ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport springs. Genuinely impressed.

SQ5
I've had standard, apex and cooksport and can honestly say that the cooksports are so much closer to standard than anywhere near the severity of the apex!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Going against the grain here.....

I fitted a set of cooksport springs today to my 182 combined with brand new OE shocks, I like the improved looks but the ride has suffered. The ride is so much harsher than standard which is the exact opposite of what the majority of reviews on here state. I am genuinely unimpressed with them, I honest cannot feel much difference between my ride now and my mates 182 on apex springs ! And the apex springs get slated for being harsh.

Too much CS hype!

Ride is of course firmer, if you had the same soft springs as standard but at so much lower you would keep running out of travel, plus it would do nothing to improve roll resistance (ie make it handle better) if they were as soft as standard.

But there is a difference between firm and crashy, and its crashy that people are saying the cooksports arent when used in conjunction with new cup shocks.

If you havent got new cup shocks then IMHO you dont have enough damping for the springs though. Which is a common CS problem, someone says a spring works well in conjunction with a cup shock, and then someone will fit it without the cup shock and say it doesnt, lol. (not saying specifically that is what you have done, but others certainly have done)

The FIRST post of this thread, describes them as a little firmer than eibach springs, which are well known for being a little firmer than standard, so how anyone could read that and assume these would be is soft as standard is a real testament to the fact that even if you think you have given an idiot proof description, someone will always invent a better idiot!

monaco 172
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've read the lot.

I he got a standard 172 ph2 and was planning on getting some cooksports but now I've read they are lower than sportlines but only work well on cup shocks. I'd love cup shocks but I'm upgrading bit by bit and probably can't afford cup shocks for a while.

Are they terrible on standard shocks?

Are they OK for a daily driver? My 182 on sport lines was fine over speedbumps but it was very close sometimes.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I have mine on standard shocks and are fine.
Not a massive difference between the two.
I will be getting cup shocks next time they are changed but yes, they are fine on standard shocks.

monaco 172
I have mine on standard shocks and are fine.
Not a massive difference between the two.
I will be getting cup shocks next time they are changed but yes, they are fine on standard shocks.
Do you have any problems with speedbumps?

How much extra was insurance?

172 Turbo
No problem with speedbumps and Cooksports.

No extra on my policy, but then theres no extra for turbo either so not the best comparison

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ive had both sets x2 on different clios.

1x pair cooksports bought new, 1x cooksports already fitted.

1x sportlines bought new, 1x sportlines already fitted.

As i said earlier in the thread, cooksports are a firmer ride but lower it more, eibachs are a better ride and but are slightly higher in drop. Over the 2 id choose sportlines as i feel they are the better spring for everyday use with a bit of fun. Cooksports are more track focused and don't soak up the bumps as easily.

Cooksports on the meganes are great though and feel a totally different spring compared to the 1*2 version.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I went for Sportlines personally. I've had Eibach before so I knew what I was getting.

I have seen a few different reports of people having Cooksports snap on them.

monaco 172
Thanks guys.

I'm insured with admiral, so will give them a call.

Chances are they will want a further 100 quid which is just ridiculous really.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Anytime i change stuff i just ring them up, really easy.

The pro's although look the same. if the insurance company was to be an ass they could flag it.

monaco 172
I think I'll hold off until neaxt year before I bother doing anything.

When is it classed as a mod? When I bought the car it had a kwick fit special on it which was loud as s**t but I wouldn't have classed it as a mod. Thousands of people must buy exhausts from kwick fit and not tell the insurance. I now have a ktec stainless system which again gives no power increase but this is seen as a mod..

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I think I'll hold off until neaxt year before I bother doing anything.

When is it classed as a mod? When I bought the car it had a kwick fit special on it which was loud as s**t but I wouldn't have classed it as a mod. Thousands of people must buy exhausts from kwick fit and not tell the insurance. I now have a ktec stainless system which again gives no power increase but this is seen as a mod..
Because ktec say you get 60hp gain from there systems quick fit dont make such claims

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Buying an exhaust from kwik fit? Nah lol

None standard stuff like exhausts, brakes wheels etc are classed as mods

monaco 172
Contacted admiral today and requerequested a quote for lowering by less than 50mm and they came back with 26 quid which I didn't think was too bad.

Now the dilemma is what do I tell the wife I want for Xmas?? Cooksports, prolines or an RS tuner?

I will be on standard 172 shocks until they need replacing

SQ5
I'd recommend new shocks whatever they are when putting new springs on as the shocks will probably be old and a little bit tired so the ride will end up feelings worse.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Get the sportline imo. I was unimpressed with the cooksports after a snapped spring with f**k all mileage really and about 2 years.
This is why i didn't get them for my meg. Another lad off the meg FB pages had one snap on him.
H&R been doing suspension for years so got more faith in them.

Last edited:

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeh tbh i would touch a new set of cooksports same as most traders once they get a name something just goes wrong quailty goes down prices stay the same. Try to find a secand hand set you should be ok.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I'd recommend new shocks whatever they are when putting new springs on as the shocks will probably be old and a little bit tired so the ride will end up feelings worse.

This. Don't assume the shocks are good because they ride ok with standard springs.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running Eibach Pros with brand new genuine Cup shocks. They felt a little too soft for my liking when going around Brands Hatch but are great on the road.

Kind of on a budget at the moment so I think Cooksports will be the next thing I get for the car. Had them before and really loved the drop they give.

Clio 172
Sorry to revive this again .

I've just bought a none cup pack 182 and my cooksport springs arrived in the post today to replace the very old set of cheap springs that are currently fitted .

My wonder is im going to replace the shocks at the same time and would i be better to match them with
A. Standard 182 non cup shocks
B. 172 cup shocks
C. Koni yellows

Thanks in advance David

I assume because cup pack 182 fronts will have the wrong bolt spacing and non cup pack 182 dampers arent great.
On the rear, if theyre different, the 182 units are probably stiffer, owing to the higher weight of the exuaust and spare wheel.

I'm guessing however, and on the road, given you're fitting the same springs whether its a 172/cup/182 etc, i doubt youll ever notice the difference.

SQ5
It's what I've got, 172 cup fronts slightly stiffer as are the 182 rears. 172/172Cup rears are the same from memory