ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

It's a lot of work to put it back in now Mark from what i've been told, the simplest way is putting a Bosch motorsport system back in as it's virtually standalone but then your talking mega bucks!

If you think you want to get it back in then your more than welcome to have a drive of mine and make sure its what you want before shelling out for putting it back in :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Ok im toying with the idea of refitting the ABS system to see what the difference is in feel. Tony do you use ABS on yours? Does the ABS pump just take a live power feed? I guess it needs nothing from the ECU as it has its own computer in it yes?

Mark
No we don't, and to quite honest you don't want it either.

Plus it's something else to go wrong and dick about with.

I quite like it personally although if I didn't have it then I wouldn't pay to put it back in! As Tony say's its more to go wrong and mine has played up a couple of times! If I were you I wouldn't bother :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Refit the ABS!!

Mark I’m not angry.....just disappointed!!

Be interested how you find the 16” wheels and the larger tires. You going to go for a set of Ultraleggers again? Or something else lightweight?

My friend had those little mirrors on his Honda CRX, looked quite good but did vibrate a little. However your rear view mirror is the same as mine and I find its great for looking out the rear ¼ windows.

Lionel Richie
no no no f**k the ABS, men's men (ie cup spec) are quicker without it, if anything bin the wilwoods and go to stock calipers, 205/50 15's are the best tyres you can run on a clio - fact - cos i said so :rasp:

who fitted you're cams out of interest as i noticed at silverstone the other weekend about 3tons of silicone hanging out the side of the head which raised both my eyebrows to an extent!

BMW Z4
no no no f**k the ABS, men's men (ie cup spec) are quicker without it, if anything bin the wilwoods and go to stock calipers, 205/50 15's are the best tyres you can run on a clio - fact - cos i said so :rasp:

who fitted you're cams out of interest as i noticed at silverstone the other weekend about 3tons of silicone hanging out the side of the head which raised both my eyebrows to an extent!

Ok I am suitably chastised LOL I shall not refit the ABS. MY question has always been this re tyres and wheels. If 15's are best why do the cup cars run these bad boys?

Speedline 8" x 17" one-piece aluminium/magnesium alloy wheels

I shall re do the cam cover this weekend as there is a small leak on the probe thing in the top. When you take that off do the cams come loose or are they secured underneath it? What do you suggest for sealant on the cover Fred?

Mark.

PS
Send me the bill for the pads

BMW Z4
Considering I didn't blow it up or crash it I am rather surprised at my current jobs list!!!!!

Fit new gearbox (with gripper diff and reduced final drive)
Check exhaust height at rear and adjust (sits too close to bumper)
Fit rear carbon trims for exhaust
Load single cam file onto video for focusing
Add extra padding under carbon tray
Add driver mic into main mic feed
Lower drivers floor
Fit brake cooling kit (again)
Fit new dust seals to front calipers both sides
Secure oil cooler to chassis or engine as opposed to sub-frame
Fit new steering rack
Fit new Saxo power steering system pump and get pipes custom made for it
Re=powder coat wishbones
Check timing belt and adjust
Fabricate new bracket for main engine mount timing belt side
Fit heated front screen and wire into switch panel
Focus all cameras
Move front camera forwards
Move rear camera more central
Weigh car
Get power tested (again)
Corner weight car
Find the annoying buzz that is on my video from an internal panel!
Flush engine and new oil filter
New gearbox oil (for the 5th time)
Fit new oil temp sensor on oil cooler
Fit window pop it vents
Fit extra roll cage padding
Fit front window sun strip
Fit heat shield on starter motor and above steering rack
Fit new front pads
Make extra gearbox lower mount point at rear and then fit

Mark

BMW Z4
Any ideas what bearings go in my gearbox? Ktech say they need the chassis number to order them but I bought the box second hand? Ideas?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Any ideas what bearings go in my gearbox? Ktech say they need the chassis number to order them but I bought the box second hand? Ideas?

Just order a JC5 repare kit from renault (bearings and syncs) 200 odd quid. Use and 172/182 reg number.

Glad you have taken the Gripper and FD route you wont be disapointed......

182 trackday racer
Just order a JC5 repare kit from renault (bearings and syncs) 200 odd quid. Use and 172/182 reg number.

Glad you have taken the Gripper and FD route you wont be disapointed......

Are you able to provide a Renault part number for that jc5-130 kit? Renault Sweden managed to get me the jc5-089 kit = fail

Are the big service kit only 200?

BMW Z4
Hi Guys

Just had the top cover off and cams out for inspection.

Cams scored
Head scored where the cams run
Top cover scored where the cams run

is that new head, top cover and cams required?

182 trackday racer
Hi Guys

Just had the top cover off and cams out for inspection.

Cams scored
Head scored where the cams run
Top cover scored where the cams run

is that new head, top cover and cams required?

From what I heard that is a normal Clio sickness and nothing to worry about. My top and cams where just the same. Just smoothed the worst out with 2000 grit paper and put it back together again. If you just post an image of it It will be easier to judge.

EDIT; Is the engine head untouched stock cams etc?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It depends on how bad the scoring is, but in terms of it being a race engine I'd say yes. You can always get the cam cover/head line bored, but that's gonna cost some serious wedge. Plus you've got to find a machine shop that can do it.

Failing that you need to polish the cam journals to remove the roughest parts and refit them, but I wouldn't advise this unless it was a very last resort.

Get some pictures up of it. Can you feel the scores with your finger nail? How deep are they? It really all depends on how bad the scoring is though as Godspeed says.

I remember you saying your oil pressure was low in a previous post. This could have helped to cause this as well.

182 trackday racer
Mine was rather bad I guess, the worst scratches could easily be felt with your fingernail. I polished the worst out smoothening the edges and put it together with new cams. The engine have been going 2½ years and 24000km since then, most of them under racing conditions and it is still going strong.

This is how mine looked.
P1020223.jpgP1020230.jpg

BMW Z4
Yes top end is all standard. Now I have it all off I shall put cams in it with solid verniers. Where can you get a head and top cover from?