ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yoko AD08's vs Toyo R1-R's for road/wet track days.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
They wear quickly, especially in heat and only come with 6mm tread IIRC as opposed to 7-8mm with the AD08s.

The AD08s wear incredibly well - just what you need when you want an all round road/track tyre.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
They wear quickly, especially in heat and only come with 6mm tread IIRC as opposed to 7-8mm with the AD08s.

The AD08s wear incredibly well - just what you need when you want an all round road/track tyre.
For many I suppose you're right but doing the mileage I do I'd be prepared to buy new tyres every couple of years. If I went down the AD08s route they'd last 4-5 years, so I'd be happy to sacrifice a little longevity for increased performance, assuming R1-Rs do indeed offer that over AD08s.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
<Thread Bump>

What did the OP buy? I'm looking between Yoko AD08R (the new one) and Toyo R1R specifically for Wet Track. Don't care about dry as I've got other sets and another car.
Also, how does the PS3 compare? They're my road tyres, and I could stick them on for a Wet Track if they're comparable with AD08R and R1R?

Any reason you arent considering RSR?

We've found them so good wet and dry that on most trackdays now we just drive there on them, use them whatever the conditions and then drive home again.

I do still have some pilot sport cups for if im trying a bit harder in the turbo, but the RSR just seem to be such an epic all rounder that on our RS2 car we just use them in all conditions, doesnt have take the hassle out of trackdays not having to keep changing tyres, lol.

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
I'll be ditching my S-Drives soon for AD-08's, I've heard nothing but good things about them and they look pretty damn sexy too!

R1Rs have 7mm and AD08 have 8mm. The tread blocks on the AD08 are angled to reduce the flexing where as on the R1R they're not.

I've used AD08 without any over heating problems. I do have R1Rs for the wet but I've never used them.

I'd certainly consider the RSRs next time I come to buy wet/road tyres.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
For many I suppose you're right but doing the mileage I do I'd be prepared to buy new tyres every couple of years. If I went down the AD08s route they'd last 4-5 years, so I'd be happy to sacrifice a little longevity for increased performance, assuming R1-Rs do indeed offer that over AD08s.

I think you've already made your mind up, but what kind of mileage do you do?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I think you've already made your mind up, but what kind of mileage do you do?

Research continues, no decisions made as yet but at this very second I'm leaning towards AD08s. In 5 seconds that will probably have changed twice though - damn, I hate being indecisive!

I cover about 3,000 miles a year.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I think with trackdays, you have the potential to do a set of R1Rs on the front each year.

With AD08s you could buy a new set each year and chuck your old ones on eBay and recoup half your money back.

Assuming thats mostly consisting of going for a blast, it's heat cycles that are going to offer the bigger detriment to performance rather than physical wear.

Cup In bits
Another shout for RS-R's here, IMO why pay the premuim for a brand name when you get the same tyre and better all round tyre than the Toyo for cheaper.

Another shout for RS-R's here, IMO why pay the premuim for a brand name when you get the same tyre and better all round tyre than the Toyo for cheaper.

I hate the federal rsr so much so I took them off and binned them! They squeal like hell and the car has so much less grip compared to good track tyres. Ill stick to v70's, michelin cups and dz03g only now.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I hate the federal rsr so much so I took them off and binned them! They squeal like hell and the car has so much less grip compared to good track tyres. Ill stick to v70's, michelin cups and dz03g only now.

Weird how opinions can vary so much.

I prefer our rs2 car (cup shocks and cooksport springs) on the rsr to on pilot sport cups having done a lot of trackdays on each. Sure the cups are slightly faster but the car leans too much and doesn't feel as nice.
For a road setup Clio the rsr offers just the right amount of grip I think.

Depends on your suspension really, on the turbo I prefer the cups.

Not found them massively squealing on either car though.

Maybe on the clio it's different. My experience comes from 100's of trackdays in the r26r and 911 which have more weight and much more power than the clio.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Maybe on the clio it's different. My experience comes from 100's of trackdays in the r26r and 911 which have more weight and much more power than the clio.

Ah, yes it makes a massive difference from car to car.

With the clio on road suspension the RSR gives a nice balance, but add some extra weight and a lot more power from the r26r and I can imagine they would really struggle.

Cup In bits

They might not be great for the cars you have driven but comparing them to those tyres is apples to oranges.

RS-R's are a -R tyre and the other's are R compound. RS-R's costs circa £70 for Clio fitment and double that and more for the types you have said.

