ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
Yea I have heard that about switzerland lol. How do you get on at the F/TR? Im planning on having a go soon.

I would say orange wheels and calipers :)

Kepp up the good work!

I did think Orange Orange but then there is no contrast. Also I have not seen any Orange calliper paint.

BMW Z4
Bought a MK1 dash now, picking it up on Saturday. Next big build for me is 8th 9th 10th of April where I will be doing the following

Fit KW v2 suspension (front rear)
Fit front brakes and discs
Weld front wishbone bushes and refit (doh)
Fit front brake lines
Fit front ARB sensors (smashed the other ones getting them off)
Fit ARP rod bolts
Paint engine
Clean and then paint gearbox
Fit cambelt kit
Fit Air con delete kit
Get dash flocked
Remove dash bars/metal plus any other brackets inside I have missed
Remove roof sound deadening
Fit plastic door windows (fronts only)
Fit steering boss and quick release

Car back on its wheels

Take car to get cage fitted

See how much of that I actually get done!!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Good luck is all I'll say!!! Sounds like a lot to fit in, defiantly need lots of strong coffee or crystal meth then you can do 20 hour days!!

Merc A class
Bought a MK1 dash now, picking it up on Saturday. Next big build for me is 8th 9th 10th of April where I will be doing the following

Fit front brake lines
Fit ARP rod bolts
Paint engine
Fit cambelt kit
Fit Air con delete kit
Get dash flocked

Car back on its wheels

Take car to get cage fitted

See how much of that I actually get done!!

Big list of things to do there! Good luck.

If you haven't got any one to flock your dash check these guys out they did my dash. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...st-any-flocker)&highlight=Review+of+autoflock :D

BMW Z4
I have to try and get all that done to keep on schedule, not easy building a race car when you live in Switzerland LOL Chris is gonna help me so we will see how we go.

Cheers for the flock link..

Gearbox, engine and wishbones im gonna do this weekend so that should lighten the April weekend a bit

BMW Z4
Hi Guys

Well out of this little lot

Fit front brake lines
Fit ARP rod bolts
Paint engine
Fit cambelt kit
Fit Air con delete kit
Get dash flocked

I got this done

Fit KW v2 suspension (rear)
Weld front wishbone bushes and refit after being re powder coated
Fit ARP rod bolts
Paint engine
Get dash flocked (sent it away)
Fit steering boss and Lifeline quick release
Grind off steering lock and other column brackets and then get column powder coated
Removed fuel lines
Removed flywheel
Removed Clutch

The car is being picked up tomorrow to have the cage put in so I am fitting standard front suspension while they do that. I shall post up pics of all the recnt bits I have aquired :) The calipers I am VERY pleased with and also the KWV2 looks great, very pleased.

Took the decision NOT to tune this engine. I am putting this car back together with an albeit standard engine so i can get out on some track days and learn setups. I am buying a second engine which I will develop alongside the car as my bad ass engine :) This will enable me to use the car whilst building an awesome race engine at the same time.

Pics to follow.

PS
I wanted to order some new rear subframe bolts but when I rang Renault he said they come in 3 lengths? Trouble is one of mine is odd so im not sure what to ask him for? Any ideas here?

Golf GTD Mk7
I was just wondering where you had got to ;) Sounds like a nice amount got done. FYI these threads are useless without pics :cool:

BMW Z4
Yeh I know but I left the camera in Boro and im in Bern so could not update :( Will update with all the pics this weekend.

Lotus Elise
Cant wait to see that subframe after your first trip through a gravel trap :D

Car is coming along nicely looking forward to seeing it on track.

182cup & 172 racecar
I wanted to order some new rear subframe bolts but when I rang Renault he said they come in 3 lengths? Trouble is one of mine is odd so im not sure what to ask him for? Any ideas here?

Are you on about the six long bolts that hold the frame to the car,if so, those silly clip things are crap,so we just got some long bolts and washers,did the job a treat.

BMW Z4
6 long bolts Tony? Mine has 4! Two long one at the rear and two shorter ones at the front.

Back in Bern now so can get on with doing these pictures.

BMW Z4
Hi Guys

So here are the last update pictures....

Of course my KW suspension finally arrived :) Mmm very nice too I must say.

KW%20Arrives.jpg

Like a kid in a sweet shop I am

KW%20Unvieled.jpg

KW%20Complete.jpg

A nice view of the front strut showing the camber adjustment bolt

KW%20front%20Strut.jpg

So I set about fitting the rears first.

