ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave - Project Track Shed

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well, after recently jumping at the chance to have a company car to do my 25k a year in (320i M Sport if anyones interested :cool:), it was definately time to get back into fun cars, ie the French sh1t boxes that i know & love :D

After much umming & ahhing and deciding that the 328 really needed to go, i spent some quality time browsing Pistonheads, ebay & essentially every French car forum in the UK. I set the budget at £2k all in & set to work tracking down & viewing some PH1 172's. Now i want a shed to track, but some of the 'things' i viewed were just wrong, seriously people, if your cars a nail, put it on the ad, save buyers a journey :rolleyes: So after some more deliberating, probably over a KFC & some Stella, i decided to really go back to my roots, ie Pug, & two very well known & frankly brilliant cars in the shape of the 306 Gti6/Rallye and 106 Gti/Rallye.

Unfortunately, 106 gti's are expensive, 106 Rallyes are even worse & prohibitive running/tuning costs were starting to put me off the 306 - although i nearly bought a couple of bargains anyway lol. Then, one evening, on the way home from work, i changed my route and spotted something vaguely appealing ...

A shed. You know the ones, sat on someones drive, complete with spiders webs & flat tyres, the kind of car that screams, 'save me, i want to lose my interior, grow sticky tyres & be hammered around every track in the UK'.

I called the owner, viewed the car in the fading light, fell in love with its dents, cracked bumpers & unstuck trim & revelled in its fresh cambelt, exhaust, new cat & clutch. It had no mot or tax, but it just needed to be saved from the Sax-P 'parts for sale' section. Its a '00 PH2 as well so tbh, it was rude not to, especially with all those lovely warning lights on the dash :eek:

Soooo, after the 172 Cup blog, then the 328's rejuvenation, its now time for ...... Project Track Shed.

Beautiful isnt it
DSC01977.jpg

Mmmm dents
DSC01979.jpg

Cracks
DSC01980.jpg

Lampposts
DSC01982.jpg

& Walls
DSC01983.jpg

It even has an interior (for the time being)
DSC01975.jpg

And an engine
DSC01976.jpg

Plans are effectively:

MOT on Wednesday so i know what i need to fix (it will FAIL lol):

Then some new front rear bumpers (rear sourced already), an ABS Sensor (already have one), Remove fogs (they are both smashed) and fix anything else the MOT throws up ...

And then (over winter):
Bilstein Group N's, Faulkner springs, uprated ARB, 15" Pro Race 1.2's (maybe C5 steelies-less than 5kg each!!), sticky tyres, Gti6/Gti180 brake upgrade, track pads, OMP upper & lower braces, Raceland induction kit with Green filter, 4-2-1 manfold (Raceland or 2nd hand Supersprint), Pugsport 2" exhaust inc de-cat, 6 point cage, suitable buckets, harnesses & a diet (for me as well tbh). Not that i've been thinking about it that much ;)

Cant wait to get started, really excited :race:

M2 Competition
Nooooooooooooooooooo, you know what im like, you'll make me want to get one too!

(i want, this is gonna be a lot of fun)

On another note, get your ass over to mine soon!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I hope that was cheap! Its a f**king nail!!

I'm sure you'll sort it! ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I hope that was cheap! Its a f**king nail!!

lol, it was the biggest sh1tter i could find tbh, cost less than the tyres on my BMW ;) Will get better though, sort of ...

Dan: Will come over soon, although tbf, come to me ya lazy (but arousingly musclebound) git x

Tom: I wanted to copy your clio, just with a smaller, pikier, sh1ttier version :rasp:

Mainly a tow truck
I am sure with your polish and a few rattle cans and filler you will have that looking in shape quicker than i can work out how to use my new iphone.

Carl

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Still should have bought a gti kant!

Perfect tho! Just what you need mate.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
A standard VTS? That's got to be rare LOL.
Perfect base for track use though, good choice.

Wont be standard for long lol, picked up more bargains tonight :D its seems that a Corbeau Sprint Bucket, mount & TRS 6 point harness have found there way into the garage ...

DSC02004.jpg
sprint_web.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

Unfortunately, i took it for the MOT this morning (Kwik fit £35), expecting it to fail. It didnt disappoint tbh :rolleyes: bless it:

ABS light on (ABS sensor already on its way)
Emissions way over (knackered cat i guess?)
Lambda reading over (any ideas? buy new one?)

One tyre fitted on the wrong way round, another on 1.5mm
(getting new wheels/tyres)

Rear brake pads less than 1.5mm (getting new ones anyway)
Service brake efficiency below requirements (49%)
Offside rear brake recording little effort

Lambda readings were:

Fast idle tests - 0.963 & 0.963 (limits are 0.970-1.030)

CO readings were:

Fast idle tests - 2.995% (limit is <=0.300%) & 3.117% (limit is <=0.300%)
Natural idle test - 0.660% (limit is <=0.500%)

Now, im guessing that some of the above is due to it being sat undriven for 4 months, ie the rear brakes doing nothing because they are glazed/siezed. Not the end of the world really, uprating it all anyway, emissions are a bit of a pain though, although feel free to pm me any suggestions ;)

Heres the little sod in the garage, where it'll stay until its ready for MOTing again.
DSC02025.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had the same problem with a little 1.1 106. Been sat for nearly a year and the emmissions were shot to s**t.

