ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

Golf R
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

looks like you hve a very good idea of where you want to take this project, some good progress too so far :D

will a silver bumper reappear on the back of it? (if it hasnt already)

106 GTi

Leave the bumper, I will get you a good price on getting the rest of the car to match it ...

172 Race Car

'ave a word! Im not havin' a pink car!

Was going to go ph2 on the rear end but decided that its gonna be a waste. (already have a bumper so its for sale!) On the look out for a silver bumper or i will have to get the spray cans out to sort the pink one.

172 Race Car

But a pink road car would not!

Remember this will be my ONLY car........

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R

Looking Good, Stripped out car as your only vehicle, Your Brave, would love to take on a Project like this but only as a weekend toy

172 Race Car

I have a van for work so no commuting i will only use this for fun. I also have access to my Girlfriends car (which i paid 3/4 of) so not an issue really.

172 Race Car

Todays goings on......

Loaded all my wheels and tyres into the Gf's car and set off for the town centre to see my mates at the local tyre dealer...

IMAGE_245.jpg

Took all the tyres off the wheels and renewed the valves..

IMAGE_247.jpg

This is what your wheels will look like if you only have three rear brake pads...

IMAGE_243.jpg

IMAGE_244.jpg

As said before im running the stock 172 wheels for road and the lightweight wheels for track. Managed to find a decent set of 5 tyres from the 8 that i had with the car to run on the road wheels.

With that done I decided to make a start on removing the tar s**t stuff......

IMAGE_248.jpg

Actually fairly easy to do,
heat it up till its soft and scrape it away.

IMAGE_251.jpg

IMAGE_250.jpg

Looking good...

IMAGE_249.jpg

IMAGE_259.jpg

IMAGE_252.jpg

Started on the roof panel but thats a nightmare as its such a big area and quite thick. Working upside down isnt easy either. Much more satifiying to do the smaller areas as you can see progress quicker. I did two patches in the n/s foot well before giving the hot air gun a rest.

Then started removing all the unnessisary brackets in the rear of the car......

IMAGE_256.jpg

IMAGE_257.jpg

IMAGE_255.jpg

IMAGE_254.jpg

Not sure what to do with these bits yet, will have to study ben_p's thread. He removed/cut these off iirc.....

IMAGE_258.jpg

Did some more tidying of the wiring loom around the dash, ran a new wire to the n/s electric window and fitted a strategicly placed screw in the heaterbox, to stop the heater controls working on face vents. (pipework removed already)

IMAGE_261.jpg

Not much else done, removed the 'B' pillar seat belt hight adjusters. They are not as light as i thought they'd be.....

IMAGE_262.jpg

So thats it for today, hopefully get the rear brakes renewed tomorrow and get it on its road wheels. Maybe some time for some other small bits but fitting a set of front discs and pads to yet another mates Clio in the morning and West Mids Karting meet late afternoon so wont get much time...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I had no idea you were being so thorough, and also that there was so many useless bits that you can get rid of.

My Cup sits there day in day out, and I haven't started what you're doing yet. I'm now on a mission.

Keep it up :approve:

172 Race Car

Have u managed to get yours weighed properly yet Mark?

The bridge I use for my van is fairly accurate but it goes up at 20kg a time. You just get a nice round figue, 2900kgs for the van! If I took 15kg off it probably wouldn't show up. Not sure if they are all like that or if there are more precise ones out there

106 GTi

Get yourself to Combe on a Raceday and speak to the man with the scales nicely near scrutineering.

172 Race Car

Right a bit more has been done (seems slow but im working a 60 hour week this week)

I eventualy got hold of my new rear discs and have everything i need to renew the rear brakes so took off the old (very rusty) ones.

IMAGE_264.jpg

While i was doing that my apprentice/dogs body for the day modified/cut down the front wheel arch liners to cover the important bits. As they had been rubbing the wheels at some stage and couldn't be put back on normaly. Cable ties ftw

IMAGE_265.jpg

Whilst jacking the car up and swapping wheels around we managed to bend the tailgate against my bay window :rolleyes:

IMAGE_269.jpg

Ooopps!

Didnt quite finish the brakes coz I managed to break one of the bearing deflector washers, Doh! 6 quid and a weeks wait from Reno, should have it by the weekend.

Needed to paint some interior parts, window switch pods etc so rubbed them down........

IMAGE_274.jpg

Made up a little temporary spray booth in the van at lunch and gave them a few coats of plastic primer.....

(Real bad pics)

IMAGE_275.jpg

Paint...........

IMAGE_280.jpg

IMAGE_279.jpg

Didnt come out too well in the cold, went a bit grey in places. so rubbed them down and finished in a mates warm garage next to the heater............

Decided to do the mirror covers as well, as they were quite badly scratched. Didn't have any Titanium paint so did them black too.
Not sure about them yet, they are on the car now (pic soon) but if it looks s**t I'll do them again in silver.

IMAGE_283.jpg

Wheels next.............

