ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

172 Ph1
Are you able to provide a Renault part number for that jc5-130 kit? Renault Sweden managed to get me the jc5-089 kit = fail

Are the big service kit only 200?

My Gearbox on my 172 Ph1 is JC5-089
The only part number Renault could come up with was 7701472393
The Kit was all there and correct except for 1st and 2nd synchro's which to me looked like JC5 diesel ones so I couldn't use them.The individual prices on these 2 synchro's were astronomical so I passed on changing them. They looked good and braked the gear ok so I just carried on.

47103082.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes top end is all standard. Now I have it all off I shall put cams in it with solid verniers. Where can you get a head and top cover from?

Try and get yourself a phase 1 head and cover if you can. They've got bigger exhaust ports as standard so should help the engine breath a bit better. Look in the for sale section mate or on ebay. They regularly come up.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Mine was rather bad I guess, the worst scratches could easily be felt with your fingernail. I polished the worst out smoothening the edges and put it together with new cams. The engine have been going 2½ years and 24000km since then, most of them under racing conditions and it is still going strong.

This is how mine looked.
View attachment 79427View attachment 79428

I've seen worse than that tbh. I would've run that again as well!

182 trackday racer
My Gearbox on my 172 Ph1 is JC5-089
The only part number Renault could come up with was 7701472393
The Kit was all there and correct except for 1st and 2nd synchro's which to me looked like JC5 diesel ones so I couldn't use them.The individual prices on these 2 synchro's were astronomical so I passed on changing them. They looked good and braked the gear ok so I just carried on.

Thats the kit i got the first time from Renault. For several reasons that kit is not ok for a JC5-130. The locking pins are to short, the 5th gear nut are not the same and more important the seal for the in-going shaft is not right. JC5-089 have the seal integrated with the guiding for the release bearing while JC5-130 have the seal integrated with the in-going shaft bearing.

Im also after the big kit including bearings and all.

Mine was rather bad I guess, the worst scratches could easily be felt with your fingernail. I polished the worst out smoothening the edges and put it together with new cams. The engine have been going 2½ years and 24000km since then, most of them under racing conditions and it is still going strong.

This is how mine looked.
View attachment 79427View attachment 79428

That looks normal to me. I'd reuse it myself.

172 Ph1
Thats the kit i got the first time from Renault. For several reasons that kit is not ok for a JC5-130. The locking pins are to short, the 5th gear nut are not the same and more important the seal for the in-going shaft is not right. JC5-089 have the seal integrated with the guiding for the release bearing while JC5-130 have the seal integrated with the in-going shaft bearing.

Im also after the big kit including bearings and all.

Give Wests Renault in the Traders Section a look up , He's really good

BMW Z4
Nah It's all off now, Ill use it as an excuse to go ported head cams and verniers. More to follow.

Oh I did some other jobs this weekend. My new black Ultraleggeras arrived and I fitted my new steering rack. Whilst fitting I noticed the locating pin on the other rack was missing, no wonder it was difficult to align with the column. Having a custom bracket made to secure my Saxo pump and then Ill get some custom pipes made for it, also chopping off a lot of the gearbox ally mount. Pics to follow.

Mark.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Is the head dammaged? Looks badly scored in the last picture or is it suppose to be like that?

What size tyres have you got on the Black wheels?

182 trackday racer
Scratching looks very bad on the last pic, may analyse it wrong bit there may be traces of going warm aswell. Worst case scenario this may be evidence of longterm oilstarvation, not good. If you are doing the head I would check the bottom end for damage aswell. Rather sure that head is a gonner :(

Last edited:
In the last picture of the head it looks as if there is a piece of casting broken off? Never had one apart tho so don't know if it's manufactured rough like that?

182 trackday racer
In the last picture of the head it looks as if there is a piece of casting broken off? Never had one apart tho so don't know if it's manufactured rough like that?

Sharp eyes, can not imagine its supposed to be like that. Wonder where the missing piece are.... That may be the cause of oilstarvation aswell. IMO that head is wasted. You also need to find that missing piece it may be stuck anywhere in the engine... I feel bad just thinking about it.. :(

Tried to find a picture to 100% confim but I have no photo of my head without cams in it.

Last edited:
  182 trackday racer
EDIT: From what I see on pictures of my top that piece is not supposed to go all the way up to be flush agains the cam cover, so far so good, but the sharp edge looks wierd so does the heavy scratching.

P1020292.jpg

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
It might just be worth building a new engine as that was your orgnial plan from the start wasnt it Mark! Dan from 519 Automotive built the burpspeed boys engine and that might be the type of spec that would be good for you!

Just instead of drip feeding engine mods just stick with your current engine and then drop a nice bullet proof one in.

182 trackday racer
It might just be worth building a new engine as that was your orgnial plan from the start wasnt it Mark! Dan from 519 Automotive built the burpspeed boys engine and that might be the type of spec that would be good for you!