KW%20Rears%20Fitted.jpg

And

KW%20Rears%20Fitted2.jpg

The rear Shox

KW%20Rear%20Shox%20LH.jpg

And

KW%20Rear%20Shox%20RH.jpg

Next I unwrapped the new front calipers :)

Brembo%20front%20Calipers.jpg

Side View

Brembo%20Side%20Shot.jpg

Rear View

Brembo%20Rear%20Shot.jpg

My nice new Top Mounts

Top%20Mounts.jpg

Top%20Mounts%202.jpg

So Most of this lot enabled me to get the car on its wheels, however I did not fit the fronts as on the same day the nice chap from Custom Cages came and took the car away :) So I only fitted old shox on the front while they do this. I guess I will get the car back in around two to three weeks and then I will fit the front shox and brakes and post those pictures up.

Custom Cages are also painting the inside so one more less job for me to do :) Oh yes I also picked up my lightened Flywheel mmmm and will post a pick of that too as it's a work of art.

Anyway as I was finsihed for the day I decided to start on the manifold wrap. I had bought two rolls of the titanium wrap but sadly needed I would say about 5 as I ran out as you can see. I also found wetting the wrap enabled me to get it on really tight. Once done I shall seal it in white.

Manifold%20Wrap%20Start.jpg

When I ran out

Manifold%20Wrap%20Run%20Out.jpg

Mark.

PS
End of April I can start in earnest on rebuild as I will have all the parts I need and the car will be back from cage fitting (hopes).

PPS
I know I have to fit the rubber bushes on the rear springs at the tops :)

Last edited:
  BMW Z4
Hi Gray

No Matt tells me they will fit a 15. I'm running 16s though initially but will try some 15's to see if there is any difference. Chris I can't remember what the pads are but will check the box next week and elt you know. They were £300 ish for the whole car!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
great progress again mate
very much keeping an eye on this build,

what you doing interior wise for heat? you keeping blowers or going for a heated screen etc?

BMW Z4
great progress again mate
very much keeping an eye on this build,

what you doing interior wise for heat? you keeping blowers or going for a heated screen etc?

All the heaters etc have gone now. I'm going the heated screen route. Driver warmth im not bothered about as I don't intend on doing a winter series and after doing 6 hour karting in the rain being inside with wipers is a bonus as far as im concerned :) Who needs heat :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
All the heaters etc have gone now. I'm going the heated screen route. Driver warmth im not bothered about as I don't intend on doing a winter series and after doing 6 hour karting in the rain being inside with wipers is a bonus as far as im concerned :) Who needs heat :)

thats how my thoughts are going, have you found a supplier? i have just started to look

BMW Z4
If you're using those Brembo calipers on track (and changing pads a fair bit) then it's worth ditching the standard pins and getting a set of these:

http://www.meganesport.net/communit...d-sliders-pins-2-designs&highlight=brake+pins

The standard pins are complete tatt and seize as so you so much as look at them. You can get them out with brute force and ignorance but the items in the above link will save you a world of stress and pain. :)

Cheers, I will register and take a look, after this project i want a meganne Trophy so might aswell register now eh :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice work Mark. How come you went for the V1's instead of V2's? Just curious ;)

Any decent synthetic oil (5w40) engine and 75w90 or 75w80 GB will be fine. Brake wise, dot 4 super works well, but not sure how it would fare with endurance. 5.1 might be a better bet.

Have I missed somewhere what spec you are doing the engine?:S

BMW Z4
Nice work Mark. How come you went for the V1's instead of V2's? Just curious ;)

Any decent synthetic oil (5w40) engine and 75w90 or 75w80 GB will be fine. Brake wise, dot 4 super works well, but not sure how it would fare with endurance. 5.1 might be a better bet.

Have I missed somewhere what spec you are doing the engine?:S

They are V2's arnt they? At least they should be. The front and rear shox are adjustable on mine which suggest V2 as the V1 are not AFAIK

Mark.

PS
This engine is going to be used just for TDT this year and track day, no tuning just a tidy, larger throttle cable body and a lightened fly. At the same time I shall be buying and tuning a second engine for endurance.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
They are V2's arnt they? At least they should be. The front and rear shox are adjustable on mine which suggest V2 as the V1 are not AFAIK

Mark.

PS
This engine is going to be used just for TDT this year and track day, no tuning just a tidy, larger throttle cable body and a lightened fly. At the same time I shall be buying and tuning a second engine for endurance.

I thought v2s rear shocks where shock/coil in one unit. Could be wrong though :S you running ec1?

Qashcow
Do the brembo calipers easily fit the mk2's? Are the brackets readily available? Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them also, or did you get them through Matt?