ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S40 T5 sleeper project

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
I'm very impressed!! Like it a lot!!!

Not sure why, as soon as people start a family, they feel a need for a 5 door. As long as you can fit a pram in the boot, a 3 door is fine.

But props on the swede-wagon. I got smoked off a SAAB the other week, really made me look like a muppet. Love a proper sleeper

My mates 9-3 Aero was running around 280 (roughly, can't remember exact figure) by the time he sold it, had three maps for it which were locked to the ecu from Saab after market people (don't know the name of them). He said that although the top map was bloody quick it was a little too much for the car and took the feel away from it a bit... 250 map was the one he sat with most of the time, for a big car like the 9-3 it bloody flew!!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Nice and stealthy, good job. Looking forward to seeing how well it's hidden.

Its 100% invisible! I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Great progress,what power has it made or are you bolting all the stuff on first.

Its being mapped next Monday, then I need to get it back on the rollers to see what increase it's had. I'm expecting it to make 280+ bhp and 330lb-ft but time will tell. The Airbox and exhaust will be my bottlenecks I think.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Nice project. Cant beat a swedish wagon for a laugh. I've currently a V70 2.5 turbo with awd box and its funny leaving type R's etc behind while the Jack Russell licks the back window.
I think the exhaust manifold gets abit restrictive north of 280. An S60/V70r cast manifold gets over that though as they churn out 300hp standard and flow much better.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I think the exhaust manifold gets abit restrictive north of 280. An S60/V70r cast manifold gets over that though as they churn out 300hp standard and flow much better.

Hmm, that's the first i've heard of the manifold being an issue. They seem to be good for 300 - 330 max on the standard turbo from what i've read on ST and Volvo forums, anything above that requires either the K16 from a Focus RS or some sort of hybrid.

I'll take a look into it though!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Chrisgti6

Got a brand new set of Brembo front pads that fit the S40 if you want em mate?

I bought them back when I had my 3MPS and they sent the wrong set and I never got round to returning them

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Well, it's had it's map. It's got Shark Performances Stage 3 map on it now - which is good for 310bhp and 370lb-ft with the right mods. As i'm still running the std airbox and exhaust system (to keep the stealthiness) i'm not expecting it to be near those numbers but 280-290 and 340lb-ft i would be happy to see.

It's not been on the rollers yet, but I can tell you one thing - it is MENTAL! I actually think it wants to kill me. Any speed, in any gear it wants to go. 205 tyres really don't help with traction, so something needs to be done there. The way it gains pace is not what I was expecting, yes I expected it to be quick, just not this quick It certainly feels 30-40% more powerful which would tie in with the numbers above.

I'll let you know when i've had it on the rollers, let you know how well it does!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Video needed :)

Of anything in particular? I can get various videos sorted, once the weather is better! It's currently pretty wet so next to useless! On the way home in it last night it decided to light the front wheels in 4th (it was dry at the time!) hence the trying to kell me!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Drag race from the lights would be good ;)

Not my sort of thing to be honest and i'm no traffic light racer. It's not really that kind of car and would struggle to get away quickly I think. I'm 31, and not really interested in traffic light gp's!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Right, it's going back on the dyno this afternoon. Same place as before, so a fair comparison.

Last run (4 weeks ago) it made 217bhp 242lb-ft torque. I'm predicting 280+bhp and 330lb-ft. I'll update later today

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Just wondered, that's all. I'm interested to see what it makes. :)

My mate has just bought a 330bhp ST and the torque it produces is crazy.

Ahh right, thought you may have been local and were goign to pop in (then realised you're in the SW!)

Do you know what mods the ST has had for 330bhp? and do you know how much torque it's producing? I'll be happy if mine makes more than std RS torque (325lb-ft) It certainly feels like a torque monster.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
So, not disappointed with the results however it shows just how restrictive the std intake and exhaust are!

figures were 277bhp and 325lb-ft torque so just under what I predicted. It is running fairly rich at 11:1 so I'm hoping with some breathing mods and something done with the exhaust it'll make even more but we'll see. I've also got a very slight boost leak which doesn't help!

the guys @ dyno tech were impressed as it's making more power than a lot of the FRS that they run apparently! lol

182 Cup & DCi 172
Love a project like this - great fun for when people don't know whats under the bonnet.

Heres a little spec list off my previous Focus ST which ran 352bhp and 435Ib/ft, maybe of some use if you wanting to get even more:

- K06 Dreamscience hybrid turbo & manifold
- Forge actuator
- Forge recirc DV
- Dreamscience Turbo X remap
- Dreamscience induction kit
- Airtec gen 3 intercooler
- Airtec plenum
- Focus RS injectors
- Focus RS oil cooler
- Pro Alloy cold pipe
- Magnex downpipe (3")
- Dreamscience decat (3")
- Piper catback (3")

Got to say was pretty mental through the midrange with the torque that was available from low down:

SAM_1047.jpg