ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Cayman S Edition 1
Congrats. I have that flash and a Jessops one.

I'd recommend the Jessops one if I'm honest, as it's cheaper and does a decent job. Infact I'm probably gonna sell my 430 as I just never use it. Only use my Lencarta Safari ringflash or a Elinchrom Dlite 100's for shoots now.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought a 50d!!! :D

Regarding flash, iv also been offered a job doing club shoots.. I'm looking at the 430EX. will this flash suit my needs? Anybody have experience with it?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve used a 430EX and it’s good, just when using it in slave mode it works using infrared, which may or may not be a problem for you, it depends on where you want to place the flash and how far away etc. When I buy some flashes (which I’m planning to do) I’ll be going for the radio ones.

Hi lads,

recently been asked to do weddings, 1. being my cousins and the 2nd being gf's next door neighbour

which ive kindly turned down, due having no experience in that type of photography

just wondering if im made the right choose or should I offer to do candid photo's through out the day and nights?

whats your thoughts?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Right, it’s decision time lens wise. Do I get the Canon 17-40mm F4L or the 24-105mm F4L IS? I’d get the 24-105 if I thought that 24 was going to be wide enough for most situations, so what are everybody’s thoughts?

Hi lads,

recently been asked to do weddings, 1. being my cousins and the 2nd being gf's next door neighbour

which ive kindly turned down, due having no experience in that type of photography

just wondering if im made the right choose or should I offer to do candid photo's through out the day and nights?

whats your thoughts?

As big headed as this sounds, if you've not got any pro gear, or experience then that's definitely the right choice. Weddings are EXTREMELY hard to do. I've done several, but I've stopped now as I don't want the risk anymore. The pressure is unbelievable, and you need to rely on your gear and photographer's eye like never before.

I'f you know them well, ask if you can take pictures throughout the day, but not as the main photographer. But you don't want to get in his/her way if they do get one too.....believe me!!

I'f you know them well, ask if you can take pictures throughout the day, but not as the main photographer. But you don't want to get in his/her way if they do get one too.....believe me!!

Yeah I do know them well, think I may do that,

I've never portrait work before so don't know anything at all, as I don't personally see the big attraction

Cupra
Right, it’s decision time lens wise. Do I get the Canon 17-40mm F4L or the 24-105mm F4L IS? I’d get the 24-105 if I thought that 24 was going to be wide enough for most situations, so what are everybody’s thoughts?

You're FF right? 24-105 should be fine for almost everything. If I was in the market for another walk around, I would probably go for the 24-70 rather than the 24-105. The narrower DOF makes for nicer images than the f4 of the 24-105.

I was at a party recently and a mate was using a 5D with 24-70 and flash, I was using 5DII with 24-105 and flash. His images looked much nicer and the f2.8/ narrower DOF was the only difference.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You're FF right? 24-105 should be fine for almost everything. If I was in the market for another walk around, I would probably go for the 24-70 rather than the 24-105. The narrower DOF makes for nicer images than the f4 of the 24-105.

I was at a party recently and a mate was using a 5D with 24-70 and flash, I was using 5DII with 24-105 and flash. His images looked much nicer and the f2.8/ narrower DOF was the only difference.

I agree, I had a 24-70 but now have a 24-105 and the former was a much nicer lens. Produced much sharper images and the extra stop can make for some nice effects.

Cayman S Edition 1

I only ever shoot with my 24-105. Brilliant lens.

Cayman S Edition 1
As big headed as this sounds, if you've not got any pro gear, or experience then that's definitely the right choice. Weddings are EXTREMELY hard to do. I've done several, but I've stopped now as I don't want the risk anymore. The pressure is unbelievable, and you need to rely on your gear and photographer's eye like never before.

Couldn't agree more. I was the unofficial tog at a friends we'd in last year when I first took up photography. Stressful and tiring kinda covers it.

Would never be in a rush to do another and certainly not as the main tog.

I got pretty ill from dehydration during the days after the first wedding I did. It was a very hot summer's day, and I was so busy concentrating on what I was doing, I forgot to drink! Didn't have a thing to drink all day.

Don't get me wrong, it's really satisfying when you know you just got an epic shot just at the right time.....but on the other hand, if you miss that 'one moment', you can't ask the bride and groom to do it again!

It's after you do a few weddings that you realise why good wedding togs are so expensive.

Niall the 24-105 isn't canons best attempt at a lens. I have processed about 30 files from the lens and a 5d2 and it's more than adequate but doesn't compare to a 24-70 say.

