ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S40 T5 sleeper project

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Evening all,

I've recently switched my Clio 197 F1 team to a Volvo S40 T5.

Sounds like an odd choice I know, but when you look at the S40 in a bit more detail it makes sense for me. We are starting a family, so a 5 door saloon makes sense, and it's the 2.5 5 pot turbo lump that ford knocked for the Focus ST, so is pretty nippy out of the box.

It has many toys, heated electric memory seats, full leather, parking sensors, dual xenon headlights, low miles (52k) full main dealer history and it looks very sedate (some would say Grandad....). It's great to drive, very comfortable and isn't to bad on fuel (28mpg ish)

Yes, the colour isn't everyone's cup of tea, neither is the cream leather however for the price (£4k) it was too good to pass on over the colour.

Here it is

3398E35F-2EDA-4402-B774-7BD5C32F810F_zpsxs8gwnfz.jpg

The plan is to tune it to around 300bhp and 350lb-ft, and that is now well under way. I put it on the rollers at dynotech Ripley to get a baseline, it made 217bhp and 242lb-ft which is just above factory figures (pretty pleased with that) It now has a Milltek downpipe, Milltek decat, K&N panel filter and as of this weekend it will have a decent FMIC.

Its also booked in for a remap at Shark Performance in Mansfield on 24th March. The plan is to then put it back on the rollers at Dynotech.

Exhaust parts

B947D47C-9A74-4E47-859E-93CBDB5555CA_zpswxboops8.jpg

FMIC trial fit

8D0A8E99-75E4-4B4F-95E4-F1173B5752D2_zpsdi4qd1fe.jpg

7D394427-0AC2-441D-B771-988819BB1A54_zpsdixmp73w.jpg

Ill keep you posted!

ps any suggestions are welcome, wheels, lowering etc are all in the list.

Last edited:

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Hmm my missus is after a new vehicle but wants something more grown up........ A point in the S40 direction might be better than I though then ;)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
And before anyone asks, yes that is a carpeted garage floor! lol that's just how I roll!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Nice one chris,im glad your doing this.

Great performance per £

It sure is, if it makes 280+ I'll be happy. I'm trying to keep it quiet for the wife (she doesn't know I'm tuning it!) so can't really free up the rest of the exhaust or intake, so they might hold me back a little but I'll have only sunk about £1,100 into it including the mapping so can't complain!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I've changed all the interior bulbs the white LED's ( proper white, not the shitty blue hinted type!), silver indicator bulbs all round, and some led sidelights to match the xenons.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
You've actually done what I've had in my head for a while! I think they're a great looking motor! We have a little one on the way in August and I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the Megane yet or swapping the wife's car.

Megane r26
I worked for speeds volvo for 5 years, did me apprenticeship with volvo so I've worked on a fair few of these. Cracking car share the same chassis as the focus but you no doubt know that.

Be following this one ;)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Starting a family... First stop changing the exhaust! Man logic!

Its only the the downpipe and decat, the rest is standard. It's very slightly more noisy than std, but still barely audible!

I worked for speeds volvo for 5 years, did me apprenticeship with volvo so I've worked on a fair few of these. Cracking car share the same chassis as the focus but you no doubt know that.

Be following this one

Yep, im aware of that, same as the Mazda 3 too, all on the P1 platform. Can swap and change most chassis components, brakes, springs, shocks etc. endless tuning possibilities and it's actually not as heavy as you'd think, only marginally heavier than my R27 was really. With a few poly bushes and decent shocks they apparently handle pretty well (for a barge)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
What's everyone's thoughts on de badging it? It currently has a large VOLVO logo across the boot, S40 on the left and a small T5 on the right. I'm thinking of taking them all off, Shark performance have a badge that I might put on like this

badges.jpg

Megane r26
Yep, im aware of that, same as the Mazda 3 too, all on the P1 platform. Can swap and change most chassis components, brakes, springs, shocks etc. endless tuning possibilities and it's actually not as heavy as you'd think, only marginally heavier than my R27 was really. With a few poly bushes and decent shocks they apparently handle pretty well (for a barge)

Yeah they do handle rather well out the box, surprising how much you can chuck them about (many an interesting road test ;) )

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
£4k? Bargain!

Yup, I can't find anything near that price for that age and mileage anywhere. That was from a trader too (he knew he'd priced it too low as whilst I was there he received multiple calls for it) I got there within a few hours of it being advertised, paid the asking price and drove away (quickly before he changed his mind!)

Leon Cupra 300
I'd be keeping the outside as is, wheels and all.. Get rid of the T5 badge etc.

Then go baiting.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Not sure why, as soon as people start a family, they feel a need for a 5 door. As long as you can fit a pram in the boot, a 3 door is fine.

But props on the swede-wagon. I got smoked off a SAAB the other week, really made me look like a muppet. Love a proper sleeper

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Not sure why, as soon as people start a family, they feel a need for a 5 door. As long as you can fit a pram in the boot, a 3 door is fine.

But props on the swede-wagon. I got smoked off a SAAB the other week, really made me look like a muppet. Love a proper sleeper

The pram in the boot wasn't the issue, the car seat in the back of an R27 is more of a problem. The recaros make it a little difficult from what I've read!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep

+1

Keep it standard on the outside and then its a bit of a sleeper. Putting stupid badges on it etc will make it look s**t

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I want to hear this thing!

To be honest it doens't make much more noise than standard. On cold start it is a little louder than normal, and you can certainly hear the turbo spool up when pushing on. But most of the time it's fairly quiet apart from the odd pop/crack from the exhaust and 5 cylinder burble.

It kinda sounds like a slightly muffled Focus ST (as you would expect, running the same lump!)

To be honest it doens't make much more noise than standard. On cold start it is a little louder than normal, and you can certainly hear the turbo spool up when pushing on. But most of the time it's fairly quiet apart from the odd pop/crack from the exhaust and 5 cylinder burble.

It kinda sounds like a slightly muffled Focus ST (as you would expect, running the same lump!)
That's exactly what I like :D

Nothing beats a 5 pot turbo for noise. Nothing.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Looks good Chris, I'll be doing another RR day at DynoTech soon if you wanted to bring it down then?

Also how much did they charge when you took it previously if you don't mind me asking!

When I called in last Friday they called me £54. They did it there and then though, and i turned up unannounced!. I'll be up for a run when you go back, but I think I'll be back there sometime in April to check my progress.

Love these! Was looking at them before I bought my Clio! Didny realise it was the same lump as the ST! Love the idea of it being a sleeper too!! Keeping an eye on this!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Nice. Looking forward to updates on this. Think the engine is ever so slightly different to that in the ST though, no? I'm sure the engine codes are different.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Nice. Looking forward to updates on this. Think the engine is ever so slightly different to that in the ST though, no? I'm sure the engine codes are different.

It depends what you read and who you trust to be honest. I've read they are identical, i've also read that the block was made very slightly narrower to fit the focus hence some issues with cracked cylinders in the ST's. Either way they are pretty much identical bar the ECU.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
No, just fwd. there was an AWD version, but I don't think we got it in the uk.

managed to get the intercooler on yesterday!

692D115B-087D-413D-9FA4-178EEEAE32E3_zps7wdcleoz.jpg

it fits well, I just need to trim a little bit of bumper to get it perfect.