£10 2nd hand lambda and 20 minutes at full pelt up and down the ring road a few times and it passed! :D

Yep, change the lambda, drain the old shitty fuel out and stick £20 of something decent in there along with some fuel additive (redex etc), then a good old italian tune up down your nearest ring road.

306 GTI-6
Think that will be cool when its done. Stripped out it will be pretty light, and should be good fun to drive too.

Please, please try this on the dent on the front wing:

[YOUTUBE]q0UAUBE-Hmg[/YOUTUBE]

Want to see if it works, lol

Turbos.
Sounds cool...

Surprised you are bothering with repairs, that could be a new set of tyres or brakes! Sod's law means you will bin it on it's first outing! Battle scars for for winners...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Is this the car you mentioned in the other thread Dave ?

Yeah, when i was umming about 106/306 gti's!! Ended up going full circle & stumbling across this instead lol.

Surprised you are bothering with repairs, that could be a new set of tyres or brakes!

I've been having similar thoughts tbh, i managed to get the rear bumper for £20 so it was rude not too, front bumper & dents & ill live with tbh, as you say, its gonna get abused anyway!! Would rather spend the cash on some carbon lorraines for my gti6 brakes ;)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looking good dave, Cheap track cars for the win! although when its finished you know full well it would have cost far more than you had ever dreamed!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Found it!

Felt bad that i hadn't kept up with your latest automotive adventure so i thought i'd better hunt it out.

Remember....im gonna be working not far from you soon so i want a phone call when you start tearing the little blighter to pieces.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Found it!

Felt bad that i hadn't kept up with your latest automotive adventure so i thought i'd better hunt it out.

Remember....im gonna be working not far from you soon so i want a phone call when you start tearing the little blighter to pieces.

lol, cheers mate, you can lower the torsion bar for me then ;)

Little bit of an update actually, will post pictures later if i can find my camera. Have now fitted the rear bumper & realised that the previous owner had colour coded the bumpers/side strips :eek: my new rear bumper hasnt had this done so it looks a little odd. Ah well. Bothered!!

On Sunday afternoon i stipped out the rear so no more carpets, seats, plastics, belts, fixings, etc. Needs a good clean though :dead:

Also sold my TRS harness for £85, seeing as i bought the seat & harness for £90, my brand new Corbeau Sprint & side mounts have cost a grand total of 5 quid :D

So, after such an awesome piece of wheeler/dealing i then bought an
ABS Sensor, GE Quickshift, OMP steering wheel, Braided brake lines, lambda sensor, seat subframe, oil/fuel filter & lots of engine oil.

Sarah has christened it 'the money pit'. Shes not wrong tbh, i still need wheels/tyres, suspension, cage, & various 'go-faster' bits ...

DCi 100
It may be cheap for the originally car but for a full rally build on a VTS is can get up to 10k really quite easily.

Bet your having great fun messing around with something reletively priceless though!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Been playing with the car a little more this week, now stripped the rear out completely, revealed a little rust & fitted the new wheels - although why do people do the nuts up so tightly? Had to literally jump up & down on my wheel brace after soaking them all in WD40 for 3 days :S

Its getting there now. New bumper:
DSC02065.jpg

Stripped
DSC02127.gif

DSC02141.jpg

And wheels :evil:
DSC02147.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02138.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

I also invested in a OMP rear cage last week, so hopefully that'll make its way inside soon ...

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looking good mate, get a grinder on them doors so they become single skin, then drops some polly carbs in, i know you love your bargains, head down to homebase, they do it in big sheets ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
drop some polly carbs in, i know you love your bargains, head down to homebase, they do it in big sheets ;)

Hmmmm, homebase you say; angle grinder, polycarbs ....

Need to fit everything i have 1st though lol, running out of space in the garage !!!

Last edited:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Bin the GE quickshit now!

Get a compbrake copy from Kam racing. The difference is night and day. I've had them on the 3 106's i've had.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bin the GE quicks**t now!

Get a compbrake copy from Kam racing. The difference is night and day. I've had them on the 3 106's i've had.

Ha ha, just sold it as it happens ... dished steering wheel arrived today, so will be fitting that later on!! Grille will be done in black at some point, or modified somehow for better cooling :race:

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Just seen this mate, looking good so far! The wheels really suit it too.

Any idea on how light weight that's going to be when you've finished with it?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Any idea on how light weight that's going to be when you've finished with it?

Well, i've pulled just under 50Kg out so far - I've weighed everything on my highly accurate bathroom scales ;) They are 935kg as standard, so im aiming to get down to about 825kg if i can.

Budgie, they are ace!! Buy one. Parts are soo cheap lol!!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Good weight reduction mate, sounds like it'll be an absolute hoot to drive once finished.