ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave - Project Track Shed

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
New headlights, 'dimma' grill & some swearing & the Saxo has a front end again :cool:

DSC02514.jpg

Btw, never ever use Sikaflex to stick things together, it is an utter c*nt to get off!!!. In the end, I had to use Sarah's nail polish & a scouring pad to remove the excess from the bonnet ....

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well, its massive update time people!!! As you'll see below, things have progressed rather a lot over the past few weeks - mostly thanks to Mike (Budgie) and Ollie i might add ...

Firstly, rear brakes, well after the 1st MOT, it was clear by the brake test that i didnt really have any! So after half an hour or so of swearing, Mike and I had cleaned up the calipers and fitted a brand new set of Mintex 1144 pad's & Maxtorq Grp N discs. As with the front end of the car, overkill is the way forwards – especially when you consider than saxo rear brakes are a bit like clio cup's, ie rather pointless!!

Before:
DSC02519.jpg

After:
DSC02520.jpg

Soooo, now the brakes were fitted & the system bled, it was MOT time!! Despite the frankly ridiculous ride height i might add ...
DSC02529.jpg

The following Saturday it was booked in for the MOT, & obviously after all the superb work by me & the team, it passed 1st time ;) so off i trundled to get some Tax, whoop, whoop!!

As it happens, the chap who did the MOT also runs a 106/saxo tuning company so whilst i walked to the Post Office, he started to lower the torsion bar & fit the rear Bilsteins – yummy! 4 hours later (it was a bit stuck!) he moved to the front end, stripped down the drivers side front shock, pulled it all apart, went to fit the locking nut to the new Bilstein strut and .... oh bugger, there isnt one ... feck (bought off that dodgy CS member Budgie i might add!!). So we go to fit just the spring (so im not 45mm down at the back & standard on the front) and well, shortened Faulkner spring plus standard damper = fail. Back to standard & a rather naff drive home to say the least, handling akin to a boat iirc.

So on the Tuesday, after Mike kindly offered to lend me his Bilstein strut locking nut, Mike, Ollie and I set to work (well they did, i made the tea), as per usual much swearing ensued, but after a couple of hours, the drivers front had 'got low' ...

DSC02543.jpg

DSC02545.jpg

After a gourmet meal of KFC, whilst sat on a myriad of parts in the garage, we moved onto the passenger side & nearly got it all apart, but well, 10 year old drop link + rounded bolt (the last one) = fail. It was most certainly angle grinder time, but not at 11pm .... so we gave up & went to bed. Separate ones i might add.

Then Saturday came and my little ginger friend (Mike) re-appeared & worked his magic, despite having a humongous hangover i might add – serious dedication to the cause!! Although i was slightly scared when the angle grinder came out .... one brand new drop link later (we did the other side as well) and the passenger side was now running a Bilstein/Faulkner combo as well – awesome!! I even did some work myself ...
DSC02562.jpg

DSC02565.jpg

After that, it made sense to give it a little clean, in preparation for some much deserved whoring. Enjoy.

Mmmm, dish:
DSC02556.jpg

CS standard-issue Bimarco seat:
DSC02555-1.jpg

Corbeau Sprint (no fatties allowed):
DSC02560.jpg

Stripped (cage going in this week):
DSC02558.jpg

Needs tb's & cams:
DSC02515.jpg

Got low:
DSC02588.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

DSC02577.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

Driving wise, its absolutely blooming brilliant, soooooo much fun!!!!! Looks wise, it would probably look better a bit lower at the back, but that would compromise the handling, so thats not happening, ever. Handling wise, I havent really pushed it that much so far, but 1st impressions are that its a fantastic setup, loads of grip, super flat, but very adjustable on the throttle, the back end is certainly happy to offer its help when it comes to changing direction as well ... speed wise, its alright, certainly not going to set any records, but it pulls well enough & sounds flipping ace!! Braking, well, it can lock the wheels at 70, i think that says it all really ...

So, again, much thanks to Ollie, Mike & everyone else who's helped out with the build, I just need to service it and fit the cage now!! Then its off to Llandow on the 25th March ...

