ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's Trophy. 1 x Miley Shed.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
**Warning essay content**

Having now owned the Trophy for a month & 2k miles, i thought i had better put a little thread up about :D ... i'll add some more pictures of it when i get my pc up & running in the next week or - i've recently moved house & its currently in a box somewhere in the spare room. Well i hope it is anyway :eek:

Basically, since October last year, id been rolling around in something VAG, which really wasnt to my taste & did shoddy mpg. As such, since March, i'd been commuting 30 miles a day in a track-prepared saxo - not so quiet, but not so dull either.

Things had to change though, for starters running two cars isnt overly cheap, & secondly, with me moving in with the better half and only having space for one car each, i needed something that would do a daily 85 mile commute & satisfy my urge for fun ...

After a great deal of consideration, i dismissed the idea of a 330 as whilst it was probably the best overall/sensible car i could get for my monies, it wasnt an M3, & certainly wasnt a track car. Which left me with an MCS or, wait for it, yet another clio. MCS mpg would make baby jesus cry, so i ended up deciding that it would be another clio :rolleyes:

I decided to start looking for a low mileage 182 for about £4k, that i would subsequently fit Recaro's, Turini's, H&R's & the JMS inlet to. My intention was to change cars in July (as it was then May).

Then Jay197 put up a for sale ad for his Trophy, & Mike (Budgie) and i decided to go & have a look to see to see what all the fuss was about ... on the way there we both laughed about how we always follows our hearts & buy the 1st car we see.

30 minutes later i owned a Trophy. Oops.

Queue urgent stripping/selling of saxo, selling of golf, slight panic at having 3 cars sat on the drive & moving of house - all in 2 weeks. The cars did make for a nice photo though :cool:

DSC02764.jpg

Since owning it, i've done 2k miles (i think Jay did that in 6 months lol) and it hasnt skipped a beat, averaging 36mpg as well which is nice on the wallet - a gay would buy a diesel for 25-30k miles a year, but not me :star: Whack the cruise on & its a nice, albeit slightly bumpy commuting tool ...

Handling wise, it is actually amazing, you point, it goes, normally on 3 wheels!! Not as adjustable as the saxo, but a lot more ultimate grip, & definately a marked improvement on both the 182 (cup-packed) & 172 cup that i had before ...

Speed, personally i think its slower than the saxo, & the 172 cup, but according to Surrey Rolling road it may well be 10bhp down on that, so its not surprising, obviously weighs more as well, with all that faux cow on the seats.

Brakes, well, the pads are ok in day to day use, but well (& sorry Jay), they caught fire last night after a spirited half hour excursion :approve:

Mods wise, it already had:

*Ktec remap
*ITG panel filter
*Ktec Ultra silenced exhaust
*DS Performance pads, Brembo HC Discs, braided lines & Dot 4
*Alpine IDA-X200 iPod headunit

Since then, i've accumulated:

*Genuine RenaultSport mats
*Parrot CK3100 Handsfree
*Pogo Alert Speed Camera detector
*V6 airbox inc. ITG filter
*De-Cat (not fitted yet)
*15" Pro-Race 1.2's inc. PE2's/T1R's for track
*Ferodo DS2500 pads
*2 x OMP 4 point 3" harnesses

Future plans (when i eventually get bored of it) are for:

*Mark Fish -15mm springs
*Koni Adjustable rear dampers
*JMS RS2 inlet when they become available 2nd hand. Im tight.

And it needs a cambelt shortly.

First impressions. Well, its the best car i've owned. Seriously!!

A picture, apologies for the other shed:
DSC02720.jpg

Re: Trophy #433

Was a well looked after car thats for sure, but definately needs to have its legs stretched as its a bit lathargic! (spelling) ;)

Lovely looking car none the less, never really seen what the fuss is all about with the Trophy myself but hopefully Dave will be able to sway me there! Should be great if you do get the other little things planned like the JMS Manifold!

Cayman S Edition 1

Caught fire? Jesus thank god I was sitting down.

Found the last Rolling road results from Jan 2009 btw. Shows the increase the remap and exhaust made, however after that run I cleaned out the ITG filter and fitted a new set of iridium spark plugs.

doc005.jpg

doc004-1.jpg

doc003-1.jpg

M2 Competition

Ha! And you took the piss out of my fleet!

Trophy looks great. Did you fancy writing me a thread too bud?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Caught fire? Jesus thank god I was sitting down.

Found the last Rolling road results from Jan 2009 btw. Shows the increase the remap and exhaust made, however after that run I cleaned out the ITG filter and fitted a new set of iridium spark plugs.

Awesome, thanks for the RR print outs Jay!! Re: the brakes, it was a particularly windy/hilly stretch of local road and i was pestering some bikes, rude not too really ;)

Ha! And you took the piss out of my fleet!

