ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Tackage coming on then. Matt will help me get as near as damn it to the class B limit of 175bhp at the wheels/ton Matt reckons we should do the Dubai 24hour

They help with shipping the car
I lived there
It's warmer :)
Track is awesome
There is a beach
A Spa
It's warmer
It dont rain
No wind
Sexy pit girls
Loads of money floating around hence sexy pit girls

Hmmm tempted, must do some track day trophy first though to cut our teeth with the car.

PS
Yes will let you all know when I take it to a tarck day or a race.

It'll be Mick (our senior engine engineer) and myself who get you bob on that limit with Steve (senior engine builder) doing the greasy bits. If you want to be really flash we can strain gauge the driveshafts and run closed loop torque control to ensure you are generating 175bhp ATW for as long as possible.... that is a bit pricey though, although very good for monitoring engine drop off etc. Works well for RBR ;)

Dubai 24 is a great race and the assistance with getting cars/kit over there is great.

LOL Sorry I do go a bit techy on occasion! The above refers to measuring "twist" in the driveshafts to determine engine torque/power. Basically kitting the car out with an 'on board dyno'. This tech is used in F1 by pretty much all the teams.

9 pages, 5 posts from me? Not quite 80% ;)

I can post some more pictures though, been running the WRC lumps again today. ALS makes the entire exhaust stack glow :D

Lol. Yeah, but we're learning so it's fine :)

I think we need to have another open day and get a few lectures going in the meeting room, practical demos in the workshops etc. One of the things we're keen on is supply education with the products and services we provide so our customers who aren't pro-motorsport/OEM can make sensible, informed decisions on the direction they wish to go with their track/road/race cars.

Even simple stuff such as sticking a damper on the damper dyno and showing how moving the adjuster changes the dampers properties is a real eye opener.

Lionel Richie
^can you please stop pretending!

a proper lecture "drink this"....................................................£60 in mcd's...............................beat up germans..................................done

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
^can you please stop pretending!

a proper lecture "drink this"....................................................£60 in mcd's...............................beat up germans..................................done

Very educational tbf. Solve this equation:

If person a (let's call him Fred) leaves the till with 5 drinks, how many drinks does he have when he sits down?

Lionel Richie
Solve this equation then India

If person a (let's call him Matt) forgets to leave the heatng on in his house, what do his guests do for heating (other than chasing the chickens round the field)

182cup & 172 racecar
Im so glad someone is doing this from scratch with a road car!

I would love to have the budget to attempt something similar but this following this from start to finish will have to do for now.

I've been to the Britcar 24h since 2007 camping with a few mates in most recent times and it literally is a great race to go to. Maybe get a few to head down from here to rule the camping roost @ the 24h come the autumn in support?

Anyway if you need a free spare pair of hands (taking my place in the queue for this one) I'd love to help out in any way possible. Although mechanically i'm useless i'll be there anyway come the race and im sure an odd job or two will need doing!
We did it last year.;)
http://burpspeed.com/Burpspeed/Home.html

BMW Z4
Out of interest, are you going for standard suspension with some bushes added to keep costs down or is it not worth going further?

What about rose jointed arms?
Altered top mounts like the x85 cc cars etc?

You going for full rear coilovers or spring pans?

What suspension setup are you going for?

Matt is advising and helping with various aspects of this project now one of which is suspension setup and brakes. I don't want to go silly money on either as with zero experience I wont notice the difference. Much better to start with good quality kit and then as you learn upgrade it. Then you will be better placed to see what changes are having an effect on your driving and performance.

PS
Before buying the CLio I was offered several drives in Britcar always with the line "for a well funded driver" but I'm not daft with my money as it's been hard earnt. A steadily improving Clio I felt would be a more gentle route into motorsport. I also need to keep mine initially to Nick and Chris's budget as it was agreed we would race each other in the same class in TDT.

Last edited:
Nice info Matt. Do any suspension Artois for the Clio start involving different turrets, more adjustable top mounts, different wishbone configurations etc? Speaking from 106 experience I know the serious racers have widened track by moving tip mounts outwards, wider wishbones, altered rear trailing arms etc. Just wondered if any of this happenedon clios? As I said, I have never really seen anything more extreme than coilovers and roll bar. What about the btcc Clio? What setup does that have?

(ps I love suspension more than engines lol)

Golf GTD Mk7
Matt is advising and helping with various aspects of this project now one of which is suspension setup and brakes. I don't want to go silly money on either as with zero experience I wont notice the difference. Much better to start with good quality kit and then as you learn upgrade it. Then you will be better placed to see what changes are having an effect on your driving and performance.

PS
Before buying the CLio I was offered several drives in Britcar always with the line "for a well funded driver" but I'm not daft with my money as it's been hard earnt. A steadily improving Clio I felt would be a more gentle route into motorsport. I also need to keep mine initially to Nick and Chris's budget as it was agreed we would race each other in the same class in TDT.

You getting some big ass TDF decals for the car ;)

Schma Schme 1.6l
good luck with it. if you want a 4th driver to get the car up the grid, martin byford would be ur man! he ran in the jazz for honda last yr and did well.

Last edited:
  BMW Z4
Tricked you, no pictures yet. Just in case you thought I had gone and died :)

The next update will be end of Feb. Matt and I have been working hard speccing out brakes and suspension which are being made now along with custom top mounts. I shall pick those up on March 4th and fit the whole bottom end so I can get it over to matts for roll cage and wiring. The powder (in orange) coating of the subframe and wishbones is all done and my bro has got the rear axle and hubs blasted for me so thats all ready to go back on. My nephew has been cleaning the engine and gearbox with a toothbrush so that's ready for me to spray.

I shall do a large update of pictures once I get this first batch of parts in two weeks time. Can't wait :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice bit of kit indeed. I'd be getting some too if they fit my hubs :S. Freds german venture is taking a while :(

What hubs don't fit the kw's then?

Interesting about going for v2's was that budget driven or best overall performance? Expected something racier on a track only car but guess it shows how good standard kw stuff is

BMW Z4
We discussed this long and my point was I can spend a grand a corner on shox but at the moment I cant drive, well i can but I need to learn and because of that I did'nt want to go silly on suspension as im not going to notice the difference because im not good enough to really make it work.

KW V2 is a very good shock and will allow me to learn and then upgrade later where at that point I will see the difference.

lift number 1 @ btm
I was going to ask about them too, are they straight out of the box, or have you specced them for yourself?

Golf GTD Mk7
What hubs don't fit the kw's then?

Interesting about going for v2's was that budget driven or best overall performance? Expected something racier on a track only car but guess it shows how good standard kw stuff is

Yeah mate, out the box stuff, but they don't fit 182 cup pack hubs. Bolt spacing is out by 2 mm