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Firstly i'd like to thank my manager, all of my fans who believed in me......;)

Im so proud....im even more impressed that Mike got a picture of you actually underneath the car. Were you really doing some work under there or was it staged/were you asleep?:rasp:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Good update! If I was being gehy ;) I don't like non standard grilles but everything else rocks :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Im so proud....im even more impressed that Mike got a picture of you actually underneath the car. Were you really doing some work under there or was it staged/were you asleep?:rasp:

Oh Mike was absolutely hanging, so he made he do some of the work this time round, poor show tbh ... although at this point, i was probably having a kip, early morning 'an all ;)

Nice montage btw, its certainly changed over the months ...

Good update! If I was being gehy ;) I don't like non standard grilles but everything else rocks :)

Thanks for that, its taken 6 months (to the day) to get it this far!!

Grille wise - strangely having the 'Dimma' one made the build slightly cheaper (i sold the standard one for £25 & bought this for £10!) and i thought id get a little more air flowing through the front as well, note i dont have any fog lights/arch liners either. Hopefully that'll help the engine/brakes stay a little cooler on track ...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Love it, I've enjoyed reading this and good to see it "finished" although I have no doubt the tinkering will continue.

Paint the rusty looking crap on the engine though, you know it makes sense!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't like the grille but it's definitely function due to where the intake sits so I like it now!

CLIO PH1 172
love this project lots of good work gone in to it, what sort of bhp do these run?? ( i have no idea)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Love it, I've enjoyed reading this and good to see it "finished" although I have no doubt the tinkering will continue.

Paint the rusty looking crap on the engine though, you know it makes sense!

Oh the tinkering will most definately continue, currently trying to get hold of a Pugsport exhaust for it as im not so keen on the Magnex drainpipe it currently has. What rust do you mean though? The manifold is currently in its 'changing colour' phase if thats what you mean?

I don't like the grille but it's definitely function due to where the intake sits so I like it now!

You should see it up close, its not the best bit of sikaflexing i've ever seen :dead: In fact, its truly awful lol. Amazing how good black bodywork can look from a distance ;)

love this project lots of good work gone in to it, what sort of bhp do these run?? ( i have no idea)

At the moment, unserviced, about 90bhp, theres a huge hole in the power curve where i do think the spark plugs are actually working at all, will sort that tonight though hopefully :D Theoretically though, it should be running approx. 135-140bhp in its current spec, so about 165bhp/ton.

Good work Mr Dave, and ollie and mike too!

J

Cheers John, its definately been a team effort :drunk:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks great! Kept to your budget?

Certainly wouldnt waste money on the engine...

Almost kept to budget, as it currently stands at just over £2.3k, but the spec, ie Bilsteins/Faulkners, cage, etc is considerably higher than i originally intended!!

You're right though, absolutely no point spunking money at the engine at the moment, its more than quick enough to have fun in!! To be honest, a 1.3 Rallye gearbox, trick diff & R888's would make it considerably faster than cams, etc ...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
That's made some progress since I last looked in here! Good going Dave (and Mike and Ollie!).

Its looking good too, for a saxo :rasp:

330i. E30 Touring.
This is going to be the most fun on track. So together. Stops like you wouldn't believe, and the suspension is perfect. Not too crashy, but firm enough to push hard and feel confident!

The real question, is it quicker than a 106 XSi? (;

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You posting from Egypt?

Yup, he's been bombarding me with pm's all day lol ... i told him to bugger off & go diving/bonk his missus/sunbathe!! Anything but sit on CS whilst on holiday ;)

Re: the car, as Mike says, the handling is epic, hopefully a little track like Llandow should suit it - power isnt so amazing, but it'll do. Cage is now in as well, so nearly there ...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Yup, he's been bombarding me with pm's all day lol ... i told him to bugger off & go diving/bonk his missus/sunbathe!! Anything but sit on CS whilst on holiday ;)

Re: the car, as Mike says, the handling is epic, hopefully a little track like Llandow should suit it - power isnt so amazing, but it'll do. Cage is now in as well, so nearly there ...

loll get off CS Mike! Isn't sunbathing a ginger's kryptonite though :eek::eek: so maybe sit in the shade....