Just instead of drip feeding engine mods just stick with your current engine and then drop a nice bullet proof one in.

Thats what I would have done. New engine or tare the current one apart for inspection, if ok put a brand new head on it. Either way Id do a full rebuild.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Solid lifters whilst you are at it?

Are the black wheels 17s that you were talking about trying? Will be interesting to see/hear the results if so.

Upon a little bit of Zooming in on the picture I can see they are 205/50/R15's

So just another set of wheels and tyres as a spare i suspect.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Like the look of the black superleggera. Powder coated or painted?

Do you have oz spigot rings for them and if so where did you get them? I need one as it's got lst somewhere.

Cheers

Didnt TDF build the original engine and then 519 fitted cams and removed the airbox?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

that's how they are

the scoring on the journals doesn't look great but it may polish out

182cup & 172 racecar
Didnt TDF build the original engine and then 519 fitted cams and removed the airbox?

No Stu, TDF never built an engine for us,they spent hours mapping the ones we have taken to them though.

Danny completely built our new engine from scratch, then we took it to Matt for mapping.

It's fantastic.:)

BMW Z4
That little lets check my top end whilst I sip this cup of tea moment is costing me 2200 quid on top of the 2k this month for my gearbox, ouch. I better win at Cadwell that's all I can say :)

BMW Z4
Solid lifters whilst you are at it?

Are the black wheels 17s that you were talking about trying? Will be interesting to see/hear the results if so.

Can't buddy not got enough time. If someone sends me one Ill see if Mik can make them, what am I saying of course he can LOL, its not like they are complex in engineering terms. I walked around inside his new CNC machine this weekend LOL.

Wheels will come once ive gotten through these 3 sets of 205s I have. Black Ultra leggs are spares for my super soft Yokos for a cold day then I have Toyo for wets and Direzzas for balls out dry :)

BMW Z4
Likewise :)! I will keep my fingers crossed for you hopefully it will be fine and not cost any more money ;)

The engine has done over 80k so it's not done bad, not like it's blown up on me. I will have to add more ballast when I'm done though as it will increase in power although with verniers Troy will be able to map more for torque than peak power.

I wonder if I can custom make an engine mount so you can see the verniers instead of covering them up, hmm will have to look at that this weekend and get Mik to do me a drawing.

That's true Mark, I did think that yes. We are still to get to that stage of tweaking with the verniers mine is lacking low down at the moment and am unsure how much we can get back by tweaking it.

Haha I thought the same last year when I saw mine they are an awesome looking bit of kit! Can't wait to see this at Cadwell ::)

No Stu, TDF never built an engine for us,they spent hours mapping the ones we have taken to them though.

Danny completely built our new engine from scratch, then we took it to Matt for mapping.

It's fantastic.:)

Ah ok, I thought the original engine was done by TDF.

On topic I'm say here moaning about having a knackered master cylinder, feel for you having that to spend!

BMW Z4
Ah ok, I thought the original engine was done by TDF.

On topic I'm say here moaning about having a knackered master cylinder, feel for you having that to spend!

I guess I don't have to spend it, I could just polish out the scratches and put the engine back together but there's the rub, if you want to win in motorsport then your prep must be immaculate other wise you will have failures on your race weekends.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cadwell is a awesome little circuit for clios.

If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right. That applies to everything as far as I'm concerned, not just Motorsport. There's too many people that cut corners when doing these sorts of things, then cry or whinge when it's gone up s**t creek because they used inferior parts/done a job on the cheap.

Keep up the good work mate is all I can say!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Mark the cup racer's have their engine mounts attach to the subframe which iirc lowers the engine a little too.

I think Nick (your Nick) had that PDF thing of the cup race cars, in that i think it might show the race car engine mounts so you could maybe show Mik those picture and get him to make you some mounts like those! Or have ones with a similar concept!

Make the engine bay look even more sparce!!!! I have seen cup racer cars with carbon firbre cover where the verniers were so if you wanted them to be on show then you could get a thin plastic cover for them. Just protecting them from stones!

Youtube link to the Carbon firbre cover i was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFVjmQGfXCw

P10005081.jpg

BMW Z4
Mark the cup racer's have their engine mounts attach to the subframe which iirc lowers the engine a little too.

I think Nick (your Nick) had that PDF thing of the cup race cars, in that i think it might show the race car engine mounts so you could maybe show Mik those picture and get him to make you some mounts like those! Or have ones with a similar concept!

Make the engine bay look even more sparce!!!! I have seen cup racer cars with carbon firbre cover where the verniers were so if you wanted them to be on show then you could get a thin plastic cover for them. Just protecting them from stones!

Youtube link to the Carbon firbre cover i was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFVjmQGfXCw

P10005081.jpg

That's a good idea Chris I shall investigate this weekend. There is no logical reason you cant support the engine from underneath.

182 trackday racer
I know that PureMotorsports are developing a set of engine mounts for the 172/182 they are in final testing and shall be released soon. May be worth the wait?