ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S40 T5 sleeper project

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
You have to get a mate to shoot a drive by of this car on a private road or something,
i'm intrigued to see how quiet it is with so much power.

Bloody love sleepers.

Inferno 225 cup
Exactly same with me, Decat and itg filter, possibly 630cc injectors.

Yours is capable of a loads more power though.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Exactly same with me, Decat and itg filter, possibly 630cc injectors.

Yours is capable of a loads more power though.

I think it should be making more than it is now to be honest, the map that is on it is good for 310bhp and 370lb-ft torque, I suspect I've got something more than the exhaust and inlet holding it back.

heres the the graph from yesterday, I've clearly got something weird going on, look at the torque between 3 & 4k it drops off twice. I suspect the std boost controller is struggling to cope, I've also got a slight boost leak near the map sensor.

120038EE-7982-461B-A0F9-3804550A61FD_zpsu5vhnfbp.jpg

182 Cup & DCi 172
Have you checked the boost solenoid is ok? From my experience the standard ones are quite woeful, IPD make a lovely upgraded one which is a direct fit. Fitted one to mine with no further problems.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Have you checked the boost solenoid is ok? From my experience the standard ones are quite woeful, IPD make a lovely upgraded one which is a direct fit. Fitted one to mine with no further problems.

That's my first point of call, I think I'll buy Elevates. I want the elevate induction kit too, problem is the uk sellers are about 50% more expensive than the USA sellers. I'm going to contact elevate and see if I can buy direct.

182 Cup & DCi 172
If you try and get in on a group buy the IPD versions are superb and fully serviceable.

Never tried any of the Elevate gear though - heard some good reviews on some of there bits for the C30's.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
An open filter will help massively I would expect. I hate them but even my TT saw 10bhp +

Fiesta ST Stage 3
mmmmmmmmmm was thinking of changing back to an air box .

Might re think this now then .

Alan

Just because mapped turbo's tend to run high boost. My standard air box with uprated panel filter still restricts mine.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I read mixed reviews, but I can't see how the current Airbox can flow enough air. For a start the actual filter is tiny, also the ECU sits partially in the Airbox. The noise alone will be worth it though, even if I don't gain many ponies.

I've gone from about 8psi to 18psi so surely a better flowing intake should help!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I read mixed reviews, but I can't see how the current Airbox can flow enough air. For a start the actual filter is tiny, also the ECU sits partially in the Airbox. The noise alone will be worth it though, even if I don't gain many ponies.

I've gone from about 8psi to 18psi so surely a better flowing intake should help!

Plus you have a nice fmic to keep the intake temps low.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Plus you have a nice fmic to keep the intake temps low.

I sure do, it's been running 2 degrees above ambient recently (even with some hard driving) so seems to be doing a fairly good job

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Imho, with the current power this thing has, the above would be more appropriate.

There's an idea! i'll see if I can pick up an extra L and switch it - maybe.

It's the VOLVO badge that annoys me most to be honest, I can't make my mind up over it.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
So, follow on from post #87 - The wierd boost/power delivery issue

A couple of weekends ago, after having a play with a Focus RS (the guy WASN'T happy :)) all of a sudden - boom. Loss of power and warning message on screen 'Reduced engine performance'. limped it into a layby on dual carridgway to find a the intercooler inlet hose had popped off. 5 minutes later I managed to slot it back on and do the hose clamp finger tight just to get me home.

Stripped the bumper off and tightened all the clamps etc, took it for a test drive and it seems to have cleared 90% of the power delivery issue, so I assume that the hose has always been loose and been blowing. It feels like it's gained some power/torque but the next rolling road day will show that up. I'm also getting the map sensor plate welded to the intercooler endcap instead of the sealant and screw job i'm currently using, which i'm hoping will clear it up entirely.

I'm thinking about taking the resonator box out that is before the back box, but i'm worried about the noise, I might see if I can cut it so that if needed I can drop it back into place. Without that resonator it will be straight pipe from turbo to backbox, no cat etc so i'm thinking it'll be a little too loud to get past the wife!

