ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport springs. Genuinely impressed.

Cup In bits
Ba**ard just bought a set of sportlines, I was tempted by cooksport but chose Eibach due to me getting them cheaper. Sportlines are by no means bad are they?? My new cup will see a track/road mix in combination with a Whitline and new cup shocks.

Im not expecting miracles with this setup but that should cope okay on track and still have good road manners?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ba**ard just bought a set of sportlines, I was tempted by cooksport but chose Eibach due to me getting them cheaper. Sportlines are by no means bad are they?? My new cup will see a track/road mix in combination with a Whitline and new cup shocks.

Im not expecting miracles with this setup but that should cope okay on track and still have good road manners?

eibach springs are very good. The Cooksport are just a little more track focused. We happily banged in endless mid 9 mins laps at the ring on our old eibachs.

Cup In bits
eibach springs are very good. The Cooksport are just a little more track focused. We happily banged in endless mid 9 mins laps at the ring on our old eibachs.

That will do, I'm looking for a sportier ride but also still able to have 4's up with the 16" wheels.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Did Llandow on these springs on Thursday, a track we have done a couple times before in the same car on eibachs.

Noticably better handling. Even more impressed now than I was on the road tbh!

Excellent product which I'm very happy to recommend to others.

clio 182 sport
Just IMO i cant really notice any difference between mine ( with eibach sportlines and standard shocks atm ) and your chip with the cooksports so people that are swapping just for the sake of a 10mm drop are mad. i think mine looks fine and definatley handles well and is comfy too. Not the best pic but i can get a better 1 if anyone needs 1 and also this is on 15's 1.JPG

Mental 172 Cup
Just IMO i cant really notice any difference between mine ( with eibach sportlines and standard shocks atm ) and your chip with the cooksports so people that are swapping just for the sake of a 10mm drop are mad. i think mine looks fine and definatley handles well and is comfy too. Not the best pic but i can get a better 1 if anyone needs 1 and also this is on 15's View attachment 94060

Perfect example of some reading into nothing but looks.. It's not just a case of a 10mm drop, it's the difference in the characteristic change of the car aswell.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If all you care about is looks, buy some of those horrific raceland or ktec nasty coilovers and you can set it wherever you want, just avoid bends if you do, lol

clio 182 sport
Perfect example of some reading into nothing but looks.. It's not just a case of a 10mm drop, it's the difference in the characteristic change of the car aswell.

Did you read what i put?? have you read the thread??
I said the eibach sportlines handle well and ride well too. Chip is saying he thinks that the cooksports handle a little better in his opinion but you would only notice it on track and then i said anyone thats changing just for the 10mm drop would be mad?!

No doubt people will just change there springs now because chip has got them and everyone on here bums chip anyway ( not a dig at chip )

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Did you read what i put?? have you read the thread??
I said the eibach sportlines handle well and ride well too. Chip is saying he thinks that the cooksports handle a little better in his opinion but you would only notice it on track and then i said anyone thats changing just for the 10mm drop would be mad?!

10mm drop is enough to be noticeable though, if you feel that your car sits slightly too high, then a 10mm drop is all you need, obviously if you want it in the weeds thats something different, but it IS enough to see the difference on the same car.

The handling improvement is the best reason to change though, it really is noticeable compared to the eibachs, not that there is anything wrong with the eibachs, we enjoyed them on ours, but these are even better.
I'd recomend cup shocks though, should think on the standard shocks the springs might be a touch too firm, but I havent tried that myself yet to know for certain.

No doubt people will just change there springs now because chip has got them and everyone on here bums chip anyway ( not a dig at chip )

You're only gay if you push back...

clio 182 sport
10mm drop is enough to be noticeable though, if you feel that your car sits slightly too high, then a 10mm drop is all you need, obviously if you want it in the weeds thats something different, but it IS enough to see the difference on the same car.

The handling improvement is the best reason to change though, it really is noticeable compared to the eibachs, not that there is anything wrong with the eibachs, we enjoyed them on ours, but these are even better.
I'd recomend cup shocks though, should think on the standard shocks the springs might be a touch too firm, but I havent tried that myself yet to know for certain.

You're only gay if you push back...

Ha, my car rides great i would go as far as to say almost perfect on sportlines so i wont be changing anytime soon ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ha, my car rides great i would go as far as to say almost perfect on sportlines so i wont be changing anytime soon ;)

Exactly how we felt for a long time TBH, seemed hard to imagine any other spring with just the cup shocks being able to be a better balance of comfort and handling, but im very glad we did eventually change, we did so just hoping for a tiny drop to improve the looks as my mrs always felt it was just a tiny bit too high, and we would have been quite happy if it handled the same, in fact despite Josh's obvious background for making cars handle well TBH I was actually a little nervous they'd not handle as well as the eibach and I'd need to take them back off again, but with what I know now, I would never buy a set of sportlines again TBH.

Chip and Lesley kindly let me drive their car at Llandow that is fitted with the Cooksport springs and I really was very impressed. If I had a Clio for a mix of road driving and trackdays I wouldn't consider anything else. Good work by Cooksport as always!

clio 182
just fitted as set of theses cooksport springs to my 182 and i love the new look a ride!!! here is a before and after pic

before

IMG_0241_zps114298c3.jpg

after

IMG_0254_zpscedf39ff.jpg

Last edited:
  172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
just fitted as set of theses cooksport springs to my 182 and i love the new look a ride!!! here is a before and after pic

before

IMG_0241_zps114298c3.jpg

after

IMG_0254_zpscedf39ff.jpg

Looks really good, cant wait to get mine on next weekend, im on eibach pros atm, they have only done 100 miles lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
So what options are there for non-Cup 172's will they work with standard shocks?

Would Cooksport & Koni dampers be an interesting combo?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've only tried with cup shocks, I would be nervous the front could be slightly crashy on standard shocks if you hit a fair big undulation.
No idea on the koni's

"Navy" N17 TWO
Well I'm on KTR coilovers at the moment and working at changing all the track rods, ends and wishbones & bushes etc first

Clio 182
ok, once they are ever in stock, i shall get cooksport springs, do they need eibach bolts to correct the camber???

Clio 197
Going against the grain here.....

I fitted a set of cooksport springs today to my 182 combined with brand new OE shocks, I like the improved looks but the ride has suffered. The ride is so much harsher than standard which is the exact opposite of what the majority of reviews on here state. I am genuinely unimpressed with them, I honest cannot feel much difference between my ride now and my mates 182 on apex springs ! And the apex springs get slated for being harsh.

Too much CS hype!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Take them off and sell them to the chap above who's waiting for a set. Seems strange as there doesn't seem many if any negative reviews mate.

SQ5
Going against the grain here.....

I fitted a set of cooksport springs today to my 182 combined with brand new OE shocks, I like the improved looks but the ride has suffered. The ride is so much harsher than standard which is the exact opposite of what the majority of reviews on here state. I am genuinely unimpressed with them, I honest cannot feel much difference between my ride now and my mates 182 on apex springs ! And the apex springs get slated for being harsh.

Too much CS hype!

Did you put the bump stops in?