ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DJRoberts/DannyR Ph1 172 Supercharged Fast Road/Track ****

SQ5
Well I thought it's probably best I started a project thread with a lot of work to now be going into the car. Not that a lot hasn't already!

Bought the car back in March 2008, in a very much standard guise with 40mm lowering spring, K&N induction kit, Magnex catback and strut braces front and rear. 80k on the clock and mint!

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

Within 3 weeks I'd done my first trackday in the Clio. It was awesome and got me properly hooked.I had some spare Williams wheels laying around so got these on the car for the trackday and a little while after until I got mine done black.

DSCN3228.jpg

1721.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

After the trackday, I noticed how light the back end was so got the battery over the rear axle, got me Dad to make a battery box up and bolted it to the floor, nothing pretty but it does the job!

Also got the brakes upgraded to Brembo HC's and Greenstuff's after the trackday ready for my next in october. Before this trackday I had the cambelt done as the car has no history of it being done and also had the matched inlets fitted at Angelworks whilst it was being done.

Also had an exhaust laying around from the 172/Mk1 conversion I was doing so got powerflow to match it up and get rid of the crappy Magnex one.

dslr3.jpg

I then had gearbox failure :( I was kind of expecting it as it is a Renault. After a lot of f**king around with dodgy 2nd hand gearboxes I went for a rebuild and it's still under warranty which is always nice. This cost silly amount of money, but touch wood, it'll be good for a few years!

So December came around and I done another day at Snetterton and new I wanted to do as many as possible next year, and to get the car completely track ready.

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

First up, coilovers! Bought some brand spanking FK Konigsports and got the car sitting that little bit lower and it was a lot stiffer

IMG_1415.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Also the rear brakes were done as they failed the MOT on them so standard rears with Greenstuff pads were on! Front brakes were now starting to show some wear after a few trackdays so some Ferodo DS2500's got put on.

I was still using the car a fair bit so when coming to seats I wanted some that were still reclinable and comfy so I managed to pick these up for a bargain £220 and cost me nothing in postage as Dad was picking a quad up 20 minutes down the road a weekend after. Also decided to strip it properly, not just rear bench out!

08022009038.jpg

08022009036.jpg

08022009035.jpg

Well I now had a car starting to look a bit more track like. So I done and oil and plug change and took it to a Rolling Road to see what power it was putting out. 164bhp & 142 lbs/ft

RollingRoadFeb09.jpg

I didn't think was too bad on a car with an Open air filter, matched inlets and a cat back!

After this I didn't really do too much modifying wise up until August time. I did however do plenty of trackdays. This year so far Jan 09 - September 09 I have done 10 trackdays, albeit all at Snetterton and some only evening sessions but its still over 1200 track miles in a year!

JT6T0389.jpg

Hassling a Porsche :)
3.jpg

I got all my induction set up with an original Ph1 box and ITG filter on a 45 deg bend, OMP tow eye and the 307 splitter, giving it a much more meaner look from the front! The car was also rolling roaded again at 157bhp

12062009140.jpg

In June I organised a big CS trackday and we had 20+ people come out and go on track (Will be organising another next year ;)) I had some R888's on and OMG, they transformed the car. Having been timed I was told I was getting 1.30's which in a 160 odd brake car weighing a ton isn't too shabby!

DPP_0040.jpg

DPP_0015.jpg

DPP_0059.jpg

Last month I got hold of a fixed back bucket seat cheap so got rid of the reclinables to Greeny 172. Mostly over the last few months I've has stupidly niggly problems. So all ball joints and track rod ends were changed, new driveshafts both sides. Had a few electrical faults, which were a PITA!

SO basically at the moment the car stands like this

DPP_0088Medium.jpg

DPP_0151Medium.jpg

DPP_0006-1.jpg

Stripped with a Cobra Imola Bucket seat
Battery in the back
FK Konigsports set half a turn back from firm all around, camber at -1.5
Brembo HC Discs and Ferodo DS2500's
Standard rears with Greenstuff Pads
Strut brace up front
Matched Inlets
Ph1 Airbox with ITG filter straight to Throttle body
Decat and mish mash of exhausts

To Come in the Future

In a couple of weeks it will be going up to Paul at RStuning for the Supercharger conversion. I've never had a car over a year and I've owned this 18 months, and over the last year I've got to the limits of the car. It now just needs that push of power to make it that little bit better. After a lot of thinking and weighing up pros and cons I decided for the rarer option, I only know of 2 others with this conversion. 1 by Paul and 1 by GDI. Hopefully it will be done before the next EA Rolling road day.