Will update once it's been back on the rollers or if anything else changes before then.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Quick update. It's been back on the rollers at Dyno Tech. The only changes since my last run are a fixed boost leak and a new recirc dump valve. It made 281 bhp and just under 350lb-ft. Graph below. Not sure what went wrong but the power dropped off drmatically at about 5.1k whereas last run it was closer to 6.1k. Either they backed off early or the ECU decided enough was enough. I certainly don't feel the drop on the road.

My torque spikes have now gone (probably down to the boost leak I had) and if it had revved properly I suspect it would have been closer to 290bhp at it's peak.

C0D490FD-E8C5-461E-9E0A-DED65B843B5D_zpskbescxdx.jpg

I have some Focus RS injectors lined up, and then I also want to get the resonated Milltek system to free the exhaust up a little more. I should easily break the 300bhp barrier then, and about 370is lb-ft of torque. Still undecided what to do with the intake, I don't really want it to be noisy but at the same time I need to free it up a little. Any ideas?

There's allsorts of other bits I want to do too, upgraded boost pipes, boost controller, but before all that the brakes need sorting! I can bolt on Focus ST calipers, and the 320mm discs, but i'm toying with a kit Elevate have just released. It's using 6 pot wilwoods, and the original 300mm dics. $850 (about £500) which is not much more than it would cost me to get a good set of Focus calipers!

This is the kit

3D715A6F-0F47-4CCB-AE33-A593A001384F_zpsls1vl6df.jpg

and how it would look

F5C09640-0284-4262-8255-8AF6AFF1A750_zpsp4nyuqin.jpg

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Power drops off quick after 5250 RPM ?

Was this done this week as I had my car on the rollers on Saturday in 23 deg heat and it did the same thing to you in dropping off more than last time so this may be down to the hot weather ???

Alan

Quick update. It's been back on the rollers at Dyno Tech. The only changes since my last run are a fixed boost leak and a new recirc dump valve. It made 281 bhp and just under 350lb-ft. Graph below. Not sure what went wrong but the power dropped off drmatically at about 5.1k whereas last run it was closer to 6.1k. Either they backed off early or the ECU decided enough was enough. I certainly don't feel the drop on the road.

My torque spikes have now gone (probably down to the boost leak I had) and if it had revved properly I suspect it would have been closer to 290bhp at it's peak.

C0D490FD-E8C5-461E-9E0A-DED65B843B5D_zpskbescxdx.jpg

I have some Focus RS injectors lined up, and then I also want to get the resonated Milltek system to free the exhaust up a little more. I should easily break the 300bhp barrier then, and about 370is lb-ft of torque. Still undecided what to do with the intake, I don't really want it to be noisy but at the same time I need to free it up a little. Any ideas?

There's allsorts of other bits I want to do too, upgraded boost pipes, boost controller, but before all that the brakes need sorting! I can bolt on Focus ST calipers, and the 320mm discs, but i'm toying with a kit Elevate have just released. It's using 6 pot wilwoods, and the original 300mm dics. $850 (about £500) which is not much more than it would cost me to get a good set of Focus calipers!

This is the kit

3D715A6F-0F47-4CCB-AE33-A593A001384F_zpsls1vl6df.jpg

and how it would look

F5C09640-0284-4262-8255-8AF6AFF1A750_zpsp4nyuqin.jpg

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Yes it was done on Saturday. It could be temperature related as it was sat on the dyno for a good few minute (running) whilst they messed about with configuration etc. They didn't turn the fan on until just befor ethe runs.

I'm not sure what else could be causing it to be honest as I certainly can't feel a 40bhp drop after 5k revs!

Is it not the DP and cats that restrict the flow, over the OEM exhaust? I would suggest swapping those out to a larger bore version before changing the exhaust to something loud and non-sleeper-esque.