ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaz.'s 1996 Mazda RX7 FD3S Efini (JDM & Rotary Content)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The car looks well and is spot on on those wheels,really nice.

Cant help but read your last few posts and I'm reading them disheartened,almost as if thats how you wrote them.

Chin up mate.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
get some 10mm magnecores...

and no need to go from beneath, remove the intake elbow if you have too but it is easy and do able from above stood next to pass wing.

btw i got a 99 spec front now :p

get some 10mm magnecores...

and no need to go from beneath, remove the intake elbow if you have too but it is easy and do able from above stood next to pass wing.

btw i got a 99 spec front now :p

I've got the intake elbow off anyway, UIM is off ATM. Can barely get at Rotor 1's plugs, and been told by a fair few people getting in from under is much easier.

I was going to get Magnecors anyway, always trust them.

P.S. f**k you and your 99 spec front ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Lol f**k laying on the floor to do it lol.... Haven't come across a car I can't do yet from above :p

I run custom magnecores on mine and they work great, a load of people complained about the boots they use but they changed and they work better now...

*rubs 99 spec*

Clio
Carnt believe the hate for this car . A bit of wiring and it's a shed

Its not a bad one all the ones I have worked on .which is a lot! All looked like that

I have worked on ones that stunk of piss and full of used johnnys. Some never had the handbrake put on on bounced round in the container all the way from Japan one wrx only had 9km on the clock and looked like it came out a lake.

Im not interested in anyone commenting on what I've said. All I can say is good luck and the worst car I have ever put central locking on is rx7 took me ages to get fully working every time

What an odd thread... same old sprouting crap but hey ho.

it 'looks' great gaz, granted you need to sort it out inside but its on its way now it actually looks decent.

Are you keeping the wheels silver?

And what are the main things you need to do now to sort it out and get it in a decent state you can live with?

The Regas are staying silver aye, need refurbishing so I'll do them a nicer shade than the dull one they are.

Main things to sort... Misfire, Brakes, Coilovers/Alignment/Replace any shagged balljoints, Tidying up the paint, Horn & Rear Fog. Then I can have some more power.

Now I'm back on nights, I have afternoons to kill. Decided I'd replace the plugs seeing as the new ones were now in my possession.

Whipped the Nology HT leads off, some of them were rusty, and one had a split boot! They won't be helping matters then. Then toyed with which way to get the plugs out, had been told to get underneath but managed it from above, saved the ball ache of getting the jack under the car anyway.

New vs Old, the gaps are the same (I measured this, I didn't just rough it by eye)...

8e778726.jpg

Rotor 1, showing a bit of a brownish tint...
4b9968ce.jpg

Rotor 2, just carbon...
76de518f.jpg

Those haven't been changed for a while. Also discovered my battery has gone well and truly flat as my charger won't even register it's existance. That didn't even manage 2 weeks :rolleyes:. The alarm must be drawing some current.

Oh, I bought some big front brakes too, they'll get fitted when I have accumulated some other pieces such as a Master Cylinder, braided lines, and the gear to remove the ABS...

9c0ec9c4.jpg

f5094513.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Weird flat-headed spark plugs. lol. Just bung some normal ones in. Should be fine. ;)

AP's look awesome. What are they from?

They're the factory recommended plugs mate. The problem is normal plugs can protrude too far into the chamber and the rotor will hit them.

The APs were from a lad on FDUK, who bought them from somebody else in the USA. All I know is they were a setup made by a company called M2 over there. There's a few people on RX7Club using them, which I guess is where they were all sold. I believe they're an AP Racing 5200 caliper, then these blokes made the carriers and the bells/rotors. I'll have to get rotors made up once they die probably, from the threads I've looked at everybody is getting replacement rotors made rather then them being an off the shelf item.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
U can't adjust the gaps on them plugs anyway lol, u gone 9's all round? Plugs look ok to me anyway lol.

Oh and 10's and 11's look like normal plugs...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I would of gone 9's all round mate, would of made more sense and might of been the 7's blowing out up the range that is giving u Ignition issues...

Have u done the direct 12v feed to the coils? And the fuel pump?? Also I wanna see the other rims on it... Not the regas lol

Well I've not read anything to that effect, so I just stuck with what the factory recommends. After all, it should be a stock engine so it shouldn't be blowing the spark out with those. We'll see what happens.

