ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

80MPG BEEZA
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

you just spray it with rattle cans? still need to paint all of mine out yet!

172 Race Car

you just spray it with rattle cans? still need to paint all of mine out yet!
Used 'Gun wash' to remove all the sticky stuff left over from the tar. Then used red scotch brite pads to key the surfaces. After a good sweep & vacuum out we cleaned the surfaces using 'slow de-greaser'. About four 600ml cans of grey primer, two 600ml cans of satin black for the footwells & five 500ml cans of silver for the rest. Also used a little laquer for the rear strut bar. Left the rest un-laquered. Got a shed load of degreaser & gun wash left. I Bought 5 litre cans!

172 Race Car

Got a fair bit done this morning. Fitted a relay to run push button start :approve: using one of the new heater panel switches for that.

IMAGE_356.jpg

Carried on with the dash/heater panel wiring, took much longer than expected but its turned out well. Everything is working as intended. Also added a power feed for my pda holder.

IMAGE_357.jpg

As the seating position is much lower than the standard seats, the steering wheel, even on its lowest setting, is quite high. I modified the column bracket so I could lower the whole thing down, then fitted some long bolts down through the captive nuts fitted to the bulkhead bracket.

IMAGE_358.jpg

Used some washers & nuts to make sure the studs won't move.

IMAGE_362.jpg

Using more washers, nuts & finally lock nuts, the end result is about a 40mm drop in column height.

IMAGE_364.jpg

If its too low its a simple job to adjust it up, plus the stock height adjustment still works as normal.

Fitted the lower dash back in...

IMAGE_365.jpg

IMAGE_366.jpg

IMAGE_367.jpg

Looks alot better now. Also found a spot for the battery isolation swich....

IMAGE_368.jpg

Finally finished the battey cables off.

IMAGE_373.jpg

Fitted a 182 calbase headunit. Doesn't quite fit in the recess so had to file the sides a tiny bit.

IMAGE_370.jpg

IMAGE_371.jpg

How it looks now....

IMAGE_372.jpg

Last edited:
  172 Cup, RB 182 Cup

looking good mate, like everything your doing to the car !

tbh was a bit weary at first when i saw the sunstrip and stickers :p

coming on well now though, good luck with the rest

Tangoed Works

nice neat s l a g... if there is such a thing. Exactly how I would do it if I did it myself.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

looking good, liking the coloum idea,

will the original cowling (sp) still fit over? and fit in the dash?

i could do with this mod

Nikon D700

That looks fantastic - all the effort going into wiring, and small things like the steering wheel adjustment are ace! good work!

172 Race Car

looking good, liking the coloum idea,

will the original cowling (sp) still fit over? and fit in the dash?

i could do with this mod
hope so, cant trial fit them coz they are at the flockers. obviously there will be a gap at the top. Ive cut away the lower part of the dash (not sure if u can see in the pics) the bit below the steering column. mainly so it was easier to take out and put back in. Not sure if your dash has that bit or not.

It would be an honour if one of my idea's ended up on your car Ben :hail:

172 Race Car

Im off work for a week now so hopefully will get the last of it done. Dam it was cold out there today, wind mainly. Lying on the cold floor doesnt help....

Got the clocks and radio display back in..

IMAGE_374.jpg

Trial fitted my 'Light weight music system' Lol.

IMAGE_376.jpg

Then it was the lying on the floor bit..... Burrrr......

To fit the seats back in....

IMAGE_377.jpg

IMAGE_378.jpg

Fitted the god awfull blue dash top back in, whats left of it. Till the flocked one turns up.......

IMAGE_379.jpg

Time for the crap wheel to go

IMAGE_382.jpg

IMAGE_381.jpg

What does this bit do, let me see............ ooops.....

IMAGE_383.jpg

As the horn is also on the end of the indicator stalk, i ripped out all the airbag clock spring wiring.

Trial fitted the new wheel boss.

IMAGE_385.jpg

realising that the indicator self cancel function is part of the airbag clock spring unit i set about modifying this to fit the new steering boss..

IMAGE_386.jpg

IMAGE_387.jpg

The boss has a hole in the top so the bolt and washers ive added fits this nicely. Making the self cancel function work perfectly....

IMAGE_388.jpg

^ very difficult to photograph it but you get the idea..

Finaly fitted the new wheel.

IMAGE_390.jpg

IMAGE_391.jpg

Now the seats and wheel are in i can see how the lowered steering coloumn feels. Its great, much better position, if anything it could do with being a little lower But its fine.

