ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's Trophy. 1 x Miley Shed.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Re: Sir_Dave's Trophy. The 182 on (nearly) 182k ...

Yes! Gold wheels will look quality.

Want.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Haha! Get gold wheels!

The retroness will keep you feeling young, which you need this year ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

This thread is ridiculous and very entertaining, when are the cams going in ;)

Well, i quite fancy an RS2 at some point (better resale value you see), also, slightly concerned that if i pull the engine apart, it will disintegrate :eek: However, if i do built another engine, it will have BTM cams & ITBs, got years to do that though ...

Heroic! How many belt changes has it had lol?

Only 2 -1st at 72k (at 12 months old!!) and the 2nd at 175k at 4.5 years old.

Yes! Gold wheels will look quality.

Want.

You can buy them when i get bored then ;)

The retroness will keep you feeling young, which you need this year ;)

Cheeky sod :slap:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Little update as a few £££'s have been spent over the past week or so:

New track rod ends & balljoints
Powerflex dogbone mount
Gold et38 2118's
Hankook RS2 tyres
CL RC5+ front pads
4 x Schroth B23A harness brackets

Also, i realised that one of my front Sachs is knackered, & having had a quite frankly obscene price for a refurb, im currently umming & ahhing about whether to buy the Spax 'track day' coilovers (fairly new, relatively untested), or simply buy some H&R's (tried & tested). Tbh, i'm veering towards the latter, purely as having never actually adjusted any suspension, im not overly sure i'll miss something ive never had. The Spax are however, £200 cheaper ...

Evo 5 RS

Spax have been around for years, just not on Clios. Well when I say around for years they've gone bust about 3 times but hey lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Spax have been around for years, just not on Clios. Well when I say around for years they've gone bust about 3 times but hey lol

Yeah, i had some of their fixed things on my fiesta 1.6 si back in 2000, & they were hard as rock, which isnt really want i want lol. The PSX i tried on a saxo vts were far better, but im still not realy sure whether they will be as good as the Bilstein dampers in the H&R's. Adjustability is tempting, but id rather just have something that is good out of the box i think.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Yeah, i had some of their fixed things on my fiesta 1.6 si back in 2000, & they were hard as rock, which isnt really want i want lol. The PSX i tried on a saxo vts were far better, but im still not realy sure whether they will be as good as the Bilstein dampers in the H&R's. Adjustability is tempting, but id rather just have something that is good out of the box i think.

Order them first please.

I was looking at trying their PSX kit or RSX kit for the prices they are available for, but im unsure what they will be like. Although mine will rarely see a track to be honest.

Lotus Elise

Little update as a few £££'s have been spent over the past week or so:

New track rod ends & balljoints
Powerflex dogbone mount
Gold et38 2118's
Hankook RS2 tyres
CL RC5+ front pads
4 x Schroth B23A harness brackets

Also, i realised that one of my front Sachs is knackered, & having had a quite frankly obscene price for a refurb, im currently umming & ahhing about whether to buy the Spax 'track day' coilovers (fairly new, relatively untested), or simply buy some H&R's (tried & tested). Tbh, i'm veering towards the latter, purely as having never actually adjusted any suspension, im not overly sure i'll miss something ive never had. The Spax are however, £200 cheaper ...

You can get refurbs done for arround half the price of what BG want.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Order them first please.

I was looking at trying their PSX kit or RSX kit for the prices they are available for, but im unsure what they will be like.

Thats the issue i have really, spending £700 on something that is pretty untested is quite a risk. The only people that have reviewed them so far have only used GAZ/standard previously, so they dont really have anything decent to compare to. Danny says they are awesome, but he sells them so thats not surprising ;)

You can drive my car with the spax coilovers on if our paths ever cross lol.

Much appreciated, although its unlikely that i'll be in Suffolk anytime soon unfortunately :(

Yellow Konis and eibachs?

Wont fit on the front due to 60mm bolt spacing, which is pretty gay for aftermarket suspension choice tbh.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Not been keeping up to speed with this thread. My bad.

