ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
What would you recommend?

I get the impression a DSLR is a big bulky heavy piece of kit, or am I wrong.

It depends what you class as big and bulky, for me this is practically a compact :p

But this is in good condition with all the items you’d want from when it was new for only £165 on Buy It Now, so pretty good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANON-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2586360571

Or even a newer 400D (albeit with less of the stuff the above has)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item19e5e06b7f

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Suppose the bet way is for me to go into a shop and try some out for size etc.

Tbh a DSLR seems overkill for just holiday snaps etc. Are they difficult to use or could i just pick it up and shot.

I'm I right in guessing that megapixels aren't everything? As that's the main thing I look at really.

This is the type of thing I was looking today:-
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...finepix-s6800-bridge-camera-21270348-pdt.html

Yeah I’d do that. I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s overkill, you see many people with beginner DSLR’s like those for holiday photos, it just means you get better quality photos.

And yeah exactly, it’s all down to sensor size. A DSLR sensor and lens is far bigger and better, and will give much clearer images than your common compact/bridge camera.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Merry Christmas, all!

Anybody get anything photo related for Christmas?

I'm loving the new L lens, hopefully I'll have some Landscape stuff coming up soon in the new year :)

172 Cup
I'm looking at getting a camera very soon and having some fun.

Is the canon 600d a good camera to start with? what is the 100d like?

Thanks,
Chris.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Merry Christmas :)
Nothing photo related but I did get a 5 day trip to New York with the wife.
Both will be taking cameras with us. Hopefully pick up something there. Maybe a fisheye, or if money allows, some white glass...

chrisazzy I think Phuzion is selling a 600d. Will be a very good starter camera.

Cayman S Edition 1
I'm looking at getting a camera very soon and having some fun.

Is the canon 600d a good camera to start with? what is the 100d like?

Thanks,J
Chris.

I started with a 600D and used it for a year. Great camera mate.

It's now my backup camera.

Italian 3.2 V6
Looking at buying the canon 17-55 f2.8 ..does anyone have any experience with this lens? Worth the money? It would be replacing my prime 50mm f1.8.

Cheers.

Got a classic minolta 135 mm prime. Now the beauty of this lens is that it's tiny and really light it's not much bigger than a kit lens and will be great for toting around London as the 70-200 is far too heavy for such purposes!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Seen as theres some decent deals in the sales I've narrowed it down to the Canon 1100d, or the Nikon D3100. What would people go for?

I'm edging towards the Canon because of the AF lense choices. Is that the right decision?

Seen as theres some decent deals in the sales I've narrowed it down to the Canon 1100d, or the Nikon D3100. What would people go for?

I'm edging towards the Canon because of the AF lense choices. Is that the right decision?

Focus motor would not be a deciding point for me due to the vast majority of lenses having motors inside.

Base your decision in what one feels better in hand as spec wise they are too similar to call, although I believe the Nikon has slightly better ISO performance.

Any suggestions for good resources/blogs/books for using flash/speedlights? I've decided 2014 is the year I'm going to learn some of the more technical aspects of photography (I'm self taught), flash is the thing I'm most scared of, so it seemed like a good starting point. I've literally taken about 10 photos in my life with flash, all onboard, but I now have a proper, dedicated flashgun. I don't even know the terminology, so I really am starting from scratch.

Being a little unconventional I'm using an X-Pro1 and EXF20 flash with TTL cord, but I guess the concepts/principles are much the same as your standard CaNikon stuff.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at buying the canon 17-55 f2.8 ..does anyone have any experience with this lens? Worth the money? It would be replacing my prime 50mm f1.8.

Cheers.

From reviews I've seen it's said to be a great lens, but I wouldn't replace a 50mm F1.8 with one really.

Any suggestions for good resources/blogs/books for using flash/speedlights? I've decided 2014 is the year I'm going to learn some of the more technical aspects of photography (I'm self taught), flash is the thing I'm most scared of, so it seemed like a good starting point. I've literally taken about 10 photos in my life with flash, all onboard, but I now have a proper, dedicated flashgun. I don't even know the terminology, so I really am starting from scratch.

Being a little unconventional I'm using an X-Pro1 and EXF20 flash with TTL cord, but I guess the concepts/principles are much the same as your standard CaNikon stuff.

Im doing the same albeit via dslr actually dslt! I have 2 flashes! Stands, triggers, soft boxes and a few other flash modifiers all from Rogue. Only thing I am lacking is time to play! I would say that the xpro 1 and that flash isn't the ideal flash system but I know that won't stop you, or indeed limit you. There are loads of one off camera flash tutorials on YouTube, I would say that's where I'm starting!

Italian 3.2 V6
From reviews I've seen it's said to be a great lens, but I wouldn't replace a 50mm F1.8 with one really.

Cheers. I guess I could keep the prime 50mm as there not exactly an expensive lens.

Do you think the 17-55 and my current 10-22 will hold there money well?