Off out now to get some other bits and pieces, should do some more tomorrow.

172 Race Car

working fully with the 182 headunit, that was the point in getting rid of the kenwood that was in it when i bought it, and i already had the ipod kit for it.

Renault 5 GT Turbo

Good work fella,

What you doing about the Air Bag light? Will the car pass with Air Bag light on?

Doing very similar with my 172, Love the idea of the other dash and going to a breakers this week to try and get 1.

172 Race Car

Air bag light? what airbag light, sorted that ages ago.

Yes it will pass with the light on, not part of the test

172 Race Car

They are going on the white wheels that were on the car at the start of the thread. Painted satin black

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

dude i think i will be speaking to you quite alot over the next few months when i track prep mine.... looking brilliant though

Hi,

Could you tell me where you got the brakes and a bit more detail on them?
What is the disc size? Do they fit under 15'' rims?

172 Race Car

Hi,

Could you tell me where you got the brakes and a bit more detail on them?
What is the disc size? Do they fit under 15'' rims?

What brakes? im running standard ones. If u mean the pictures near the start of the thread then that is some spam from ben_p! I think there is a group buy going for them. Read the post again and have a search

dude i think i will be speaking to you quite alot over the next few months when i track prep mine.... looking brilliant though

No worries bud, would love to help.

were will you be mounting your harnesses?
On the cage i guess. where they were when i got it

172 Race Car

Right its all coming together now, not much more to do.

As the mot is tomorrow/today/thursday i needed to concertrate on the important (tested) bits first.

Checked all the lights and realised i had a bit of a 70's style disco going on on the near side rear light. Traced the fault to a bad earth in the loom but decided while i was there to swap to ph2 clusters.

IMAGE_396.jpg

Had them for ages along with a ph2 rear bumper, trying to decided to fit them or not. Lights on, bumper sold, decision made!

One of the headlamp bulbs didnt fit into the lamp properly so had a closer look only to find that the mount inside the lamp was broken and the lens was all loose. Absolute mission trying to find a headlamp and with time running out the only option was Renault. But as it turned out they had one on the self (3 in fact) and only took £57 of my hard earned in exchange! Baragin!

This ment that the front bumper had to come off, Again!

IMAGE_404.jpg

New eye fitted

IMAGE_405.jpg

While it was off i notice the front plate.....

IMAGE_401.jpg

The guy must of been pissed when he made it!

I have since refitted my cage after my neighbor made me some bigger spacers for it.

Made the door cards.

IMAGE_397.jpg

IMAGE_398.jpg

IMAGE_399.jpg

Measure twice, cut once! Copyed it to another board to make two.

IMAGE_400.jpg

Covered them with vynal. (bad pic as taken in house)

IMAGE_406.jpg

All compleated now and im please with them. They look good, cost peanuts and weigh very little. Not got time to fit them before the mot tomorrow but it will be ok without. Just had to try and get the door handles to stay in one piece as they are both very badly broken. Pics of them finished soon.

So MOT time, then down to a mates place for an oil change and tracking check. Will be the first, Proper drive.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

where did you get the bord from, i need some for a other project!

are you putting the h&r's on before you get it tracked?

172 Race Car

Door cards look good mate - how you going to attach them to the door?
Screws with back number plate covers

where did you get the bord from, i need some for a other project!

are you putting the h&r's on before you get it tracked?

board was around 1.50 per sheet from B&Q.

H&R's will have to wait, im completely skinted out now and want to get them set up properly (conrner weighted etc). Im probably gonna replace the lower arm bushes and ball joints etc at the same time so its gonna have to wait for a while.

172 Race Car

So i was late for my mot appointment this morning but IT PASSED!

But only after i had removed the sun strip, it was in the wiper swept area and he couldn't pass it like that. He was realy good about it and we even tried fitting some smaller blades to it to see if it would clear the strip but it wasn't any good. Ripped it off. Could put another on now i have the mot ticket but im undecided, might just get some random sun visor from the scrappy.

All taxed now and took it for a spin, the thing is mental! So raw, Love it.....

172 Race Car

They gave me a good discount i think. (im in the trade and a very regular customer latley) retail is 65.50 plus vat (just looked at the bill)

I was quoted 48+vat, non gen, from a panel place!

106 GTi

What they like up there ? Had mine done at the one near Powerstation earlier in the week.