Seeeeeee I told you gold and red go together. Ignore Nick, he has a rust coloured M3 for christs sake.....and when it comes to this sort of thing his opinion is nearly always wrong. ;)

Im just glad to see those 2118's make it on a car rather than sat in a dusty barn in Norfolk TBH. Ex JMS race car parts FTW.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Thats the issue i have really, spending £700 on something that is pretty untested is quite a risk. The only people that have reviewed them so far have only used GAZ/standard previously, so they dont really have anything decent to compare to. Danny says they are awesome, but he sells them so thats not surprising ;)

Hmm very tempted, I can get the RSX kit for £559 at the moment, may try get it for even less lol.

Cant be any worse than my current set up off the previous owner.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Ex JMS race car parts FTW.

Oh for sure. They're much more likely to see a race track on my car as well :rasp:

Yanoo stiff shift & brass bushes - just arrived
Vibrateyourfoillingsout engine/gearbox mounts - in the post

And the piece de resistance, something which i have essentially wanted since my very first 182 in 2005, some H&R Coilovers have just been ordered. Yes, i know removing the Sachs is essentially commiting sacrilege for a Trophy, i know this more than most as i absolutely adore the setup, but i quite fancy trying something else :quiet:

To be honest, up to 3 years ago when AST became the be all & end all, H&R's were the suspension to have for road/occasional track work. I've also had Bilstein's (gonna be very similar) on 2 x 106 Gtis, a 306 Rallye and a Saxo Vts, so i like the way they're setup. Whilst the Spax was very tempting, especially considering the much cheaper pricing, having never adjusted any suspension before, its not something im overly bothered about ... Anyways, if i dont like the H&R's, ill just take them off & refurb the Sachs.

April/May seem to be a very expensive month for Trophy ownership it would seem. Was bad enough last year
willy_nilly.gif

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Wait. So no more archgap?

Really want a 1*2 as my next car (a while off yet) but would be good to see how the yanoo kit fairs as I'm going to struggle going back to a clio gearbox after the fiesta. I've heard the short shift kits can decrease gearbox life, but apparently this one is okay from what I've heard.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Good lad! Always fancied a set of H&R's for mine!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1

So basically, you now just have a red (pink) 182 with some fancy mods :)

Any track days planned?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Dave the Stiff shift kit will amaze you with the difference.. feels like a real gearbox!

340i

I was always under the impression H&R's where too soft for track use?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Wait. So no more archgap?

I said i was getting coilovers, not that i'd be slammin it in de weeds yo ;) I quite like how it sits on the Sportlines, so i cant imagine ill have it that much lower in all seriousness - i also enjoy B road blasts too much to compromise bump absorption by limiting the suspension travel available.

So basically, you now just have a red (pink) 182 with some fancy mods :)

Any track days planned?

Yeah, pretty much, although the Sachs will stay in the cupboard for future use!!

Doing Llandow on the 8th of June, hence all the upgrades have been moved forwards to May instead of being spready out over the course of the year as planned. Only problem with that the only other thing i want is an RS2 ... thats for next April/May though ...

Dave the Stiff shift kit will amaze you with the difference.. feels like a real gearbox!

Hopefully, i think the ball inside my gearstick is pretty knackered, moves about 2 inches left/right even when its in gear lol.

I was always under the impression H&R's where too soft for track use?

Maybe, but i'm of the thought that there is nothing wrong with a bit of body roll, makes for a more progressive break away when you finally reach the limit of adhesion as well. No snappy weirdness when the clio runs out of talent!! From memory, most of the complaints have been about the rear shocks being too soft compared to the front, which is an issue that i also encountered/solved by fitted the Whiteline ARB - this will of course be transferred over to the new setup.

340i

I like your thinking, Dave.

This is a fun car at the end of the day I guess!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Also fitting the kit is loads easier if you fit an aftermarket knob

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Also a nice weighted knob makes it all the better!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Good choice of suspension Dave. Fletcher's H&R's feel great on a B road blast and seem quite good on track as well.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Good choice of suspension Dave. Fletcher's H&R's feel great on a B road blast and seem quite good on track as well.