I haven't done any wiring to the coils or fuel pump. First time I've ever heard of it. Meisters aren't going on until I refurb them, and seeing as I'll have to split them, and I can't be arsed, you'll be waiting a long time.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Let me have the Meisters then lol!!!

search on fd uk... Basically you wire a direct 12v feed from the battery to the coils and it makes a big difference! Same with the pump as the stock settup runs the pump between 7v and 11.5v I think it is... A solid 12v stops any issues with it.... Simple relay and some wire :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
They would look sick on my 99spec front ;)

Will try and find out the info I used... I will do u a guide on what u need and how todo it :)

I got caught up in rc drifting when I was in Dubai... Been building my own car and have a 99 spec shell on it's way to paint black lol.... Lights front and back will work too :)

Off to dragon next week to do some work for Ross, hopefully gonna have a play in his 750bhp r35 gtr :)

They would indeed.

Ah cool, so you've done it already to yours? I might get WGT to hardwire the pump as I hate poking about in fuel tanks, put a Bosch 044 in there at the same time.

Yeah I noticed you'd been posting in the RC section on DW when I check for PMs.

What you having done at Dragon?

Mk3 Megane 250
Been waiting on an update, one of the few i follow, the split on the HT lead def wont help, i had a set of Magnecor on my old car and causing no end of miss-fire, then threw the OEM ones back on and boom, problem solved!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
They would indeed.

Ah cool, so you've done it already to yours? I might get WGT to hardwire the pump as I hate poking about in fuel tanks, put a Bosch 044 in there at the same time.

Yeah I noticed you'd been posting in the RC section on DW when I check for PMs.

What you having done at Dragon?

Yeh did it to mine ages ago lol, also running an ignition amp :)
if u just do the wiring... No need to go in the tank...

Not having anything done at dragon, Ross is going to Amsterdam or something for a wheel launch, guy I work with is also a sign writer and we are doing some vinyl on one of his cars... And I get to bug him to give me the keys to the gtr lol.

Been waiting on an update, one of the few i follow, the split on the HT lead def wont help, i had a set of Magnecor on my old car and causing no end of miss-fire, then threw the OEM ones back on and boom, problem solved!

Never had any issues with Magnecors before myself. They're easier to get than OEM ones too I imagine, and I bet they're cheaper.

Yeh did it to mine ages ago lol, also running an ignition amp :)
if u just do the wiring... No need to go in the tank...

I looked at Amps last night, not going there yet, got money to spend elsewhere first.

Also been looking for the wiring info, just blowing my mind looking blankly at wiring diagrams with MS paint scribbles all over them. The only images I found were blurry useless crap too. Info is a f**king nightmare to find for these cars, every forum I search is frankly horrendous.

So my leads turned up today...

66685a28.jpg

But, they're not 10mm R100 leads. They're 8.5mm KV85 leads :rolleyes:

276c9387.jpg

So no progress can be made there. Not very impressed anyway as they were meant to be sent out on Friday, when they were in fact sent out yesterday. Now I have to wait for tomorrow, when the guy who boxed my order is in. Quality.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
You dont seem to be having much luck at the moment

So my leads turned up today...

66685a28.jpg

But, they're not 10mm R100 leads. They're 8.5mm KV85 leads :rolleyes:

276c9387.jpg

So no progress can be made there. Not very impressed anyway as they were meant to be sent out on Friday, when they were in fact sent out yesterday. Now I have to wait for tomorrow, when the guy who boxed my order is in. Quality.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Gaz, get it sorted and I'll get my 200 sorted and we can do a temporary key swap ;) Its a good deal honest

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is it wrong of me to say that I like the very first pic in this thread? ;)

The lines of the RX7 are unrivalled, imo. Very pleasing to look at and certainly something that won't be repeated, unfortunately.

Oh, and keep the spoiler. It needs it.

D.

Well I rebuilt it, took it for some fuel and...

It's worse than it was before. Coughs and splutters on idle once warm now on top of the original misfire. Going to try and get a known working set of used coils and a known working igniter chip, and try that.

Hopefully that will fix it, and whilst I'm waiting for my V5 I can deliberate whether or not to cut my losses and get something else.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
It's finding that line between project and endless money pit. If your not enjoying the overall ownership then I'd personally give up. Depends how dedicated you are.