ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
Hi Guys

Well it begins. I am building a car to enter this years britcar 24 hour at Silverstone in October. Myself and my mates Nick and Chris (who also have Clio's) will be driving with possibly a 4th driver. I have bought a standard 182.

Here are some pictures before I take my spanners to it :)

Front View

Clio182front.JPG

Rear View

Clio182rear.JPG

Rear View 2

Clio182rear2.JPG

Side View

Clio182rearequarter.JPG

Engine

Clio182engine.JPG

As you can see not a mod in sight (yet)

Ok the baics of the project are this:

Full race spec for britcar with between 250 and 300 bhp from the engine. We might go paddle shift but will see how the year goes.

I'm going to run the project in phases and buy a second engine to develop whilst setting the car and chassis up on the standard engine.

Phase one starts tomorrow which is complete strip and engine out :) Pics to follow.

Mark

PS
I will be selling the interior complete which is in very good condition and also the wheels and tyres (16 inch). Will post this in for sale.

Why didn't you just buy an ex Clio Cup car and save all the time and sore heads ??! :S This would give you much more time to get testing and upto a half decent race pace ?
Any of you raced before ?

Best of luck to all of you! I hope you're getting a big tank to feed the angry little lump up front! What are you planning chassis wise?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
fair play to you for giving this a go.....will be interesting to see how this unfolds!

keep us all updated with loads of pictures too :)

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
This should be an exciting challenge. Do you have the added fun of getting your race licences? Having been karting the last few years i'm hoping I can get my car running for racing next year. Good luck on getting it ready for October. If business is good this year I might fancy that fourth driver role if the opportunity is still there and it does not clash with my race calender.

Kev

BMW Z4
Williams. Tis a good question and I shall attempt to answer it.

I actually wanted to take my aston and turn it into a GT4 but my mates talked me out of that. Then I wanted to buy a meganne trophy and race that and again my mates talked me out of it. lets get some experience first they said. We have ZERO race experience, however we have 4 years of running in the British endurance kart champs so are all good drivers. I also LOVE a good project and as I used to own a garage also LOVE tinkering and spannering. If I had bought a race car or a Clio cup car it would not have felt like it was mine. I want to build something and then try and win with it.

There is immense satisfation of building something yourself, for me anyway and this is why I did'nt buy a car ready to race. The Clio is actually a surprsingly good choivce for britcar prod saloon class becauseof power to weight. Apart from that the whole thing will be a load of fun for me and my mates and THAT IS the only point to motor sport of any kind as far as I can see.

This link is me in Robot wars with our second robot Executioner :) As I said I like building things ;) damned speed controller blew or we would have won that heat. That machine had a fully tuned stihl chainsaw motor powering a 35kg verticle disc :) It was hmmm dangerous. This is our spinner test ha ha

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
You were on robot wars? Sick!
Good luck to you all, I'll come and watch from the pits on the day :)

BMW Z4
Yeh everyone said we could'nt do it so we did :) First robot Executioner one was a hydraulic press but we scrapped it as it did'nt drive well and we built evo two with the spinner. When matey on britcar highlights said he had a Clio and could not overtake anything that was like a red rag to a bull to me ROFL. He drives a leon Cupra now.

Chris and Nick have gorgeous track Clios, I shall post pics of them. We shall take 3 clios to Britcar, mine for the race and Chris and Nicks for spares so we can keep going for the whole 24 hours. We figure with two whole cars there as donors we will have a spare for any eventuality short of a seriously bent chassis.

PS
kam we are going to do our race licenses together on one of the do it in a day things.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Wow! I love the ambition you guys have and look forward to seeing how this project progresses.
Tom (JMS) and I are teaming up with a view to go racing in 2012 with his 182, rebuilt to a race car spec. We like you, have zero racing experience but are very much looking forward to the challenge.
Obviously we also have to go thru the process of getting our racing licences!
I'd imagine your budget is substantially larger than ours though!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Look forward to seeing this develop!

Robot wars ftw!

Anymore pics of the Aston? I <3 Astons

Golf GTD Mk7
Epic. What's the cost/criteria for entering? Presume it's will be like topgear but without the stig ;)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Look forward to following your progress on this. Sounds like it'll be a fun project for you all.

Lionel Richie
250-300bhp (so boosted then?) and a sequential box? that's £20K straight away then LOL!!! sounds like an expensive project!

you wouldn't catch me running a boosted F4R on an enduro run, f**k that!

this is a £40K project all day long, deep pockets required!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
ooooooo can I have some of your money - A wise man once told me that boosted F4Rs are perfectly fine as road going cars but you push one for too long and it's end game. GL to you though!!