Italian 3.2 V6
Infact just been looking at the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM as an alternative option.. Now im usually abit anal & like to stick to canon only, but this seems quite good. Anybody used it?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn’t vouch for your lenses holding their value, but I’m guessing that they will hold quite a bit of value providing they’re in good condition.

As for the Sigma 24-70, I wouldn’t go for a 24-70 on a crop sensor, 24mm on crop is a strange focal length, not wide enough, but not long enough. The 17-55 is a much better option IMO.

Not sure if this a well known thing, but I bought a little Fuji X-M1 as a back up the other day from Amazon, it dropped £40 a few days after I bought it, I asked nicely and they've given me £40 back :) Apparently their general rule is to give a refund within 7 days of delivery if the price drop is significant.

Italian 3.2 V6
Well iv just bought the cokin Circular Polarising filter (p164) & the cokin GND.8 (soft) filter to help improve my landscape photos :) can't wait to use them in the next few days!!

Italian 3.2 V6
So just a few comparison test shots with new filters.

No filters
11683989403_05f0ef5c92_z.jpg

No GND or CPL filter by Piers Hodgson, on Flickr

With GND & CPL filters
11683705025_67720e103f_z.jpg

With GND & CPL filter by Piers Hodgson, on Flickr

Edited.
11684063273_f29b37f950_z.jpg

Edited with filters by Piers Hodgson, on Flickr

Love the new filters! Especially the CPL one. Anyone who hasnt got one, get one!

172 Cup,Gtr,gttdi
Ideas for a camera with an anti reflective back screen or one with a bright screen...

my father in law struggles with the view as he wears glasses...

He already has Fuji film jz,
And an all singing dlsr...
he is a looking for a compact camera.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ideas for a camera with an anti reflective back screen or one with a bright screen...

my father in law struggles with the view as he wears glasses...

He already has Fuji film jz,
And an all singing dlsr...
he is a looking for a compact camera.

I wear glasses .. don't have issues :S

My old Fuji bridge (S5800?) had 'live view' and that had a high contrast button if you were shooting above your head for example in bright sunlight.

If it's when he's viewing photos after taking them, buy him a hat or send him to get his eyes tested !?

Clio 182
Can someone point me in the direction of a link for an ND filter for a D3200 and whether I will need an adapter for it to fit? I have no idea what I'm looking at!

Thanks!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Can someone point me in the direction of a link for an ND filter for a D3200 and whether I will need an adapter for it to fit? I have no idea what I'm looking at!

Thanks!

You need to buy one to fit the lens. Simple as that. Look at the lenses and see what size it is. Probably 58mm .. Look for the o with a / though it.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks!

It depends what you want, you can get the screw in filters, or the ones with a holder.

Personally, I use a 10 Stop screw in filter, with a gradual ND in a filter holder attached to that. If you don’t know what I’m on about give it a quick Google search, there’ll be some more informative sources that should clear things up for you :)

Clio 182
I've been looking for a remote so I can get longer exposure shots but they all mention "bulb mode" which I don't have on my d3200? Any suggestions?

I've been looking for a remote so I can get longer exposure shots but they all mention "bulb mode" which I don't have on my d3200? Any suggestions?

Stick it in manual and scroll to 30sec, bulb should be next. I'm positive it will have a bulb mode, I'm not aware of a DSLR that doesn't.

The good old Nikon ML-L3 will be your best bet, cheap and cheerful but gets the job done.

Clio 182
Stick it in manual and scroll to 30sec, bulb should be next. I'm positive it will have a bulb mode, I'm not aware of a DSLR that doesn't.

The good old Nikon ML-L3 will be your best bet, cheap and cheerful but gets the job done.

Thanks much appreciated!

Clio 182
Had a go at steel wool spinning tonight and could not get the fecker to stay lit! Any tips on the best way to light it? I was just using a general everyday lighter.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Had a go at steel wool spinning tonight and could not get the fecker to stay lit! Any tips on the best way to light it? I was just using a general everyday lighter.
Use the finest grade you can. The thinner it is, the better at staying lit.

Twingo Dynamique
Somebody mentioned filters... I have a cpl, as heard they were kind of a necessity for car shots, (managed to get some rainbow headlights on a mp4-12c) but will others help transform my images? I know it's probably about 70% composition... But I'm sure other beginners will agree, there's just something about the really good pictures you see!!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Somebody mentioned filters... I have a cpl, as heard they were kind of a necessity for car shots, (managed to get some rainbow headlights on a mp4-12c) but will others help transform my images? I know it's probably about 70% composition... But I'm sure other beginners will agree, there's just something about the really good pictures you see!!
CPL’s are good for automotive stuff as you said. Sometimes I use a gradual ND filter in some of my car shots to darken the sky above the car too, such as in this one where both of the filters I mentioned were used-

11654253083_44fd8bafac_z.png

Megane F1 Team by Niall97, on Flickr

But if you’re looking for other filters for general photography a Neutral Density filter would be good for any long exposures you wanted to do, and then the gradual ND filter I mentioned is generally used to darken the skies in whatever scene you’re shooting so that it isn’t overexposed in certain situations :)