Thanks Tim :D

I must admit, so far i must agree, they do seem to offer both a very good ride, with a decent level of handling prowess, although whilst the ride height is sorted, the camber has been set with my iPhone and the toe is all over the place lol.

So to get everything up to date, last Friday night saw myself, Ollie & Mike go over to Panelwise, sorry FailSport posh fitting department, to quickly wang on the H&R's, fit some new ball joints and then all go our seperate ways. At 6.30 we got started and everything started going swimingly, Ollie was doing the front suspension, Mike was messing about with my engine mounts, & i was 'managing' everything and going to KFC for supplies ... :clown:

Drivers side strut & balljoint went on fine, ride height was roughly set, moved to the passenger side, ball joint wouldnt come out, bigger hammer was grabbed, swearing ensued, driveshaft got pulled out. Doh. Cue the distinct smell of cat pi55, gearbox fluid all over the floor and Ollie becoming Mr FFS. Angryness ensued as not only was their gearbox oil all over the floor, & my spare 3L was at home, 40 miles away, but after a quick call to James, he told us that the gator would probably be split as well. Oh FFS :quiet: Mike got on the case, pulled it all out, realised that the gator thingy had just slipped off & put it all back together. Winner. Ollie finished all the suspension and everyone was happy.

So we moved onto the back. Fitting the rears was also an utter ballache, with the rear H&R spring platforms being far too big for the rear beam holes (either the Germans had ballsed up, or the Trophy is a parts bin special with the wrong size holes in the rear beam-more likely), so we had to air sand a load of metal off the H&R parts, & grind off a load of metal from the beam. FFS. By 11pm we gave up, the Trophy stayed put, & Mike took me home in the Lolvo.

On the Monday, by using an even bigger hammer, Ollie, Nick & I managed to get get the rear suspension back together, Mike filled the gearbox up with oil & it was finally finished - well barring the inner tie rods & track rod ends that we still need to fit (didnt arrive in time), the Powerflex bushes that the ARB & Wishbones clearly need (although i might just buy new standard wishbones). Oh and the top mounts are buggered, so they'll need replacing/upgrading at some point as well :rolleyes:

I also took the opportunity to drive Nick's 182 that they had fitted the Quaife and AST's to the previous week. Went around a roundabout about 20 times, & even on ditch finder tyres the difference in traction is really quite noticeable!!! :race:

Pics of it all finished are here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?643569-Trophy-on-Coilovers-Slammed-Yo

Last night i set the camber with my trusty breaker bar & iPhone spirit level app, so today its off to get the toe sorted ... and my 2118's shod with some tyres for Llandow on Thursday.

IMG_1796.jpg

Today however, with it being the day after payday (lucky that) i put a deposit on something that i've always wanted, ever since a certain Tom Lewis came up with the crazy idea in the 1st place.

An RS2. In fact, the RS2. The fabled RS2 Extra off Nick's old 172 Cup.
party.gif

To be honest, my intention was to get one from James next year, if/when the T gets to 200k ...

But well, things never quite go to plan do they ;) /Money pit.

Nice read mate :) I remember seeing this car when I used to visit JMS! Nothing ever goes to plan on these cars does it :( Good news on the RS2 they are a great bit of kit

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Nice read mate :) I remember seeing this car when I used to visit JMS! Nothing ever goes to plan on these cars does it :(

Good news on the RS2 they are a great bit of kit

Aww man, it looked a right state when it was down there covered in dust & cr4p lol. But no, everytime you fix one thing, something else bites you in the bum. Still, once they're working 100% i cant think of many things id rather be driving :eek:

Haha Tom used to say it was driven not cleaned so fair play for that :) Exactly thats the whole thing about the clio's that keeps me coming back for more!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I must say you were quite kind when it came to telling the story of last Friday night.
I've never been so annoyed with myself!
Bloody car. I love it and hated in equal measure that night.....oh and then a bit more Monday night with all that cocking about with the rear suspension.

Combined with Nicks 182 earlier in the week and mine spitting it dummy out today (I broke an injector changing the oil filter.....I swear I'm cursed with these cars at the moment) it was a rather trying week!