noise reduction turned off in the camera?

Hopefully I'll get are better ones next time and should get something good from London.

Cheers for the pointers.