Car is sounding epic mate. I must come and see it some day.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Car is sounding epic mate. I must come and see it some day.

I'll bring it out to play when the weather gets a little better :cool:

Another little update. I've fancied getting a pugsport for it for quite a while now (especially after hearing Mikes on his 16v S1!) as i had them on both my 106 Gti's .... they are blooming awesome!!

Unfortunately, trying to find one 2nd hand has been nigh on impossible :dapprove: As such, ive just given into temptation & ordered one of these little bad boys from www.saxsport.co.uk. Its effectively a Pugsport (made by Scorpion these days) that has been modified to fit the bumper recess on the saxo ...

saxsportrace.jpg

Cant wait for it to arrive, bwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaarrrrrrppppppppp :star:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Llandow = f*cking epic.

4473537287_ae152f7306_o.png

Well, its safe to say that the car is an absolute riot!! Much faster than i could ever have expected & the handling/brakes are just sublime, soo much grip & simply no brake fade whatsoever. No matter what i (& the rain) could chuck at it.

Bloody brilliant fun. Flipping, blooming brilliant. Epic f*cking car lol.

:evil:

24041_10150173798895057_664735056_11617231_3697881_n.jpg

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I hope you showed that Elise who's boss! Lol

Ha ha, well it was my mate Hamish, so we're fairly equal ability wise, i was quicker in the greasy conditions in the morning, similar in the wet in the afternoon. I think its safe to say that considering he was running RS2's, id get dropped in the dry ...

Should have bought a Wallye ;)

Well done mate,cracking car on such a small budget.

Thanks Ash, dont start on the Wallye's again :rasp: Sexo FTW.

Went for a little drive with Mike (Budgie) down to Pirbright on Sunday afternoon after he'd cleaned his car (i hadnt by the way, its a sl4g, dirt is cool ;)), so here's a few whoring shots i took.

The cars are very evenly matched i feel, his cams help, my strippedness helps. Sarah was very quiet on the trip as well, think she was fairly surprised at the speed on the thing - absolutely loved driving it when i let her have a go as well. She likened it to a go-kart lol. Anyways, hope you like:

DSC02613.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

DSC02615.jpg

DSC02616.jpg

DSC02617.jpg

DSC02619.jpg

DSC02620.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02622.jpg

Mike's Pugsport rules over my Magnex drainpipe btw, mine pops & bangs, but there is a distinct lack of flames unless on track :dapprove: Saxsport will sort that issue however ....

330i. E30 Touring.
Beauty and the beast, I believe was the most apt comment.

Pretty even in a straight line, but you were so much more planted and able through the corners.

Just you wait until I fit the Bilsteins. ;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Beauty and the beast, I believe was the most apt comment.

Pretty even in a straight line, but you were so much more planted and able through the corners.

Just you wait until I fit the Bilsteins. ;)

You also need to lose the interior and get some proper seats.....then it will be interesting.;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So, on Tuesday afternoon my new SaxSport arrived (after a 3 week wait mind you) - its based on the old Pugsport system for the 106, of which i've had 2, so one was always going to make its way onto the sexo at some point - resistance was futile as they say!! No seperate de-cat pipes here, so no shonky joints to worry about, AKA the Magnex.

Yummy:
DSC02624.jpg

Obviously, im a fairly impatient sort of chap, which meant that on Tuesday night we attempted to fit the SaxSport - well i did, Ollie advised & Nick stood around wondering why his brother wasnt there doing it for us ;)

As per usual, we encountered issues which meant that it was slightly bodged on so i could get it back in the garage & we could go to football. On Wednesday, i rolled it back out & refitted both the manifold/centre section join & sealed up the backbox/centre section with copious amounts of exhaust putty. Result = no blowing, but clearly as everything is now 'Dave Tight', this is perfectly understandable!!

So from this rocket launcher/drainpipe:
DSC02626.jpg

To this, peashooter:
DSC02627.jpg

DSC02630.jpg

Noise wise, its sublime, really raspy on acceleration & with pops, bangs & burbles on the overrun - essentially its epic, truly epic. Bwaaaaaarrrrppppp :race: