ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz.'s 1996 Mazda RX7 FD3S Efini (JDM & Rotary Content)

S3 Sportback, Ninja
FFS, I hope you didnt pay top whack for this. This reminds me of the astra GSI I bought as a none runner, forged replaced everything. Spent more than I care to imagine and it was still a bag of sheit with something constnatly wrong with it. Saying that the noise of these RX7's on decent boost is somthing else.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Im guessing you cant get a refund :(

Im sure you will get there with it, its a pain I know but perservere it will all pay off :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Try the stock ecu, it Might just be a frigged plug... I would check whe they were last replaced it you can? Also Might be blocked fuel filter... Good luck replacing it!!!!

If yo go on to the monitor screen select injector duty, knock, boost and rev then when it's displaying press the right arrow it I I think... Will show a peak figure... So at 6k it will show what inj duty and knock was....

S3 Sportback, Ninja
The more I find the more I think I've been screwed TBH.

Regarding the PFC, I'll just take it to WGT when I get the chance and say sort it. Can't be arsed pissing about myself.

Just out of interest (not to troll) Do you still beleive the low mileage? Because I fcuking don't... Didnt from day 1 if im honest.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Just out of interest (not to troll) Do you still beleive the low mileage? Because I fcuking don't... Didnt from day 1 if im honest.
Why wouldn't you? I know of rx7's in the country older with less miles on it, I know a guy with a 93 with 8k miles on it...

Have you spoken to Jit gaz, I'm sure he will help and didn't know of these issues...

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Because look at the state of it. Hardly looks like someones pride and joy to me. Looks like its been passed from piller to post by people who cant afford to look after it,

The guy you bought it off how long did he have it? With it being registered I expect not long. Also he proberly wouldn't of went into the sort of depth you are to find problems.

I always think it's a gamble buying imports, I hope you get it sorted though Gaz.

Genuine question regarding the mileage with imports wouldn't the people in Japan possibly clock them to gain a higher price tag?

Mechanically, underneath and inside I have no reason to doubt the mileage.

What I do think however is this, based on my Morse like detective skills. The car had a "race crew" sticker on it, you could see the residue when you washed the car. It had the speed limiter cable cut in Japan. The standard ECU has been removed and replaced as a couple of holding down bolts are missing. It's had mods removed before selling, that is obvious (e.g a turbo timer,gauges,an ECU, an exhaust at the very least). The front bumper was sprayed by a piss artist. Basically, I think it's only been used in Japan for racing up and down the Wangan, all the clues point to it. I also think the Japanese owner wasn't as fussed for owning a car in as good a condition as I am, but then neither are most people. I'm very critical because it's my main interest and I take pride in my work.

It was brought into the UK for 6 months where it sat still. You can tell it's been stood, the alloy engine parts have furred up like they do when they've been sat around, the discs were a bit rusty and it just doesn't feel like its been used a lot recently.

Do I think it was worth what I paid almost a month later, no. That's my problem though, nobody can change that so that's that.

Yeah the paint isn't brilliant, but f**k me it's almost 17 years old.

These are the risks you take buying a car from another country. You don't get the import papers, AFAIK they get swallowed up in the registration process.

320d
I'm sure you'll get it all sorted and it will be epic when its finished. Just got to stick with it, most cars are moneypits but its all part of the fun.

Problem is I can't be throwing money at it like I did the Nissan, if I want my own place by the end of the year something has to give!

Yeah I believe so, he's brought a lot of them in. Usually breaks them for spares. Could have saved me a lot of stress on top of the Nissan if he'd broke this one lol.

These past 6 or so months with the Nissan and now this are certainly trying my lack of patience, that's for sure!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Because look at the state of it. Hardly looks like someones pride and joy to me. Looks like its been passed from piller to post by people who cant afford to look after it,

you know about rx7's do you?

The wires are as I said earlier, in Japan they don't go to the effort of properly fitting things! As long as it works it will do! So scotch blocks are used, they are far from good but they are also a higher grade than we get here as they will have 2 contacts per wire rather than just the 1 we have over here...

Someone owned the car and when they sold it, it's not unknown for the people to strip off what they can sell.... Nearly 90% of cars going through auctions will have parts missing its just the way it works out there, unless it's put in a container and sealed then they also get robbed of parts on the boat!

I went with a friend to look at a Ferrari 360 had 10k miles, paint and body was full of dents and scratches, drivers seat was ripped on the leather seam... Grill on a speaker cracked and bent in, wing mirror glass was damaged and the rear view mirror off of screen... Was still for sale for 60K.... Must of been clocked though right?! Joke is every service was done on the date and had replaced nearly every mechanical part when it needed it... But must of been clocked...

Any normal person buying this car wouldn't of taken it apart like gaz did, most people wouldn't be like him... When I got mine I didn't take it apart either, but eventually did... I have replaced pretty much the entire loom which is an engine and complete interior out job to do, nearly every car and engine loom I have seen off of a rx7 has extra bits or parts missing!!! In fact I have never seen a completely untouched loom!!

I also know the guy who imported it, I trust him and know he wouldn't sell a dodgy car!

Good luck doing it on a budget Gaz.

I'm sure you will sort it out I don't think your the type of person to give in and cut your loses so to speak. Although if was me saving for a house...

Wont be long until your in the French "s**tbox" scene for real. :p

S3 Sportback, Ninja
you know about rx7's do you?

The wires are as I said earlier, in Japan they don't go to the effort of properly fitting things! As long as it works it will do! So scotch blocks are used, they are far from good but they are also a higher grade than we get here as they will have 2 contacts per wire rather than just the 1 we have over here...

Someone owned the car and when they sold it, it's not unknown for the people to strip off what they can sell.... Nearly 90% of cars going through auctions will have parts missing its just the way it works out there, unless it's put in a container and sealed then they also get robbed of parts on the boat!

I went with a friend to look at a Ferrari 360 had 10k miles, paint and body was full of dents and scratches, drivers seat was ripped on the leather seam... Grill on a speaker cracked and bent in, wing mirror glass was damaged and the rear view mirror off of screen... Was still for sale for 60K.... Must of been clocked though right?! Joke is every service was done on the date and had replaced nearly every mechanical part when it needed it... But must of been clocked...

Any normal person buying this car wouldn't of taken it apart like gaz did, most people wouldn't be like him... When I got mine I didn't take it apart either, but eventually did... I have replaced pretty much the entire loom which is an engine and complete interior out job to do, nearly every car and engine loom I have seen off of a rx7 has extra bits or parts missing!!! In fact I have never seen a completely untouched loom!!

I also know the guy who imported it, I trust him and know he wouldn't sell a dodgy car!

I know bits and bobs about RX7's but not a great deal. I do however know a bag of s**t when I see one. I ran an RX8 for circa 6 months so know a little about the Rotary. But its not the engine thats in question. I also owned a DC5 (Jap Import) up until very recently and know about what happens when importing in regards to getting stripped and service history (which is usually copied)

I dont know why you are getting so defensive when it isn't your car.

At the end of the day I have only seen pictures but from what I have seen so far it looks to have been neglected massively. I cannot understand that wiring the Jap car tuning scene is probably (along with VW) the most anal of them all and to wire a car up like that to me is ludicrous. As for the Ferrari, I dont really care whether it has been clocked or not although it probably hasn't as it has more than likely been someone's car with more money than sense and thus treated like a shitter.

To me it looks like its either been clocked and mistreated all its life (who the fcuk takes out speakers and doesn't at least replace them with the standards? This isn't a £200 Fiat Punto) either that or as Gaz suggested been ragged for everyone of those miles (if it has that is probably worse)

And in regards to the bloke importing it he probably bought it on good authority from Japan without seeing it and got it and thought s**t... He didn't register it for 6 months... Why if it was bought to sell on? When it comes to money and cars not many people are your friends.

Buying a used car regardless of it being an import or not is a minefield. Unless you're purchasing from a main dealer (even that is not 100 % for certain in the case of some marques/dealerships) then a car can have an unknown past, mileage that's been massaged etc. The only thing you can do is thoroughly inspect any car you're buying from any source before parting with cash. Hell my EK9 we did a compression and leak down test on the guys driveway, I was lucky the previous owner was a proper bloke as I suspect many people would have thought I was mental or just a messer.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
When i bought my old Clio, that had s**t loads of random wires everywhere which I had to sort out.

Hope you get this sorted ok Gaz, it's a lovely/brutal car and it'd be a shame to give up on it.

Last edited:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Hell my EK9 we did a compression and leak down test on the guys driveway, I was lucky the previous owner was a proper bloke as I suspect many people would have thought I was mental or just a messer.

Haha, Jase told me about this. Think he was just glad it was going to someone who'd look after it!

Hard luck with this Gaz, looks a right pain atm but it'll be worth it in the end.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I know I'm going off photo's but those bay shots do not look like a 20k car.

My old MX-5 with 100k on it and had a bay that looked in better nick after living through 20 UK winters.

With all the little bits you are finding something isn't ringing right, especially with all the early banter saying this was bound to be the mintest in the country.

Gaz is fairly handy so I'm sure he'll sort it, I'd rather he had something he can love out of the box after the fiasco with the 200Sx.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I know bits and bobs about RX7's but not a great deal. I do however know a bag of s**t when I see one. I ran an RX8 for circa 6 months so know a little about the Rotary. But its not the engine thats in question. I also owned a DC5 (Jap Import) up until very recently and know about what happens when importing in regards to getting stripped and service history (which is usually copied)
It's far from a bag of s**t you r****d! Gaz has showna hand full of pics from the problems he has had. So how from a bunch of wires can you determine that?

I dont know why you are getting so defensive when it isn't your car.
Because I don't think there is a need for you to talk the way you are dickhead!

At the end of the day I have only seen pictures but from what I have seen so far it looks to have been neglected massively. I cannot understand that wiring the Jap car tuning scene is probably (along with VW) the most anal of them all and to wire a car up like that to me is ludicrous. As for the Ferrari, I dont really care whether it has been clocked or not although it probably hasn't as it has more than likely been someone's car with more money than sense and thus treated like a s**tter.
You have seen pictures of a couple problems.... As for Japan being anal LOL shuttup, u clearly haven't seen many imports! Wiring on jap cars is some of the worst! Especially when people put aftermarket stuff on them!

To me it looks like its either been clocked and mistreated all its life (who the fcuk takes out speakers and doesn't at least replace them with the standards? This isn't a £200 Fiat Punto) either that or as Gaz suggested been ragged for everyone of those miles (if it has that is probably worse)
You can tell a car has been clocked by looking at pics.... f**k me you better go join the police and save the world from clocked cars with your skills. Depends on what the speakers were, if they were the Bose upgrade they are pap and are mounted to plastic door pods and don't come out, the stock speakers are made of actual paper and are a b**ch it get out of the pods.... Much easier to just remove the lot.

And in regards to the bloke importing it he probably bought it on good authority from Japan without seeing it and got it and thought s**t... He didn't register it for 6 months... Why if it was bought to sell on? When it comes to money and cars not many people are your friends.
[/quote]
Guy who imported it brings in around 10-15 rx7's a year normally to strip and break, if he didn't break this one it was because it was too good, he imported a re Amemiya demo car and broke it when it was easily one of the best rx7's in the country... I also know him personally and he wouldn't sell a dodgy rx7 as it would ruin his business....

Lol at the defensiveness! Anything RX related that gets slated and malice comes in and gets all shouty! lol

I love RX7's however, i'd be pretty darn pissed if I had come across these problems after paying that amount of money for a car!

Lets try and calrify something.

Was the car running right on the standard ECU?

If so then the only reason the running issues has come up is beacause of fitting a second hand PFC with the wrong map on it.

Also it was already mentioned that there were parts that had been removed from the car prior to import, so imo it was pretty obvious the wiring was not going to be as it should be.

I know nothing about RX7 or importing, but everyone seems to be making out its a shitter and there's loads wrong?

As far as I can tell from reading the thread, the only issues are a bit of the wiring, and missing speakers.
Oh and the map thing.

Thats hardly awful? They're only small little niggles, which lets be honest niggles come on pretty much every used car you buy.
Unless I'm missing something?

Yes it ran fine on the standard ECU, BUT, I want to know it's running OK on either ECU via proper means with a wideband & knock sensors etc now, as I'd rather not pop the engine. Hence not wanting to use it in anger, it'll only cost me more.

I aimed to buy something I could just get on and enjoy, but nevermind. If it's clocked, they've wiped a good 40/50k off it judging by the compression tests, which isn't easy to hide. The bay is one that's blatantly had parts swapped out and grubby standard parts refitted. Like I said, alloy furrs up when it's been sat still, which it has been all winter.

But f**k it, it's done 80k, been thrashed harder than a Jap bukkake star, and is the biggest nail in the world. Are we happy now? Good. Then let's go back to normality.