I will make sure to keep this thread updated!

Thanks for reading the above essay :D

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Re: DJRoberts Ph1 172 Supercharged Fast Road/Track ****

Excellent read, looks wicked that.

SQ5

Cheers for the comments :)

Also forgot to say its got 25mm spacers on!

TBF I missed out a lot of storied about the car lol, but have most of it covered for now!

Storm Grey 200

Do you have extra camber up front so the spacers go in? Or is it all good without?

Barge

Awesome read dude, car looks cushty! Looking forward to your updates. :approve: All these track slaaaags make me want one! LOL!

Pics are mint.

SQ5

Do you have extra camber up front so the spacers go in? Or is it all good without?

No I have the camber as it just seems to work best without going much further negative. It also doesn't cut into the tyre to much. Oh and it looks good ;) I guess it would be all good without, but I've never tried!

Awesome read dude, car looks cushty! Looking forward to your updates. :approve: All these track slaaaags make me want one! LOL!

Pics are mint.

Thanks you :) I'll bring it up in Decemeber so you can have a proper nose around ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Another thread to make me want to get another Phase 1 and get rid of the 106 GTi

Roll on December :D

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

very nice car, the epic bodyroll is killing my ph1 at the moment, nice to see the fk's doing a good job on the track pics further down

Im going to get a whiteline ARB for mine before i get coilovers as they're meant to be a very worthwhile mod

How do you find the Fk's? Are they adjustable shock as well as height?

Ive been looking into v-maxx, gaz and fk, and i'm really stuck as i wouldnt mind the v-maxx but knw i will have to run custom springs on the rear

SQ5

very nice car, the epic bodyroll is killing my ph1 at the moment, nice to see the fk's doing a good job on the track pics further down

Im going to get a whiteline ARB for mine before i get coilovers as they're meant to be a very worthwhile mod

How do you find the Fk's? Are they adjustable shock as well as height?

Ive been looking into v-maxx, gaz and fk, and i'm really stuck as i wouldnt mind the v-maxx but knw i will have to run custom springs on the rear

You can really see the roll between the two different setups can't you!

If you want to do track days don't buy the vmax or Gaz. IMHO Vmax are tosh, only good for lowering the car. My FK's are the knoigsport's which are the dampening and height adjustable ones. The FK's are definitely the best purchase I've made on the car until I get the SC fitted :D

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

You can really see the roll between the two different setups can't you!

If you want to do track days don't buy the vmax or Gaz. IMHO Vmax are tosh, only good for lowering the car. My FK's are the knoigsport's which are the dampening and height adjustable ones. The FK's are definitely the best purchase I've made on the car until I get the SC fitted :D

I have Ktec coilovers which use the same front struts as vmax and they are soft to say the least! Not ideal for track but I will have to see when the times comes, they where more of a go between for me when my Gaz Golds died, now wishing I kept them and got them reconned :(

I think I may have to save up for some FK's tbh!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Sounds like Fk's will be the happy/medium between ride height and usability

I would go v-maxx but like you say, probably only good for lowering the car but even then they dont go low enough at the rear, and the gaz can be a bit harsh for road use

How many settings are there for the shocks on the konigsports? I wouldnt mind just going for fixed rate dampers on fk's but if you think its worth going Fully adjustable then I will look into it further

SQ5

FK's aren't the most expensive or the cheapest, bang in the middle and they do the right job! What more do you need! Its definitely worth the full adjustable if your doing trackdays as the ride can be harsh on the road, although most the time I just live with it lol!

There isn't any clicks as such on them you just spin the adjuster from firm to soft (about 2 1/2 turns) but within that the hardest to softest setting theres a lot of difference!

I bought them from here at Venom, UK FK Dealers.http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=7347&manufacturer=FK&category=Suspension

I chose from a list though with different bolt spacings so worth giving them a call first!

£616 :)

Coupe/Defender V8

:rasp:I smell a race of the future, bring on the trumpets/rape

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

FK's aren't the most expensive or the cheapest, bang in the middle and they do the right job! What more do you need! Its definitely worth the full adjustable if your doing trackdays as the ride can be harsh on the road, although most the time I just live with it lol!

There isn't any clicks as such on them you just spin the adjuster from firm to soft (about 2 1/2 turns) but within that the hardest to softest setting theres a lot of difference!

