ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

From Campus too...

Well as my car has radically gone through it's stages, and still isn't even complete yet!
I decided to post up a progress thread as it's gone through it's stages.

I used to drive an 02 plate 1.6 Megane, I loved it even though it was in a granny's colour :rasp: but was written off after some extremely greasy roads going to work one morning. :dapprove:
(No pics of said accident)

So I needed to get a car quickly as I needed one to get to work and back.
After browsing I shortly decided I wanted a new car, and decided to pick what was best for what was in my budget.
Firstly, this is how the car started out when I bought it.

20651336a8090382336l.jpg

20651336a8090382419l.jpg

I've always had a rule with cars (even though I wasn't a car head at this point!) that decent alloys will make the car look a LOT better, compared to some crappy 17" Wolfrace alloys.
So decided to save my pennies and but some decent ones rather than buy cheap ones and regret it later.

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

Now I still wasn't really a car head at this point, but I was going to get my calipers and drums painted black as the heat was making them rust slightly. So I got the garage that got my alloys to do them.
The garage somehow persuaded me that red brakes were the in thing though.
Decided to paint the badges Capsicum Red after seeing a couple of Clios on here with different colours.
I will add that no matter what, the colour looks crap in pictures, was always much better in person IMO of course.

I also saw a 172 spoiler in Pearl Black on the bay for £30, so impulse buy it was.

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Still wasn't really into cars but wanted mine to look a bit different.
So went into Renault and bought myself a Sebring backbox.

Picture004.jpg

I finally got it adjusted as it was hanging too low, but unfortunatley this is the only pic I have at the time.

13447206a8623719375o.jpg

Then decided to have a go at colour coding!
Also bought myself a RS grille, some silvervisions of ebay, and a K&N replacement filter. :)
(This was the turning point that I decided to try doing everything myself first!)

Picture039.jpg

Picture037.jpg

I finally got round to lowering a bit and bought some Sportlines!
What a difference to the handling these things make!

DSCF0058.jpg

Shortly after (IIRC) I slapped some black paint on my drums and went to my first meet in St Andrews.

DSCF0129.jpg

Decided the day after seeing BioHzrd's car that I wanted to re-spray my badges. ;)
Also got a hold of some aluminium interior door handles and sprayed the dash inserts and gear knob insert.

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0072-1.jpg

DSCF0077-1.jpg

Went to a local RR day aswell and put the car on for the hell of it.

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

Then got some 13mm spacers ordered from FK.
They make the stance a lot better IMO.

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0202.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

Then went about getting a rear 172 bumper, and tailgate.
and set about fitting them all.

And done it all myself I may add. ;)
(after this I've pretty much done everything myself)

Had a wee problem with the boot lock working the opposite way from the rest of the car locks but got this sorted by switching a wire. ;)

DSCF0227.jpg

Soon after picked up a sport interior and got it fitted with help from BREMBO, Firas and Biohzrd. ;)

DSCF0225.jpg

DSCF0226.jpg

Got a Pipercross induction kit fitted, but couldn't get the relocation pipe to fit, so sold it on. But I will say it made some grunt!
Also made a home made decat using one from the scrappies.
And finally got myself a Cupra splitter and this is how the car stood for a while.

DSCF0458.jpg

DSCF0457.jpg

I had always thought that the Sebring was off with the 172 bumper, this is actually due to the bottom of the bumper sweeping in towards the car.
Hence making the exhaust look like it stuck out further than it did with the Campus bumper, so after saving for a while, bought a K-tec stealth system. ;)

Had a problem with K-tec telling me that the hangers on the Campus were the same, but as a matter of fact their not.

Exhibit A.
The Campus hanger.

DSCF0491.jpg

Got the right one though and got it fitted!
Also got an enclosed induction kit off Firas on here, and the car sounds great, sporty when booting it, but not too loud, and quiet when driving normally.
And the car as it stand today!

DSCF0526.jpg

Oh added an F1 sticker on the bonnet in preparation. ;)

Picture061.jpg

Picture065.jpg

My original plan was to have this for a couple of years then by a cliosport with some NCB.

But I've decided to keep this till I'm around 25 and use this as a work runner and buy a 2010 Camaro as a main car. Why go a bit faster when you can go a lot faster eh? :rasp:
This change came after test driving a Clio 172 and other similar powered cars (Seat Leon Cupra, etc) and feeling that even though they were a step up.
The step wasn't big enough, and after being taken out in a Skyline, thats the kind of power I knew would make me smile. And in 3-4 years time the Camaro will still be an affordable dream car to me..

So..
I've decided to go down the rep route.
Still waiting on a wing and lower RS grille arriving.
I have some V-maxx and some bigger FK spacers sitting in my room.
And I have a wing, bumper and skirts sitting in the spare room.

I'm still on the lookout for sideskirt clips, fogs and washer blankes/washers for me to finish it off.
(still can't justify the price for xenons though!)

And then that'll be the car done till I'm older. ;)

Will keep the thread updated as I hear about the parts coming!

Thanks for reading!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
reb badges and drums were horrid, coming along nicely now though, maybe go a lil lower.

Black 197
Looks good..

agreed no point stepping up to an RS if your after big power, My best mate has a Skyline R33 and has insured me on it to lower the premium.. I drive it often and it absolutely flies... If it wasnt for the running costs i'd have one now and ditch my 197.. Not so long ago I borrowed the Skyline and went over to a members house (HAS) and took him out in it.. 45 miles to £25 of go go juice FTL ! lol

alien green rs133
nice to see a fello 1.2 8v rep'n it properly :D

good luck.

ohh and if you ever want the front wheels to sit right in the sport arches your gonna need sport front running gear :(

RS Megane DCi 175
Looks good mate! :approve: Who says it's pointless modding (even if it is tasteful) a 1.2 as its still slow - just because it's slow doesn't mean it has to look crap eh?!

Future mods sound good too - you might want to invest in some tyre gel too btw! ;)

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
nice to see a fello 1.2 8v rep'n it properly :D

good luck.

ohh and if you ever want the front wheels to sit right in the sport arches your gonna need sport front running gear :(

sorry to hijack your thread but is this a relatively easy job and what would you need?

Also the cars coming along very nicely bud was a good read, best of luck :)

Thanks for the C+C!

And thanks to McClio for helping fit the wings and bumper. ;)

sorry to hijack your thread but is this a relatively easy job and what would you need?

Also the cars coming along very nicely bud was a good read, best of luck :)

For fitting the bumpers and wings, the only other thing you need apart from the obvious item itself is the arch liners (depending how low you are though!)
And you need sideskirt clips for the sideskirts. Although there more just like a piece of plastic with two holes in them, don't see why they're called clips. lol.

Looks good mate! :approve: Who says it's pointless modding (even if it is tasteful) a 1.2 as its still slow - just because it's slow doesn't mean it has to look crap eh?!

Future mods sound good too - you might want to invest in some tyre gel too btw! ;)

:) ;)

Yeah I always get told about tyre gel! :eek:

pics of the kit on even if its not sprayed or clipped on!

Will try get some Thursday if I can, only day I'm free this week. :rasp:

R27, Deep Black
Nice work on the facelift!
Always liked something about the facelifts but rep to you for trying something new on a newish car!

Well Done!

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
Nice thrad going here, i'll keep an on this, lol

And dude, u live kirkcaldy didn't know that lol, am just down the road in dunfermline lol.

weecraig1508

R27, Deep Black
Just checked out this thread again, and maybe hi jacking a litte here, but weecraig and Plummer for Crail on Sunday?