ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dodgy brakes after fitting new discs and pads

17RS2'd Cup
there is absolutely nothing happening in the first 3/4 of the brake pedal. even the bottom 1/4 is really weak. when i pump the pedal with the engine off it goes stiff(ish) execpt for the first 1/4 of movement.
i did not bleed the brakes afterward, wasnt sure if i had to?
help and solutions appreciated

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Bleed the brakes, this engages the pads against the discs and removes the air bubbles from the fluid to stop the spongey feeling.

I've never bled brakes when changing pads :S. Just pop the reserviour cap off, push pistons back pop new pads in, cap back on then pump the pedal.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Fair enough Adam. Something's clearly gone wrong... levels need checking at least... I wouldn't have expected this with a pad change TBH, unless the pads were so past worn out that pushing the piston back in has emptied the reservoir all over the engine bay due to the difference in pad thickness.

17RS2'd Cup
sorted now. bled them and all is fine. when i put it all back together i had to push the piston back in to fit over the new pads (which were worn right down, i got my mony's worth) so i think i empited it when i did.
lesson learned for next time
thanks for the advice guys can go bed them in now