ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New French Tat, but it's not a Renault

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Decided it was time to buy a new car. Had my Clio 197 almost a year now, but it's not ideal for my daily ten-minute commute through city traffic and, with our equivalent of the MOT due, I thought I'd buy something else. The problem was, what to get? While everyone immediately thinks of supercars and G-Wagens when they think of the Middle East, the general car market is pretty grim. Outside of the really high-end stuff, most people have little interest in performance cars, and instead aspire to big BMWs and Mercs. On the whole though, most of them actually drive silver or white Toyotas and Hyundais with beige interiors. Almost everything is automatic (CVT in many cases), with dreary four-pots.

Obviously with petrol being about 50p a litre, buying a V8 might sound appealing, but there was no way that was going to happen, as new cars can be unbelievably expensive. For example, the Dodge Charger starts at £42,000 for the shittest V6 model (compared to £26,000 in the USA). The dealers here are adding huge markups, which is actually being investigated by the authorities apparently, because people are fed up with it.

Anyway, with a big V8 out of the window, I started to think about the usual stuff like a Golf GTI, but that was ruled out, partly because of cost (nearly £40k), and the fact the MK8 is minging. After much thought, I decided I wanted something fairly small and cheap. My missus and I want to save as much as we can with a view to moving back to the UK in a few years, while parking near my work is a pain too, so a small car made sense. She has just bought a Hyundai Kona for transporting her kids about too, so I don't need anything big.

I thought about a Toyota GR86, which is actually slightly cheaper here than it is in the UK, but the dealer said it was going to be at least four months to get one, and I really couldn't be dealing with waiting like that. Also, while the kids don't go in my car, it was pushing it a bit in reality. I also thought about an Abarth 695, but there were a few problems with those. Firstly, it was going to be nearly £450 per month and secondly, you can only get the soft top Turismo here now. I looked at a Chinese car which I posted in another thread, a GAC Empow, which was ridiculously cheap at £17k, and comes in a fancy matt green but, after talking it over with various people, the consensus is that the Chinese brands are shite when it comes to parts supply, and it's likely to be worth about 50p in five years, so I ruled it out.

Anyway, to bring an end to the essay, I settled on this; a Peugeot 208 GT. I went and saw check it over one night during the week, before it was registered:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-17 at 14.40.25 (1).jpeg

Then when I went to collect it on Thursday, they'd put it in the showroom under a cover:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-17 at 14.40.25.jpeg

And uncovered. Amusingly, while they went to the trouble of putting it under a cover, they didn't bother to remove all the plastic protection and delivery notes:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-17 at 14.40.24.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-17 at 14.40.24 (1).jpeg

Annoyingly, they have fitted square plates. You can get European-sized plates, but the dealers get what they're given when they register the car. You can apparently buy new ones, so I'll try and do that at some point, as the square ones look a bit daft. Quite funny that the plate is "KTR" though - would have suited the Clio better :LOL: The dealer also gave me some gifts with the car, which was quite nice. I'll get some pictures, as one of them is quite funny!

Anyway, to the details. It's a 1.2-litre three-pot turbo with a whole 130PS. Weirdly, in Europe, it would have an 8-speed auto, but versions sold in most other countries seem to have a 6-speed for some reason. Obviously there is no manual available, because Middle East. It actually seems ok so far. Haven't given it too much stick as it's brand new, but it feels just as quick as the Clio in most situations, as it's got decent torque thanks to being turbocharged. You can reflash them to 150bhp, but perhaps not sensible on a brand new car.

One area where it does really shine over the Clio is equipment. They don't really do options here, you either get a base model, or what they call "full option", so the upper trim level. In this case, that means pano roof, LED headlights, lane assist, blind-spot warning, brake assist, power folding mirrors, keyless, electric handbrake, along with climate control, cruise control and the usual bits and pieces. It feels like a bigger car than it is in a way, and is more than up to the job of sitting in Jeddah's shitty traffic jams.

Obviously it's no baller wagon, but a decent enough daily, and I think it's probably one of the best-looking small cars for years. Set of white Turinis and some Eibachs would improve it of course, but only if I can afford the import duty 😂

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Nice looking cars I think. My wife has a ds3 with that engine, watch out for oil use as they like to drink it and are prone for belts to degrade as they are run in oil but as its new just oil usage its almost or rx8 levels!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Nice looking cars I think. My wife has a ds3 with that engine, watch out for oil use as they like to drink it and are prone for belts to degrade as they are run in oil but as its new just oil usage its almost or rx8 levels!

Yeah I did read about that. They have quite a short service interval, which I assume is part of it. I think they have made some changes over the original version too.

What kind of oil does it take? Might pick up a bottle just to keep at hand in case.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Just get some rallye stickers for it and white steelies. Job jobbed.

It has crossed my mind :LOL: If I do wheels, I think it will be alloys though. The standard ones aren't the nicest anyway.

You up sticks and moved to Saudi for her, now she wants to go back to the UK?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

😂😂😂

It was always the long-term plan to move to the UK, but made sense to be here while her kids finished school, and the money is much better here for both of us. The youngest only has a year-and-a-half left of high school now, and will hopefully be going to uni in the UK, so it might well make sense to move at that stage.