I bought them from here at Venom, UK FK Dealers.http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=7347&manufacturer=FK&category=Suspension

I chose from a list though with different bolt spacings so worth giving them a call first!

£616 :)

Cheers mate :)

Tangoed Works

how are you getting on with the FKs, they look an awesome price.

SQ5

how are you getting on with the FKs, they look an awesome price.

I've just been trough above lol! They are awesome and do the job :) you don't need bilsteins or ASTs!

nice motor mate.

Thanks you :)

:rasp:I smell a race of the future, bring on the trumpets/rape

Race for the bonnet ;)

ah thats about 616 quid more than ive got!

Lol, fool!

SQ5

Them seats aren't in anymore, not got photo of the new one at the min so I need to do that, cheers for reminding me chap ;)

Audi s3, Ph1 172

Car looks spot on! can't wait to see it at rr day:D

SQ5

Car looks spot on! can't wait to see it at rr day:D

Hopefully it will be back in time for it! If it is it'll be the day before that I will be picking it up!

This is the journey I'm taking to take it there and bring it back

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...-1.564693&sspn=0.049385,0.153637&ie=UTF8&z=13

Long drive, but so worth it :) A mate has already said he'd come with me and I get tired driving huge distances, and he knows this lol! I wonder what his plan is ;)

Coupe/Defender V8

Hopefully it will be back in time for it! If it is it'll be the day before that I will be picking it up!

This is the journey I'm taking to take it there and bring it back

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...-1.564693&sspn=0.049385,0.153637&ie=UTF8&z=13

Long drive, but so worth it :) A mate has already said he'd come with me and I get tired driving huge distances, and he knows this lol! I wonder what his plan is ;)

ooerr. Mission. My gran lives in attleborough, maybe i'll drop in one day :D

rps13

weapon!

what happened to those corbeau seats dude?

SQ5

ooerr. Mission. My gran lives in attleborough, maybe i'll drop in one day :D

Awesome, got mates in Attleborough and Snetterton is like 5 mins away too! Please tell me you've been to the Stag! Awesome pub!

weapon!

what happened to those corbeau seats dude?

Cheers mate, there still sitting in the garage, the good one is going to be used as the passenger seat. Rolling with a cup one and a Cobra Imola at the minute!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

lol danny, I dont mind driving it back! ;)

Ph1's seems to make a good trackcar, it should go well once the supercharger's fitted.

I fancy another day at Snet (not been since 2007), so i'll watch out next year for the day you organise ;)

Chris

SQ5

I'll start organising it around January time for Aprilish as i will need money up front etc...

Unfortunatly Dan I've got a mate who was already going to take me up lol! He then suggested train!

RB 200 Cup!

ill prob be up for the snett track day next year ;)

Coupe/Defender V8

Awesome, got mates in Attleborough and Snetterton is like 5 mins away too! Please tell me you've been to the Stag! Awesome pub!

Cheers mate, there still sitting in the garage, the good one is going to be used as the passenger seat. Rolling with a cup one and a Cobra Imola at the minute!

Kewl! Sorry mate my gran ain't much of a drinker nower days ;) Will let you know when i'm up next. Not sure when that'll be though. Probably after i've got me' bodies :cool:

When you're all roid'ed up with the charger that would make for an awesome convoy would it not :p

SQ5

Lol it would make an awesome convoy, are convoy's at meets are already lairy enough lol! This'll be immense now! haha! Yea you will have to let us know when your up and we can all arrange something!

SQ5

If I didn't have debts, I would be getting ITB's too!

Anyway just purchased boost, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges, all for £80. Not a bad price I thought! Wanted the oil ones for a while so was good to finally get them with even more of a reason than me just being scared what my oil is doing!

Any inventive ideas of how to mount them? Don't want them on the pillar really!

340i

If I didn't have debts, I would be getting ITB's too!

Anyway just purchased boost, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges, all for £80. Not a bad price I thought! Wanted the oil ones for a while so was good to finally get them with even more of a reason than me just being scared what my oil is doing!

Any inventive ideas of how to mount them? Don't want them on the pillar really!

Go hardcore and put them where the radio/CD player goes ;)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member

Remove Clock and Airvents, Add a CF Sheet with Gauges and Bobs your Uncle :)

He will want to keep his CD Player so he can play his Westlife (Highlight of FCS ;))

Oh and Lol at naming your thread after your username then changing your username!