Last edited:
  BMW Z4
Budget is about 20 grand if we go sadev and paddle shift but that will be spread over the year as I live in Switzerland I can only do this weekends I am back as opposed to tinkering in the evenings and doing it faster.

Quite a bit cheaper if we stick with manual change box. I have specced 7k on the engine alone but again with some cash deals might get this a bit cheaper.

The citeria for entering is you just enter and build the car to their regs. Who says we have'nt got the stig? :) ha ha.

Some pics of the Aston

AstonDetailed.JPG

After Alcantara work

Interior.JPG

Stelvio Pass before I thrashed it down.

Me_At_Stelvio.JPG

Mark.

PS
I don't think we are allowed to sup or turbo in britcar so will be normally asp only. Ive been told we can easily get 250 to 300 with cams and throttle bodies but we will see once it's built what the real figures are. Don't know myself never built one of these. I would rather have a 780kg and a reliable 250 than a flakey 300 as it is 24 hours afterall.

PPS
25k if I add in car cost. We will see what the final figure is though. It will be what it is at the end of the day. Executioner cost 20k all told as we had T10 tit from alumet and dyneema armour panels LOL so I wont be surprised if this goes over my guesses.

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
have you budgeted for tyres and fuel for the race? thats about £6K alone

no offense, but £20K won't be enough IMO

172 Race Car
Its about £4k to enter is it not?

You wont get 250bhp for £7k unless boosted. 300bhp is going to cost £££££££

Good luck with it all

Lionel Richie
Ive been told we can easily get 250 to 300 with cams and throttle bodies but we will see once it's built what the real figures are

no chance, 240bhp is about the limit without spending HUGE cash, our 240bhp engine was cira £7K

172 Race Car
Ask Matt at TDF how much the engine cost in the BTC Production Clio he looks after. Thats about 280bhp iirc but you have to sell a kidney

BMW Z4
Tyres and fuel are a suck it and see as we just don't know yet how long the car will run on say 60 litres of fuel or how long Dunlop slicks will last at race pace. At Britcar they have a tyre man so you can buy and fit tyres as you go. I will put an ATL in it and am deciding between an 80 litre or 60 at the moment. We reckon 2 hour stints to be long enough for a driver. We used to do 1.45 in the kart although of course in a kart it is more tiring than a car. Of course over the year we will start to get some data from track days so might change things as we learn.

BMW Z4
Yeh I get you on the power figures. As I said i dont know as ive never built one of these. To be honest I don't mind if its 240, 250 or 280 as long as its reliable. Endurance is about being there at the end and that means lots of things and one the best lessons we learnt from karting for 6 hours is just keep going and keep going, not try to be the quickest just put in consistant quick laps and try try try to keep going. From what I saw this year when I went to watch in our class are the following types of cars

Honda Jazz
Bimmer 1 series
Bimmer 1 series D
MR2
Seat leon
MG ZR190
Bimmer E36
MX5
Morgan

And assorted others.

BMW Z4
Boddies and cams 200-215bhp and will run and run

That's the thing isn't it. Push it to the limit and risk it letting go or settle for a lower figure and have more relaibility. Ah decisions decisions. Love it :) Already excited. Who cares what the final figure is Im having fun already.

Lionel Richie
just seek the right advice first! the amount of money i've seen people waste (and i've done it myself) after taking bad advice is unreal!

BMW Z4
Yeh I know that one Fred. For karting we were told to buy a wright R2, winning everything they said. Oh yeh it did and was quick as all hell BUT it was a sprint chassis and boy did it break over 6 hours, we had wheels fall off chassis snaps the lot.

Turning in when you're flat out and going straight on because your chassis has snapped is disconcerting :dead:

Swift Sport
If Robot Wars comes back can you build me a robot!!! I've raced cars for 15 years and always wanted a crack at it!! :)

For an eqv. expenditure of 7k I would expect 230/240 ish with 180ft/lbs torque; that would include PROPER management and PROPER mapping / dash and race spec loom, ITB kit, internals inc. Forged pistons & rods, rebored, cams, headwork, v.springs or add Solid lifters if you've got a little bit of spare cash lying around :quiet:;) Nevermind clutch/flywheel etc.

Tasty project, doing the same; but on a slightly smaller budget!

Fred, any old stuff on here with your yozza motor?

Last edited:

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
What series are you competing in to gain the six signatures you need to be able to enter the 24? Good luck with the build!