ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Danny's Stupid Apple Questions Thread.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
TBH I am rarely anywhere that I need a laptop/netbook...so for me the extra ~1kg of the MBP wouldn't be an issue. The screen res is a fair point though, but how much this would factor in on a 11" screen I'm not sure about. I'd still rather have a much larger capacity HDD and much better processor for my money.

Depends what you do with the screen. Up until lion, using Xcode on a 13" MBP was a pain in the ass, to the point of being so frustrating it was unusable.

The full screen mode and the changes in the way spaces work made a massive improvement and turned it the other way and it felt much more usable.

Extra screen res is still a major factor if you work in stuff like Xcode because of all the ancillary windows/toolbars that you need.

When we were buying our MBP last Christmas we were undecided, the extra screen res was a massive plus point for the air, but at that point, they'd removed the backlit keyboard and the processor was not quite as good as I wanted.

Given the same choice now, it'd be the air hands down.

Inferno 182 CUP
Re: 2011 MacBook Air 11"

I had a 13'' MBP. My argument was ALWAYS -

This is a small machine. Its user upgradeable. Was a 2.3 i5 dual core, 8GB RAM, only bottleneck was HD.

But it was heavy. Literally just getting in and out of the chair and balancing it around and moving about with it i was like FFS. Sitting with it in bed watching p0rn. Irritating.

Anyway decided id get an 11'' Air. Kind of nervous really as sold my 13 MBP on ebay sent it to the new owner and left with nothing .. ordered my air on apple store online and was thinking oh crap im gonna hate it.

Arrived and wow. 11" screen feels more than big enough (i was hating it before i used it) now love it.

Its so rapid it literally pisses on the MBP.

And its weight? Jesus christ .. i can hold it like an ipad and surf the web. Its ridiculous how they made this machine .. I mean literally wow.

The airs screen is better and you'd be suprised how much a 13'' MBP weighs. Its alot!

Anybody looknig for a new MB .. buy an 11" air. Use it for a day and i guarentee you wont be dissapointed. If you are you have a 14 day window to return it no questions asked.

dk

911 GTS Cab

2gb ram is fine on them too, never needed more, but i could do with some extra hdd space, 128gb is just not enough

Rav4

13" air would be nicer I think.

My sister just swapped her 11" Air to a 13" Air and prefers it so much more.

I'd like 8gb if I bought one, but not paying those stupid prices.

Inferno 182 CUP

I find 4GB plenty - and i have come from using 16GB then 8GB .. 4GB is more than enough on this .. 8GB would be safe teritory but never had a problem.

The 13'' is nice but it starts to loose its niche .. it goes from being ultra portable to portable and then to the MBP as just a conventional laptop IMO of course.

Inferno 182 CUP

2gb ram is fine on them too, never needed more, but i could do with some extra hdd space, 128gb is just not enough

You can spec 256 ... but i only need 80 at most so 128 is fine for me.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

I had a 13" MBP and honestly couldnt fault it. Upgraded the RAM again and installed Lion. Fantastic machine, fast, portable, stylish.

Anyway, found myself wandering around the house with it - and it was heavy! (not as heavy as some other windows bricks) but heavy.

Today traded it for a 2011 11" Air, 4GB RAM, 128SSD. WOW s**t on a stick!

Epic.

I get completely undressed in my house now. Clothes: Heavy.

Airs are awesome little things though, on a more serious note. You mentalist.

Inferno 182 CUP

Well there not "heavy" but when you have to go and chase the dog, have a crap, knock one out lalalala .. its a beast to carry ... the air is like carrying around an envelope ;) lol

I also get naked in my house btw - clothes are for wierdos =\

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

its rapid because of the ssd lol! put one in a mbp and it will piss and s**t on an air lol...

dk

911 GTS Cab

You can spec 256 ... but i only need 80 at most so 128 is fine for me.

yeah, i couldnt waitand bought it from JL, thought 128gb would be fine at the time as i didn't know how much i was goign to use it, my 17" is just collecting dust now.

Slow red one

What spec and year was your MBP? wondering how much you got for it as I'd quite like to do this since my MBP doesn't get used all that much tbh. Writing this reply on my iPad for example lol. Also I see your in Ipswich so get along to the EA RR day even if it's to just watch.

Inferno 182 CUP

My MBP was 13" 8GB RAM, 320HD, 2.3 i5 and was a 2011 model.

Defo glad i ditched the MBP for the MBA .. i don't need a CD drive which is pretty much all I've lost (& 2'')

Slow red one

Mines a 2010 MBP with 250gb hd and was the basic spec model so doubt I'd get to much, what do you reckon? Like £600? Also has 3 yrs apple care. Cheers

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

I 'lug' a 13inch MBP everywhere I go, everyday, can't really say I've ever thought s**t this is too heavy ;)

Yeah they are weighty for their size, but the immense battery life is the benefit of that :)

I had to think long and hard about whether to get an Air or MBP, and chose the MBP for a few reasons.

First, it cost me £740 with applecare brand new, the 13inch Air with the 256 SSD and 4gig RAM was quite a bit more.

I run a number of VMs so the increased processor grunt and 8gig RAM was very welcome, as was the ethernet port for some work stuff.

I've used the cd drive a few times so it has been useful, but I don't think I'd really miss it if it were gone.

If I was choosing now it'd be an even tougher choice, backlit keyboard and current processors make it more appealing, plus a change in work means I might not be needing to use all the VMs as much.

But as I've got it I'm probably going to stick an SSD in it at some point, Crucial M4 256gig for £280 will do nicely.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Re: Lion 10.7.2

can you not reduce them like every other version?

Thought you had to get rid of all your mac/photo equipment etc? Last time i saw your name was that massive thread on talk photography. sorry, know that was a while ago!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b

did you manage to get through everything ok? was quite serious from what i remember. still have a 7d? i had to go down to a bridge camera :(

Inferno 182 CUP

still muddling through etc - bit of a nightmare with house and legal crap but were on the right road (ish)

Yup was a 7D, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 :( gutted didn't come close lol

Tesla MP3 2021

Mines still downloading, has been for several hours and is barely moving from the 568MB mark, think I might just sack it off and try later/tomorrow.

Tesla MP3 2021

I just restarted mine and it did some sort of update, when I went to check again for updates Lion 10.7.2 was still there but it downloaded in a matter of minutes. All up and running now :)

BMW F31

yeah mine has been too Danny, even rang BT as it looked like my line was being throttled, still not convinced its not tbh.

I did the same Adam, but made no difference :(

vauxhall corsa vxr

done mine now and as said icons are huge, plus when it was trying to sign into iCloud it froze twice

BMW F31

restarted my router, down to 13 mins to d/l a 700mb file on standard adsl 6.5mb/s lol

think it just got choked trying to d/l at 6pm and never recovered

BMW F31

Not the end of the world at all, but It's still useful to confirm it's servers rather than your broadband dicking about. Personally once I'd restarted the download it went much quicker so its not just the server's fault.

Inferno 182 CUP
Exporting Outlook Calender to iCal?

How do i extract my works outlook calender and import it into iCal?

I use my work calender religiously as im in it every 20 minutes at work.

My iCal i never update for that exact reason.

How do i extract my Outlook calender and import it into iCal?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Re: Exporting Outlook Calender to iCal?

In Outlook, in Calendar, select a calendar to make it the active calendar in the view.

• On the File menu, click Save As.
  • Type a name for the iCal file in the File name text box. This name should be easy to recognize and meaningful for you and your recipient
Then open that file in iCal