ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forza Horizon

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'm struggling to give a f**k about this game at the moment, between the demo with questionable physics and the continuing profiteering around DLC for the franchise I think I'll 100% Forza 4 over the coming months and possibly pick up horizon when it's in the bargain bin in about 3 months time.

The longer time goes on, the more I'm feeling like this. I'm going to add a few thoughts.

We were told it was going to be Forza in an Open World.

Number 1, as much as I can kid myself, the cars have too much grip and stop too quickly. I've tried every single way to get the cars to feel better; tricked the system of getting rid of STB, adjusted the steering axis to make them more twitchy - still nowhere near FM4. I believe they have just put in a simplified physics engine, and completely ignored the tyre physics model that have made the last few Forza games feel so connected to the road.

Number 2, it's not an open world game. It's open road. No pushing AK off cliffs :dapprove:

Number 3, the car list. 137 cars on release. A fair few of those being convertable variations of cars that are included. No Renault (DLC). Now, whether or not this (and other cars) will be free DLC on launch due to lack of disk space is unconfirmed but T10 and Free DLC are two things that generally don't go together. Also, LOL at them doing a day 1 DLC pack! What the f**k! You spend £60 on LCE and, unless you've spent £40 on the season pass too, you're expected to spend more on the DAY OF RELEASE to unlock more cars that could've obviously being included at launch. T10/PGG c***s. No Porsche too, which I thought they'd sorted out licencing issues with EA? Oh wait, a DLC pack will come in 6 months time. Excellent.

Number 4, on the subject of DLC, is it only me that's sceptical of this 'rally pack'? Judging by what we've seen so far, I wouldn't be suprised if they just turn the grip slider to 0 and include a few enclosed dirt tracks. Also, announcing DLC content before the release of the game is a piss take.

Number 5, vehicle modification. NO WHITE WHEELS!! What's so f**king hard! They managed to do it on the Transit on FM4 ffs. As far as I can see, modification is one area where the devs have been particularly lazy. In fact, the only thing different to FM4 is the fact you can now do Matte paint. No tuning is w**k too. Yes, I know that 'you don't adjust your suspension settings every time you drive your car', but it's a game. I want to be able to set up my FWD cars to be as twitchy at the rear as possible and have LOOS on demand.

Number 6, crash physics. Yeah, there are none. Ped vehicles have no weight whatsoever, which is poor. I want to feel a consequence for my f**k up, not lose 3 mph.

---

That said, I'm still keeping my LCE pre-order and looking forward to photo mode, as it's a very pretty game, as well as fun. But it's not Forza.

:D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Pretty much my thoughts there mate.

I'm trading in Borderlands 2 and I've already paid a £5 deposit in store, so it'll only cost me £20 ish.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
What people seem to forget is this isn't a continuation of Forza as we know it.

This is a branch off to try something different.

DiRT 1,2,3 got amazingly better than the last but then they branched off and made DiRT Showdown.

Something totally different and still people moaned because it wasn't DiRT.

The problem is that games are so advanced now that the xbox (Don't know about other consoles) can not keep up with how games want to go.
Look at how Fifa hasn't changed loads in controls and game play because they probably maxed out what the xbox can offer.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thing is Sam, it's Forza for them when they want it to be. Not a full car list? Not really Forza, so it's irrelevant. Why no new upgrades system? It's the Forza system that fans are used to.

It was originally sold to fans that, 'you can still have the authentic Forza feeling game that you're used to, in an open world environment'. Both those things, as we've seen, are complete lies.

As per Chris, Forza4KIDZ.

Nuff hate in here.

I agree with Luke's comments though, I'll keep my pre-order, but I hope it's as fun online as I think it will be, otherwise it'll only keep me entertained for a few weeks.

Struggling to see why some of us are having our comprehension questioned. I/We know what it is, voicing legitimate concerns/frustrations/shortcomings is perfectly understandable IMO.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Struggling to see why some of us are having our comprehension questioned. I/We know what it is, voicing legitimate concerns/frustrations/shortcomings is perfectly understandable IMO.

I've been browsing the FM forums lately for news and, f**k me, you want to see the mods on there. Anyone dare question anything to do with the DLC and they're banned. People aren't even trolling, they're just offering a balanced view. I'd be banned within 10 minutes if I signed up.

It's a somewhat Nazi regime over there, although the same is true of GTPlanet, ironically each seem to be highly tolerant of any complaints aimed at the rival title.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol, very true. It's mental; never seen a forum like it.

