ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Golf in brief so far

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
get a boy to do it lol... will be out in no time, bit of heat and either a rattle gun or a biiiiiiig breaker bar....

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
WTF is that?? I've used bigger tools to remove a radio!

Get a proper ratchet and a scaffold bar on it.

IMG_6637.jpg

limted tool selection lol, the black bar in the pic had been used, but wasnt doing anything lol

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
get a boy to do it lol... will be out in no time, bit of heat and either a rattle gun or a biiiiiiig breaker bar....

if there were any boys around i would have lol, the guy from the workshop down the rd popped in n i was going to ask him but then he looked more girlie than me so i didnt bother

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
the thing is that bolts not actually screwed to anything, the nuts been removed... its just welded its self in lol

be reet, im just not very strong n ran out of time lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
hang on if the nuts out, sod using a ratchet, get a lump hammer and smash the fucker out backwards... couple shocks with break the rust that you call weld lol.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
tried... lol

i swung at that with all my might n nout, the idea was to turn it to losen it then smash it out... just wasnt happening lol
tbh i must have been using a decent amount of force because i was worried about knocking it off the axle stands lol

1st time ive not been able to undo anything on this, im sure it will come out this week tho. soon as thats out i can clean up the inner arches n prep the outside.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I'd lend you mine, if you werent so far away!

scafold pole / breaker bar will be your best bet

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
anyone any good at making brake lines?
Got to say i am the nuts at making brake lines from the copper brake pipe on a roll, i use the Automec stuff with there fittings and the Sykes Pickavant flaring tool.
I have been making them for over 10 years on Aston Martins and have never had one leak...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
If its not got a nut on it try a breaker bar and standing on it, should free the bolt from the hub if jump on it..

Turbo Beige
I could if I had one... I don't lol. I have the basics but that's usually enough.

Where abouts are you based?

How long is that bar? I have a nice 2.5 ft breaking bar that hasn't failed me yet, and it can always be extended with a scafold pole!!

EP3 Civic Type R
Builds look great.

Laura, don't let these lads bully you lol. Buy some new tools- you can't rebuild a car on limited toola! Get an impact gun on it, but as saidbest thing is a huge breaker bar. I have a 3ft one (lol) I'd be lost without it, especially when I used to work on the Nova's and the RS Turbo. You need some proper leverage! Get someone to help and whilst you move the bolt with a breaker bar get them to smack the bolt from the other side...

Good luck

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Where abouts are you based?

How long is that bar? I have a nice 2.5 ft breaking bar that hasn't failed me yet, and it can always be extended with a scafold pole!!

Builds look great.

Laura, don't let these lads bully you lol. Buy some new tools- you can't rebuild a car on limited toola! Get an impact gun on it, but as saidbest thing is a huge breaker bar. I have a 3ft one (lol) I'd be lost without it, especially when I used to work on the Nova's and the RS Turbo. You need some proper leverage! Get someone to help and whilst you move the bolt with a breaker bar get them to smack the bolt from the other side...

Good luck

Ha ha, my breaker bar/penis is bigger than yours!!!

We used to use very long poles when taking bolts off the loading shovels at work, but the plus side with them was the bolts were very hard steel so there was never an issue with rounding them off! All I would say is b careful, there is a lot of force and if it goes wrong you could damage yourself, or worse the car!!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i have enough tools for the job dont worry, slowly filling my mahooosive tool box. all the hard parts are dont now, this bolt is the last thing on the whole car to come off, then everthing is going back on :D

really taking shape, cant wait to get it on the rd :D

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
a year lol but the 1st 2 months i ddint have a workshop so it was sat on my exs drive, then i couldnt really work on iot over the winter/snow as the workshop was 100% closed off

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
38556_423028013483_505458483_4544992_3330894_n.jpg

getting there :D

boot lid now stripped and glass removed ready to paint alog with the rest of the shell
engine was mostly built up last night :D

Clio 1.2 16v
Just went through the whole thread, looks like it's coming along nicely!

Always loved Golfs, would really like to get myself one at some point.

How much longer do you reckon it will be until it's all done?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
another 3 months ish i recon...depends how much i get my bum in gear lol

wouldnt ever take it to the ED38 show, full of chavs n scene *****s lol

really not that much to do now, once its painted and the engines in, its easy peasy from there in :D

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
another 3 months ish i recon...depends how much i get my bum in gear lol

wouldnt ever take it to the ED38 show, full of chavs n scene *****s lol

really not that much to do now, once its painted and the engines in, its easy peasy from there in :D

Ultimate dubs or inters then ??

Thought you were painting it yourself?

Seriously... knock up a polythene tent, hire a compressor and get painting. Man up!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i was going to but the 2 lads i share the unit with are not working on thier cars n there isnt enough space to do it really, its possible but would not be a great finish as there would be dust n crap in it, so maybe worth paying the monies to get someoene to do it properly n make it uber shiney

need to do some ringing around see if its worth my while or if its going to b very expensive ill do it myself

Thats why you need to knock up a cheap polythene spray booth to stop the dust. Do it properly and slowly 1 panel at a time flattening back when required and there's no reason you can't achieve a really good finish yourself, fella.

Think of the achievement doing it yourself... start to finish would be all your own work!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I see what Dan's sayin, but then on the flip side, paint is so critical, i would be gutted with 1 run!! Go with a pro, shouldn't...Shouldn't cost that much!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
problem is i have about a foot from the back of the car to the wall and about a foot from the front to the next car... need a bigger workshop lol

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Exactly do all the prep work yourself and that will drop the price a lot!

Loving the rocker cover!

TTRS & V50
TBH, prep work is the bit that takes so bloody long, so you would save a fortune prepping and getting it masked up just so it can go straight in the booth sprayed and baked, and then you do the rest of un-masking it, flatting down and mopping/polishing.

Also excuse my ignorance but why is there an air line bit sticking out the rocker cover ?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
its for a breather hose, as the rocker is off a different engine that didnt have the breather as is needed

right spoken to a body shop who will paint it for £250 as long as all he needs to do is paint it :D

BUT i need a way of getting it there which i feel is where im going to really struggle... i need to find a trailer lol