I personally haven't had mine squeel unless the back is hopping sideways through an apex when you lift the inside wheels.

I can understand they might be poor on bigger cars just the same as 888's are.

All valid points. If the clio can get away with using the cheaper track tyres and still perform and not disappoint on track then that's awesome. Low power and low weight definitely has advantages to lol.

I think ill go with a set of R1R's for my clio in that case.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
All valid points. If the clio can get away with using the cheaper track tyres and still perform and not disappoint on track then that's awesome. Low power and low weight definitely has advantages to lol.

I think ill go with a set of R1R's for my clio in that case.

Depends on your suspension.

If you on something very firm and track orientated like ASTs for example, stick to the "proper" trackday tyres.
If its just a road car though I think RSR is the perfect match for feeling right for the power and the amount of roll etc.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

​You need to change your suspension on your r26r then :rasp:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I just spoke to Camskill and they predicted end of August for the first batch, but they didn't have any pricing information. Meanwhile all stocks of the current AD08 tyre will be ever-decreasing.

Do I wait for the new 'R' only to find out it's £30 dearer a corner, or just get on board with the current compound?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Buy the R1R for under 250 quid already listed in this thread?
While I appreciate the R1-R is a very well-reviewed tyre, I get the impression it's best application is in wet weather, and using it on track in the dry may result in heavy wear or damage.

Wanting a tyre for 90% dry running, from what I've read the AD08(/R) or RS-R are better suited to the task at hand...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah RSR is 90% as good as a proper trackday tyre in the dry, and still very good in the wet.

Ive not used the AD08R so cant comment on them personally.

I want to stop carrying Michelin PS2's and R888's and just find one tyre that does both heavy rain and damp. Been looking at the R1R's but didn't really think about the 595's. I will have a look into the AD08's.

For 90% dry running I would just use 888's Tim they aren't as quick in the dry as Dunlops etc but they are very good in the wet just got to be careful of standing water

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
For 90% dry running I would just use 888's Tim they aren't as quick in the dry as Dunlops etc but they are very good in the wet just got to be careful of standing water

Cheers James but I'm not sure I'm ready to run 888s as a road tyre with the occasional track day thrown in every year ;)

My R1r are used on the road in all weather, wear doesn't seem to be too bad tbh, as for damage if you're really pushing on in the dry you can get the blocks to slightly melt/feather but that's really pushin on a demanding road, I thought they were guff in the dry at first but as soon as I had worn them in and give them a bit of scrubbing they've been faultless, can put it in 2 a corner and stamp on the throttle and it just grips and pulls you round

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My R1r are used on the road in all weather, wear doesn't seem to be too bad tbh, as for damage if you're really pushing on in the dry you can get the blocks to slightly melt/feather but that's really pushin on a demanding road, I thought they were guff in the dry at first but as soon as I had worn them in and give them a bit of scrubbing they've been faultless, can put it in 2 a corner and stamp on the throttle and it just grips and pulls you round

On track you can easily do a lot more damage to tyres in the dry than you ever will on a road.

Ive found rainsports ok on the road, but on track they dont last an hour from new to destroyed with me in the dry.

Rainsport's in the dry on the road are 5HITE, I made a bit of a mess of mine in the dry on a demanding mountain road so I can imagine what they're like on track, iv'e seen what Tony has done to a set of R1R's on the race car in the dry.

Another tyre to add in the mix the new Nankang NS2r, I know lal ben has been rrunning them for a while and rates them, available in 2 tread wear aswel

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I want to stop carrying Michelin PS2's and R888's and just find one tyre that does both heavy rain and damp. Been looking at the R1R's but didn't really think about the 595's. I will have a look into the AD08's.

RSR are great as a damp/wet tyre and have the advantage that if it does dry up they are very good in the dry too.

The only tyres I use these days are:
Pilot Sport cups = for the turbo on a trackday if I know it will deffo be dry
RSR = turbo for anything else, and the RS2 car for everything wet or dry, and both cars on the road

We have stopped running A048/888/Pilot Cups totally on the RS2 car now, it just doesnt need them, the RSR suit the suspension better for a more enjoyable drive on track. (slightly slower apex speed but just feels a better match grip wise for the chassis)

Finished off one of my AD08s today, giving autosolo passenger rides at the GoMotorsport live event at Silverstone today.

They were on their last legs anyway so no surprise after 2 hours of abuse.

20130707_175734_zpsd86739a4.jpg

20130707_175700_zpsa7d5da21.jpg