I have another point to add to my moan list. Online free roam multiplayer. No traffic. Ziltch. Not even the option to include. Piss poor :dapprove:

It's ok GTA5 will be just around the corner, free roam over a huge distance, cars, bikes, pedestrians and highly amusing movie car chase physics.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It's ok GTA5 will be just around the corner, free roam over a huge distance, cars, bikes, pedestrians and highly amusing movie car chase physics.

There's only so many variations of a GTR that you can run an old lady over with, surely?

TBF GTA5 will be the single most comical game of recent times.

Still, no traffic in Horizon?

Quid by quid I'm starting to wonder if I should have pre-ordered it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
FLOL, I read Si's reply as GT5... :eek:

Yep, no traffic in free roam online.

AK

M240i
Still, no traffic in Horizon?

Quid by quid I'm starting to wonder if I should have pre-ordered it.

Same!

I only got it as it'll be good for multiplayer, but if you can't laugh at Turner wiping himself out on an oncoming vehicle then what's the point? Lol.

Also just noticed I've preordered it twice. Brilliant.

I can't think of a single reason why not?

Do they not want this game to be too much fun to start with? That way they can release fun in a number of DLC's?

FLOL, I read Si's reply as GT5... :eek:

Yep, no traffic in free roam online.

I'm actually tempted to fire up GTA IV this week. Great crash physics, lots of traffic, large free roam area with no invisible walls and the added option to bust a window and shoot people's tyres out. No DLC for Nico to have a full compliment of limbs and the ability to use them.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'm actually tempted to fire up GTA IV this week. Great crash physics, lots of traffic, large free roam area with no invisible walls and the added option to bust a window and shoot people's tyres out. No DLC for Nico to have a full compliment of limbs and the ability to use them.

Fancy getting a few of us on there for a crack this week at some point? <3 a good GTA sesh.

Not trying to just defend the game as I do agree with some points BUT...

The longer time goes on, the more I'm feeling like this. I'm going to add a few thoughts.

We were told it was going to be Forza in an Open World.

Number 1, as much as I can kid myself, the cars have too much grip and stop too quickly. I've tried every single way to get the cars to feel better; tricked the system of getting rid of STB, adjusted the steering axis to make them more twitchy - still nowhere near FM4. I believe they have just put in a simplified physics engine, and completely ignored the tyre physics model that have made the last few Forza games feel so connected to the road.

Playing the demo I do agree - BUT it's not Forza 5, it's Forza's take on the need for speed genre - and it's infinitely better than the arcade handling you get on those games. This game has gravel circuits and driving the cars it feels nearly realistic to me - especially compared to the Dirt franchise where you pull the handbrake 8miles before you can even see the corner

Number 2, it's not an open world game. It's open road. No pushing AK off cliffs :dapprove:

Daft argument - GTA is an open world game but you can't walk into a cafe, sit down and order a cup of tea. You're driving a car and you can go everywhere you would in real life. How many people driving along suddenly decide to off-road across a field?

Number 3, the car list. 137 cars on release. A fair few of those being convertable variations of cars that are included. No Renault (DLC). Now, whether or not this (and other cars) will be free DLC on launch due to lack of disk space is unconfirmed but T10 and Free DLC are two things that generally don't go together. Also, LOL at them doing a day 1 DLC pack! What the f**k! You spend £60 on LCE and, unless you've spent £40 on the season pass too, you're expected to spend more on the DAY OF RELEASE to unlock more cars that could've obviously being included at launch. T10/PGG c***s. No Porsche too, which I thought they'd sorted out licencing issues with EA? Oh wait, a DLC pack will come in 6 months time. Excellent.

Agree with this - though there probably will be some downloaded content. Most people have decent broadband and big hard drives these days so makes little sense them making it a 2 disc set like FM4 just to put cars/maps on.

Number 4, on the subject of DLC, is it only me that's sceptical of this 'rally pack'? Judging by what we've seen so far, I wouldn't be suprised if they just turn the grip slider to 0 and include a few enclosed dirt tracks. Also, announcing DLC content before the release of the game is a piss take.

Number 5, vehicle modification. NO WHITE WHEELS!! What's so f**king hard! They managed to do it on the Transit on FM4 ffs. As far as I can see, modification is one area where the devs have been particularly lazy. In fact, the only thing different to FM4 is the fact you can now do Matte paint. No tuning is w**k too. Yes, I know that 'you don't adjust your suspension settings every time you drive your car', but it's a game. I want to be able to set up my FWD cars to be as twitchy at the rear as possible and have LOOS on demand.

Number 6, crash physics. Yeah, there are none. Ped vehicles have no weight whatsoever, which is poor. I want to feel a consequence for my f**k up, not lose 3 mph.