IMAGE_281.jpg

IMAGE_282.jpg

IMAGE_285.jpg

Thats two primed and ready, just need to prep the other two................................... easier said then done, the rusty one proved to be hard work....

IMAGE_284.jpg

IMAGE_286.jpg

Not quite finished it yet, got fed up with it......

Hopefully will get a bit more done this weekend....

172 Race Car

Sometimes, Lol. Went karting last sunday with the west mids lot. Got to get it done for the airfield tho so most of my free time is going into it now. Mostly do the odd hour or two when my girlfriend is at work. We both work shifts and often work different days to each other. Plus lunch breaks at work if im close to home.

172 Race Car

Managed a little more this last week.

Got my 'Doris' to help me a bit.
Got her on hot air gun/tar removing duty

IMAGE_292.jpg

IMAGE_297.jpg

She done a bloody good job too!

Used Gun wash to remove the sticky stuff left behind. Roof panel was the hardest to do (dam gravity again)
Im worried now that the roof is going to rattle like fook when on the motorway. Time will tell......
IMAGE_293.jpg

IMAGE_296.jpg

IMAGE_295.jpg

How it looks currently...

IMAGE_298.jpg

How my spare room looks...Good job were not expecting guests.....

IMAGE_305.jpg

Dash top went to the flockers last week :D Should have it back first week in March (The guy is on holiday)

IMAGE_246.jpg

172 Race Car

Came home lunch time today and as the weather has been awsome i thought id take the chance of fitting my new 'tw*t strip'

The instructions said that a temperature of 15deg C was needed. Almost that today, screen was well toasty as it was facing the sun so i got on with it......

IMAGE_306.jpg

Massive improvement over the white imo. Doesn't stand out so much and only cost a few quid...

Sunflower 172 :)

hey looking good mate cant wait to see it when its all finished. Can someone tell my why renault put all that tar crap all over the car?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

your mrs seems handy lol! shes a keeper haha

Tangoed Works

this thread is mint mate, love the progress pics. should be top fun when done.

172 Race Car

Ok so its been about a week since I spent more than the odd moment doing anything on the car. (apart from still scrapping the f**king rust off that wheel :mad:)

Did a bit more to my heater panel during my lunch breaks.

IMAGE_307.jpg

IMAGE_309.jpg

IMAGE_308.jpg

Middle switch for heater rear screen^

Todays progress in a bit, just uploading the pics

172 Race Car

Early this morning my girlfriend helped me to mask up the interior for a spot of painting. It was freezing this morning, bless her she didnt complain and we got it all masked up....

IMAGE_314.jpg

IMAGE_316.jpg
IMAGE_315.jpg

IMAGE_313.jpg

More on the paint in a bit....

Last week I bought a centre console off Winston, then asked him to cut it in half to save on postage! I think he thought I was a bit mad......

IMAGE_310.jpg

FAO Winston, heres why!

IMAGE_311.jpg

Hacked it about one evening this week to get the general idea but my bro came over today to give me a hand so left it to him to tidy up and make some brackets to hold it. Hes much better than me with a dremel.

IMAGE_321.jpg

IMAGE_322.jpg

He also fitted a pda holder (for my pda mobile that i use for tomtom) into one of the redundant centre heater vents........

PhoneHolder.jpg

How it looks all together..

IMAGE_323.jpg

While he was busy with all that me and Dave (Bomergtr) set about getting the painting started....

Dave hard at work!

IMAGE_317.jpg

Primer.....

IMAGE_318.jpg

IMAGE_320.jpg

IMAGE_319.jpg

All gone!

IMAGE_324.jpg

Paint next..........

IMAGE_325.jpg

IMAGE_326.jpg

IMAGE_327.jpg

IMAGE_328.jpg

Really pleased with how its turned out, looks mint! Not finished yet as bad light stopped play.

In between coats we sorted out the battery reclocation gubbins. Using a BMW underbonnet battery post/junction. (another £2 scrap yard purchase)

IMAGE_329.jpg

IMAGE_330.jpg

Just got to connect up the cable that goes to the battery (u can just see it in the first pic^) and relocate the fuel cutoff switch, which i will do later.

We also changed the clutch cable (ABSOLUTE b**ch) the new one (Genuine Reno) Has a very big weight on it!

Modified?
For what reason?

Anyone know?

Evo 6, E92 320d

You going to laquer the interior so it looks all shiny like?

172 Race Car

think it will be quite shiny anyway. will find out in the light tomorro.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Fair play to you Jay, it looks like its coming on lovely!

You better make sure you bring the old girl round when its done, love to see it in the flesh!!

172 Race Car

Wondered how long it would be till u posted in here.

As for bringing it round when done, im not sure it will ever be FINISHED, as there is so much id love to do but it will be done and on the road very soon. Might be in Bristol with it on 1st/2nd of March

nice colour that silver, 647 is it ? ;)

good progress mate

Qashcow

wahey, just had a shower to get all the paint out of my eyes and nose lol. glad i could help today, cant wait to see the dash. hopefully i can find time to help out again :D