ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

172 Race Car
Spoke to Tony yesterday while he was with you. Said you were having problems with it all. How did you find the car around Silverstone?

BMW Z4
I had a LARGE moment at copse on my new Mintex 1155's. I had done 5 warming up laps on them and came down the straight, pedal went to floor OOerrr, both sides the pads disintegrated. I turned in and went VERY wide. Pics to follow of all the pad material that fell out in the pits, about half the pad both sides!!!!

I washed my pants ;) They changed the pads back to my F4R's and I said right then let's go and have a cup of tea now Tony. He made me go back out which was the right thing to do.

BMW Z4
Spoke to Tony yesterday while he was with you. Said you were having problems with it all. How did you find the car around Silverstone?

I felt very confident in it once we had changed the pads back. Need to bump up the rev limiter as its bouncing just before Copse. Tyres are very good on 205's and car feels very planted. I tied to get it to lift off over steer and it wouldn't, could even brake in corners. Overall very happy with it and have the confidence to push tomorrow in quali again. The sessions were awfull for me though as there were loads of offs and then sitting around on red flags so it was difficult to get a flow going.

mark.

PS
We both got our arches rolled by a nice chap :)

Schma Schme 1.6l
Which calipers do you use? We use the oem calipers with the clio cup pads, sure they were minute 1155's. But I could be wrong ,I was given about 20 sets of them.

Never had an issue with them and on slicks they take serious abuse. Mind, we don't brake for copse in the cup cars, slight lift and then flat.

172 Race Car
I felt very confident in it once we had changed the pads back. Need to bump up the rev limiter as its bouncing just before Copse. Tyres are very good on 205's and car feels very planted. I tied to get it to lift off over steer and it wouldn't, could even brake in corners. Overall very happy with it and have the confidence to push tomorrow in quali again. The sessions were awfull for me though as there were loads of offs and then sitting around on red flags so it was difficult to get a flow going.

mark.

PS
We both got our arches rolled by a nice chap :)
Yea Tony told me all of that. Lol

TrackCar & F30 330d
Glad you had a good test day! Such a shame about the camera system! It's allways the way that when your not using the system you have an epic slid and catch it! Hope you manage to sort of the teathing problems.

The mintex 1155's are a little worrying! Did you find the larger tyres were allowing you to brake a little harder and not lock the wheels up when using the F4R's?

Fingers crossed for quali!

172 cup track car
just read the whole thread and think this car is awesome, very interested in this as im gonna be starting a tame 182 track build myself in the next week or so. the car looks superb from one thing, LOSE THE BONNET!!!!!!!.

hats off to you though, a superb build.............

Lol Jay, I've been doing the same while getting dragged round the shops by the other half! Awesome result mate :) Really pleased for you! Look forward to reading the write up

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

BMW Z4
So the weekend :)

Test day went well on Friday although as you know my 1155's let go and we decided to put back in my old F4R's, trouble with that decision was they were very worn. Quali day I set about trying to get on the front row but kept getting stuck in traffic lap after lap with 34 cars on the track and had to settle for 7th although looking at the final times i was not unhappy with that as we were all pretty close with the exception of the pug :)

Got the car back to the pits and took a look at my pads to realize they would not last the race. Some frantic running around by Tony when he said Fred is on his way down from Birmigham with a set of F4R's of a volvo. Fred turned up and we set about them with an angle grinder to get them to fit :) Bubble and kick were at the same time fitting my brake cooling kit whilst i was doing my usual playing with my video system determined to get to the bottom of the issues!

I think I did. It seems that when I create a full layout file it is too much data for it to handle, I created a file with just cams and that seemed to work fine and I knew I could load the layout on after the video is processed so loaded the just cams layout file and crossed my fingers!

Pads in, video on and off to the grid we go. Man I felt sick and could not stop thinking about my start at brands! I had been practicing in the paddock with my launch button which seemed to help. After my off at Brands I determined that as my pace was good on the first couple of laps I would not tussle and just let people overtake me if they were that close, I am GLAD I did as you will see :)

Lights out and bang I heard something snap but did not know what so carried on. The car however felt awful with big bangs from the back under braking and horrendous vibration. I have since found out I snapped my gearbox engine mount and that sat the gearbox on the sub-frame and the exhaust went up and touched the rear body under braking each time. I radioed in and was told my pace was good and I would be told if the wheel fell of and to keep going so I did LOL

This is the full video and I hope you enjoy as it's really my first race where I get settled down to it. I know the main camera is not perfect and will be sending it back as I think its faulty

I loved it, a LOT.

Jobs to do

Gearbox with gripper and different ratios
New pads (and loads of spares)
Saxo power electric steering system (this is a reversal but I want to feel the difference)
Moving main camera further forwards towards the window
Oil change
Looking into carbon front splitter and rear diffuser (lots of cars had them)

A BIG shout out of thanks to both Tony and Fred. I would not have been able to race if it were not for them both and I thank them very very much.

Video link

http://youtu.be/KYU2vv74t7g

Great write up Mark and massive congratulations for the race result :) What was your reason for going to a softer pad on the brakes in the first place? I was going to do the same because in the damp they are just too snatchy and lock up. What a legend Fred is for coming down and doing that :) Good work Tony for sorting that out!

Sorry i've only had chance to watch the first 10 mins will watch the rest later but I can see why you were glad not to be right at the front as that other clio looks to of done some damage :( I think you will love having PAS on the car, I have driven both and really wasn't a fan without it!

Glad you have finally sorted the data/video out! I look forward to seeing the next updates :)

Nice write up Mark, what the hell went on at turn 2/3? Did well to stay out of that.

What pit/car radio you using? Know someone that wants one and only seen the Peltor one for ~£950

BMW Z4
Hi Ash, Only reason is because I was locking up at Brands approaching Druids, but then as Tony said you do go light there as you crest the hill so perhaps it was the wrong decision as the F4Rs are good and have a good feel. I have ordered loads and also a set of Blues to try out.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Brilliant Mark!!! Well done!! My Internet is so rubbish where I live, I could only watch the video up the the crash. Nice big flat spot on the tyres then did well not to Plowright into the back of the car I front. Looked like a brown pant moment!

Video footage looks much better than the double speed that the last one was.

Can't belive the gearbox mount snapped!!!

Any pictures from the weekend?

Lionel Richie
told you those "uprated" engine mounts are crap, no one listens!

9.30am on a sunday morning might i add, i don't do sundays

Clio
Well done! excelent result for your second race, you should be well chuffed. i was pissing myself at the WOOO! as you went over the finish line haha

Lionel Richie
standard with a powerflex dogbone is all you need, the engine is supposed to move, with those mounts it doesn't - hence broken bits