ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mountain Lion - OS X.8

Really impressed with Safari, almost enough to fully convert me from Opera. Only thing holding me back is the thought of transferring 8/9 years worth of bookmarks and RSS feeds :cry:

Yeah I've just done both now, the last time I tried exporting my bookmarks from Opera I remember it being a right pain in the ass. Oh well.

LY 182
Yeah its pretty simple, just open up the app, go to preferences, accounts and sign in with your iCloud account. Then just tick enable this account and when you start a message you should see all your iCloud/phone contacts to choose from.

Got it set up, and I've been texting a mate with iMessage from my MacBook but it's not syncing with my phone for some reason. Strange.

Ibiza FR
Just updated after getting fed up with waiting for Apple to send my up to date code through. Got £70 free with my Macbook Air anyway, so was still free in a way. Seems very snappy and I like the new dock. Hopefully explore a few more of the features over the weekend.

What's all this about codes? I downloaded mine from the app store and it automatically installed and rebooted itself without prompting for codes :s

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
You require a code if you purchased a new mac recently as they had an offer where you got a free upgrade.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Installed last night, bit quicker and safari is nice haven't really played with anything else... Apart from trying to use mail for hotmail (I know hotmail is s**t but I still use it occasionally) and mail has Microsoft exchange... But I can't find the server address if anyone knows it?

Apart from that it's good :) think I need a ssd though

Still no code for me, lots of people giving in and buying it then hoping for a refund from Apple...best of luck with that one.

I know it's annoying and they promised it quicker but it's not exactly a vital thing. You still have Lion. That still works.

Enjoy the sunshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine and people dancing in a line at the Olympics later and sort it out next week.

Bus w**ker
What's that?

Basically still does things like system updates and Time Machine whilst the machine is sleeping and it doesn't light up, fire up any fans etc whilst it's doing it.

Still no code for me, lots of people giving in and buying it then hoping for a refund from Apple...best of luck with that one.

Same here. When I rang the bloke was really appologetic, checked the system and said I'd been approved but apart from that everyone just needed to wait for the servers to catch up with the backlog and that it shouldn't take more than 72 hours. It's annoying but like Dan says I can still fully use Lion so it's not the end of the world.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
The airplay/mirroring thing only working on the latest mbp's is such a w**k thing, I can stream from my mbp easy so it's got to be possible, just seems like apple is giving all the new features only to the latest customers and dropping the others :( I mean I have an early 11 mbp with a i7 and apple just won't let me watch p**n on my mac mirrored to my tv :(

Had some more playtime now. Really good. Quicker than Lion, and the new Safari is super fast. Nice new backgrounds, too.

Also, I wasn't expecting Sparrow to work with Notification Centre. Alpha.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
My machine is back up to speed now. It must have been f**king about with updates when I said it was slower.

Messages is cool. I always found it annoying when my phone went off and I had to get up (yeah, I'm that lazy). Syncing up perfectly with my iPhone and iPad. Too bad two of my mates have Android phones. Might just ditch them.

Edit: Wait, wut? Sparrow works with notification centre. Mine doesn't (I'm running poverty spec free version though).

dk

911 GTS Cab
Also just noticed that Safari refreshes when you swipe back a page. Pretty sure it didn't do that before?
I hope you can turn that off, as I prefer it not to update personally.

Im on lion and think safari is fast as it is, so I can't see how much faster it can be, I'll probably update tomorrow.

Personally, I can't think of a reason why you'd rather swipe back to a page that could potentially be out of date.

EDIT: In any case, although it appears to go through the motions, I don't think it actually does.

EDIT 2: It doesn't.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
LOL.

What is power nap and is it only applicable to my MBP? Only updated the iMac so far and can't see any options on it?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Personally, I can't think of a reason why you'd rather swipe back to a page that could potentially be out of date.

EDIT: In any case, although it appears to go through the motions, I don't think it actually does.

EDIT 2: It doesn't.
Sounds like what the iPad does then, the blue bar starts to fill as you go back?

Then if it's been an hour of so, when you go back it will actually reload it properly? The iPad uses it to mask the lack of ram I think.

The reason I like going back sometimes, is when you've bought something, then realise you want to go back to the receipt or summary on the previous page, if it doesn't reload you get what you want, I'd it does then you've lost it as the session has ended. Or if the transaction fails on the next screen, you can go back and try again, if it has to reload, again, you can lose what you have done up until that point.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
After a little persistence with Safari, it does actually appear to be very fast.

Why would it be fast now but not when I first tried it?

Bus w**ker
LOL.

What is power nap and is it only applicable to my MBP? Only updated the iMac so far and can't see any options on it?

No I've been reading up on it more, whilst waiting for my code, and its only for notebooks with SSD. Gutted, don't really understand the reasoning for that as it would be really useful on desktops too IMO but I suppose that's Apple. May come in the future hopefully.

Audi S1
Okay just downloaded it...

My Parallels Desktop isn't compatible - needs to be updated. This is going to be a problem lol and I'm on call tonight. Also SABNZB isn't working, also not compatible. FFS I upgraded to the new OS to be up to date, not stop my applications from working.

Can you adjust these security settings?

7658254070_03a819f7d4.jpg

Last edited:
  Audi S1
Managed to download a free trail of PD to get me through the next 2 weeks. Lucky! I would have had to have gone into the office otherwise if I was called!

Audi S1
Okay just downloaded it...

My Parallels Desktop isn't compatible - needs to be updated. This is going to be a problem lol and I'm on call tonight. Also SABNZB isn't working, also not compatible. FFS I upgraded to the new OS to be up to date, not stop my applications from working.

Can you adjust these security settings?

View attachment 82097

I managed to get around it. I was being a bit of a n00b.

Guide for those who need it - http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-change-security-preferences-in-mac-os-x-sno.html