That at said what about the new sigma art 24-105, should at least best the canon version?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I might look at a second hand 24-70mm F2.8L then, it’ll probably have to wait for after christmas with the extra cost though.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got my heart set on the 24-70 now, it’s the same thing as when I was going to get the 70-200mm F4L but I went for the 2.8 and I’m glad I did now.

Not an equipment specific question, but is anyone else finding they just aren't taking many photos at the moment?
I've taken a whole 5 shots in the last month and a half.
In fact, I thought my camera was broken so left it in the cupboard for a few weeks.
Went to try and 'repair' it tonight expecting the worst... turns out I'd knocked the screen display to 'off' so nothing was coming up.
What a numpty!

Cayman S Edition 1
Not an equipment specific question, but is anyone else finding they just aren't taking many photos at the moment?
I've taken a whole 5 shots in the last month and a half.
In fact, I thought my camera was broken so left it in the cupboard for a few weeks.
Went to try and 'repair' it tonight expecting the worst... turns out I'd knocked the screen display to 'off' so nothing was coming up.
What a numpty!

I only shoot a couple of times a month at the mo. Did a nice glamour shoot though on saturday with Terrie Hawkes and then a family shoot sunday.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve not shot much general stuff, I’ve had quite a few car shoots in a row, and another on wednesday, but it’s good for the lens fund :p

I’ve got my heart set on the 24-70 now, it’s the same thing as when I was going to get the 70-200mm F4L but I went for the 2.8 and I’m glad I did now.
24-200 at f2.8 would cover 99% of my shooting! A great twin lens combo.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
24-200 at f2.8 would cover 99% of my shooting! A great twin lens combo.

Yeah it should be a good lens lineup. I’ll have that range with some great glass, then my 50 F1.4 for some nice shallow DoF when I want it, and the 15mm Fisheye for the odd photo when the time is right.

Italian 3.2 V6
Congrats. I have that flash and a Jessops one.

I'd recommend the Jessops one if I'm honest, as it's cheaper and does a decent job. Infact I'm probably gonna sell my 430 as I just never use it. Only use my Lencarta Safari ringflash or a Elinchrom Dlite 100's for shoots now.

Which jessops flash is it?

just been reading up and I think I may have issues with using the flash off-camera.. Will need to buy an addition sync cable?

Cheers.

Cayman S Edition 1
Which jessops flash is it?

just been reading up and I think I may have issues with using the flash off-camera.. Will need to buy an addition sync cable?

Cheers.

They only do one for canon I think.

Regarding off camera flash, you can buy a wireless trigger for the flash as well. That's what I used to use.

Just after air-show season finished, I upgraded all of my kit to FF and swapped me EF-S 55-250 to a 70-200 F\2.8. I know full well, that this isn't a great lens for aviation, so I was thinking of getting a x2 TC for it. However, from experience, for air-shows, 400mm can be a little restricting, so I was considering getting a special air-show-only body with a crop sensor so I would be getting around a 640mm focal length.

As the new body would only be used for outdoors, ISO and low light capability wouldn't need to be amazing and so, this idea may be cheaper for me than buying a second 100-400mm lens and a converter anyway.

So, the options are:

My existing 6D with the additional purchase of a 100-400 F4 lens and a x2 TC
My existing 70-200 with the additional purchase of a used 500D (~£150) and a x2 TC

I'm open to additional suggestions. Naturally, I want to keep this as low budget as possible whilst retaining / gaining quality in my pictures as aviation is a big part of my photography during the summer.

Thanks in advance...

Italian 3.2 V6
Well 50d arrived n what a stunning camera! Just had to go buy a CF card as it totally slipped my mind it doesn't take SD! Also bought a Nd filter & square adaptor etc.

So now I'm just waiting on my flash & sync cord to arrive and il be entering a new relm of photography! I can't wait so excited lol.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The 50d is a lovely camera. The only thing I noticed about it the other day (the Mrs has one) is that the ISO only go's up to 3200.
I suppose if you have the right lenses then you will be OK but could struggle in certain situations.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
But with that sensor you don’t really want to go past 3200 if you want your photos to look even half decent really.

Cayman S Edition 1
I have a 5D mkIII and never take it past 800 lol. Deff wanna keep it as low as possible for good quality.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
If absolutely necessary I have taken my 5D Mark II to 2000 without major problems, still some grain though. But it’s worse with the Canon crop cameras.

Italian 3.2 V6
Just a quick one..

First paid job shooting in a club tonight.. Equipment - 50d - 10-22mm - off camera jessops flash.

What settings do you guys recomend? Especially the flash settings? Ino it heavily depends on how well lit the club is etc but just to get an idea and to compare your setting with what I'm thinking.

Italian 3.2 V6
Lol, I'm on it although after reading a few websites they reckon 1000-1600 iso is required :O