Trophy looks great. Did you fancy writing me a thread too bud?

Ha ha, fleet FTW. Do your own thread though ya lazy sod!! In fact, as you owe me, you update mine :rasp:

Anyways, back to the car ... last night i fitted some Phoenix Gold front component speakers to drown out the rattles, along with a 'Si' Towing Eye - this however looks a bit too much like a nipple piercing so im not quite so sure about it !!

Last edited:
  330i. E30 Touring.

After seeing this, the only RS' I'd own is a Ph1 172, and a Trophy.

Utter minter.

P.s. I still want this off you once you've racked up the miles.

P.p.s. I've been paid, so whenever you want some moolah, give me a shout.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Love it Dave looks like a good example!

Cracking review aswell! I need to finish mine! :(

Trophy #473

If your going to get some Koni adj's, unpin your front dampers so you can adjust them too. Theres a 'how to' on cliotrophy :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Nice that fella. Think i should have not been so tight and gone to a Tomato after selling the 197 :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

If your going to get some Koni adj's, unpin your front dampers so you can adjust them too. Theres a 'how to' on cliotrophy :)

I think they've already been unpinned, BG Motorsport refurbed them last year & apparently they do it as standard (well according to MF) - but ill check when i can :)

Nice that fella. Think i should have not been so tight and gone to a Tomato after selling the 197 :)

Yes, you should :rasp:

Latest pic, taken at the PH meet at Mercedes-Benz world on Sunday.

Very much driven, not detailed at the moment lol:
4738129905_c15024eaf9_b.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Get rid of that nipple ring ffs! :eek:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Ha ha, good point!!

Last night, i was out messing about with it again ... it seems the boffins at Renault decided to put a poverty spec wiper stalk on the car, meaning that you basically have the wipers on fast, on faster, or off. Daft really as the car is wired for the variable/intermittent of the normal 1*2's. Typical Renault :rolleyes:

£15 on eBay & 10 minutes fitting later, i now have a variable stalk. Perfect timing for this mornings downpour :D

Cayman S Edition 1

Shocks wern't de-pinned when they were refurbed. Didn't wanna mess with perfection:)

Cayman S Edition 1

Trophys don't come with adjustable wipers (only on / off / one speed intermittent), however the wiring is all there, so you can add the stalk from a normal clio that gives you the feature

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Few more updates after yesterdays tinkering :D

A few of the Failsport/JMS/Surrey lot are attending a track day at Snetterton on Monday, so i thought i had better make the necessary changes to the podgy Trophy ...

1. Rear seats/isofix bar came out, & my harnesses from the saxo went in.
2. Turinis came off, 15" pro race 1.2's (with PE2's) went on.
3. DS2500's fitted (again from the saxo), along with a fresh load of Dot 4.

First impressions are that the wheels have not only improved the ride quality, but when combined with the removal of the rear seats, etc, one of the Trophy major gripes, ie its simply 'too balanced' has been partly redressed. However, whilst the back is still slightly more adjustable, re: wayward, this seems to have upset the front a little, leading to a tendency to understeer on the limit - something that Mark Fish mentioned would be an issue on track ...

Re: cornering speed, having taken it to my local 'rounabout testing area', it carries considerably more pace than the saxo, but its natural tendency on the limit is understeer, with the back end still not wishing to play in the way that the saxo did. This imho limits its adjustability on the throttle, which as said previously is something that i'd like to redress if possible. No super lift-off oversteer in this badboy ...

So, i'm going to mess about with tyre pressures (all at 32 psi at the mo), & essentially see how it fairs at Snetterton, my feeling is that i want a little more hardness at the rear, so i'll probably purchase the adjustable koni's in order to make the necessary amendments. I'd also like the ability to adjust the front's, ie soften them off for day to day use, so will be de-pinning the Sachs as well.

Speed wise, with the removal of the rear seats, its obviously added 20bhp ;) but in all seriousness, its louder & as such, placebo wise, feels a bit quicker - still needs inlets/de-cat fitting though ...

Yum:

DSC03158.jpg

DSC03159.jpg

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Get a proper strap on that wheel if you value yor life!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

Very nice, something about Trophys. Very nice colour.

330i. E30 Touring.

<3.

I take it you've printed out a Failsport 'sticker' for the T's rear window?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

Spot on Dave! Look forward to seeing how it gets on at Snetterton!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Standard sterring wheel fails so hard.

<3 x

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Its like a bus steering wheel lol, but i <3 my airbag ....

Retrim in leather would be lovely, but im not entirely sure which direction i'm taking it in at the moment, i keep getting sidetracked by german things.