LOL do agree with those last bits - you should be able to tune a car, hitting a vehicle should cause realistic damage.
Problem is this is FM4 people critiquing Horizon - if you think about the masses of Need for Speed people who will buy it, they'll think it's awesome lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Multiquote madness there Phil! I will point out that I did actually, despite my moaning, enjoy the demo for what it is. It's fun. I'm just disappointed at a lot of what it offers/some of the lazy development.

However (ready for some multiquoting?):

...and it's infinitely better than the arcade handling you get on those games.

Yes. 100%

This game has gravel circuits and driving the cars it feels nearly realistic to me

The cars have wayyyyy too much grip on dirt imo. This actually brings me on to another point, the controller vibration in the demo is s**t. I LOVE the fact that in FM4, the vibration genuinely helps the feel of the car. It even helps you find the redline (which, ironically would've been handy as in Horizon, some genius decided to make BOTH the needle and redline area PINK. Fucksake.). They obviously have access to it, so why include such shoddy vibration? I confidently think that having the FM4 model put it would increase the 'feel' of the cars tenfold.

Daft argument - GTA is an open world game but you can't walk into a cafe, sit down and order a cup of tea. You're driving a car and you can go everywhere you would in real life. How many people driving along suddenly decide to off-road across a field?

Not really. The 'open world' that it was sold as should be just that, like the one on TDU. In real life I don't go out for a drive and think, 'I know, lets drive off Beachy Head, just because I can...', but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to in a game. Although, judging but the damage modeling that we've seen, I guess it was better left out, lol!

Problem is this is FM4 people critiquing Horizon - if you think about the masses of Need for Speed people who will buy it, they'll think it's awesome lol[/QUOTE]

I genuinely don't think it's arcade enough for the NFS crowd tbh mate; they'll stick to NFS. I really f**king hope it sells by the masses though, purely to increase the budget for FM5 :D

The cars have wayyyyy too much grip on dirt imo. This actually brings me on to another point, the controller vibration in the demo is s**t. I LOVE the fact that in FM4, the vibration genuinely helps the feel of the car. It even helps you find the redline (which, ironically would've been handy as in Horizon, some genius decided to make BOTH the needle and redline area PINK. Fucksake.). They obviously have access to it, so why include such shoddy vibration? I confidently think that having the FM4 model put it would increase the 'feel' of the cars tenfold.

Totally agree about the feedback but I actually found the grip about right - you can pull some massive drifts on the gravel. I think people expect gravel to be like driving on ice - but in reality if you're in a gravel spec car with the right tyres you'd still have a fair bit of grip

Not really. The 'open world' that it was sold as should be just that, like the one on TDU. In real life I don't go out for a drive and think, 'I know, lets drive off Beachy Head, just because I can...', but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to in a game. Although, judging but the damage modeling that we've seen, I guess it was better left out, lol!

I genuinely don't think it's arcade enough for the NFS crowd tbh mate; they'll stick to NFS. I really f**king hope it sells by the masses though, purely to increase the budget for FM5 :D

LOL Yeah - I just hope FM5 is a big enough jump, some days I drop FM3 in my xbox instead of FM4 by accident and it takes me 20 minutes to realise :(

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
No traffic online. Superb.

If it wasn't for the fact that most people I play FM4 with were getting this, I'd not buy it either.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I think the best way to describe the handling is FM4, with race tyres, f**k all vibration, f**k all tyre noise to help with the limit of grip and no tyre model. I reckon if you played FM4 with no sound or vibration, it wouldn't 'feel' a million miles off. But then again, the handling of Forza has always been about feel, so it's pointless, lol.

We'll make our own fun online Chris. We can push AK off the nearest cliff, or into an oncoming bus. Oh wait...:dapprove:

/actionracinggame.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
This man knows.

I've been playing GTA4 a lot recently online, great with mates.

Used to rip that up! Was the Don at it too, once had a team of Americans all working together to kill me and it just didn't happen!! Was the equivalent of the guys in Cod you see with a 45 - 5 kill death score! Shame nobody uses it anymore, I'm s**t at Cod and stuff in comparison!!

GTA 5 is going to be epic!!!!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe no cliffs to drive off but there's some awesome dirt and rocky road edges that can shoot you pretty damn high.

I'm guessing no one else found the potential on the demo for huge air?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It plays well, it's just nothing like they said it would be.

It's only a demo though, since when have modern demo's been a proper representation of the full game. We've no idea how old that build was tbf. All the reviews that have come out so far have been pretty positive; it was never, ever going to be a sim like FM

I'm looking forward to sliding a 458 through picnic tables.