ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another race car build...

Another update. I managed to get it to an acceptable level to let the scrutineers take a look at the Brands, Tin Tops meeting last Monday.

Wired in the cutoff

20120505_111243_img_2889.jpg

20120506_213352_img_2899.jpg

Put the extinguisher in the boot so I can get to it more easily when I have a second seat in

20120506_213417_img_2901.jpg

Was getting short of time so bodged a bit of plastic onto the dash to take the cutoff and extinguisher switch/pull. Got some aluminium plate to make something a bit nicer up when I have time.

20120506_213331_img_2897.jpg

Catch tank in, although still needs finishing off lol

20120506_213450_img_2902.jpg

Seat back in and ready to head to brands. Still needs the wiring tidying, dash top re-fitting and various other bits and bobs but nothing major.

20120511_182107_img_2907.jpg

Forgot to reconnect the heater controls (stuck on hot) and electric windows so it was a nice hot drive up to Brands. Scrutineering went well, just a few minor things. I think fitting door cards was the most significant thing. So very relieved about that.

Met up with the rest of the clio racers - nice to meet every one. It was a good days racing to watch.

So with the car 95% ready I thought I'd better sort my ARDS test out. I was expecting to get it sorted no problem but it seems now the season has started there are a lot fewer tests. Also my doctors wanted nearly 200 quid for the medical (piss in pot, read letters off eye chart, take blood pressure, listen to heart and lungs). I managed to get it for 62 quid at http://www.driversmedicals.com/ but it's not until 22nd of May so I won't make Silverstone now. So planning Anglesey as my first race on the 30th of June.

So planning Anglesey as my first race on the 30th of June.
Great to meet you the other day Mark :) Good update and hope everything goes well with the ARDS test! The medicals are a joke! Look forward to seeing you at Anglesey and then there will be two blue cups out there! Hope everything else goes well with completing the build and if I can be of any use with questions etc then please feel free to fire away :)

Thanks lol - one guy did fail though. I should have had my concerns about him though. It went something like this:

Instructor: "Congrats you've all passed the theory. You'll never have to watch that cheesy video again"
Instructor: "Now for the practical - I suggest you only drive at about 70% of full racing speed"
Guy who failed: "Can we race if we want to though?"

My initial thought was he must be good! But it turns out he'd never driven on a track before and had no idea what was expected of him.

I was bricking it about the practical as I hadn't driven on track for over a year and never at Brands. All went fine though. It was over so quick I thought I must have failed lol. Was weird in the 6 speed pugeot rcz though. I was only doing 90 odd down the straight and was nearly on the limiter in 4th but was thinking 5th is too much with my clio head on.

I loved Brands as well with the ups and downs. I'll have to go back there for a track day later in the year.

Also passed my medical on Tuesday so need to get everything sent off and enter the race.

Car job list is getting longer rather than shorter. Would probably be fine as is though. Thinking I need a new clutch as my release bearing has sounded like a bag of nails for about the last 40k miles...

172 Race Car
Lol, so what did he do to ultimatley fail? Got to be something daft, even my mum could pass an ARDS test

I don't know. The rest of us were politely pretending we hadn't realised and he left pretty sharpish.

Instructor was saying something about never having driven on a track before... I got the impression he had absolutely no idea what to do.

I did an auto solo at silverstone (carpark lol) last Sunday with the local motor club. Car behaved itself.I did OK 14th out of 60. Good fun hooning around a car park anyway.

20120520_085852_img_2946.jpg

I've now got the dash top back in and oil temp and pressure gauges where the centre blower holes used to be. Watching the oil temp though seems to be just something new to worry about. Amazing how a 1 minute run round some cones in a car park takes the oil temp from 60 to over 100 degrees.

Tony/Jay/Pete/James what do I need to do about getting a transponder?

Sent off for my license and entered the Tin Tops Anglesey race today.

Got the dash looking a bit neater. I still need to chop out the air bag wiring and neaten up the cut off/ext bit in the centre console.

20120525_201456_img_2985.jpg

20120525_200440_img_2983.jpg

172 Race Car
Tony/Jay/Pete/James what do I need to do about getting a transponder?

You need to get one.

Pete hired his from TSL £20 iirc. They are a very expensive bit of kit but dont devalue much, You need a TranX260, have a look on ebay or contact TSL. Again, they aren't cheap

give tsl a ring before you go, to make sure they have some available, then hire one. Cheap enough to start with 30 in vat to hire. Or eBay for wired in AMB transponder...also pistonheads have had quite a few...me, just going to hire for this year.

Last edited:
Quite a bit to update!

I missed my first race at Anglesey after a little mishap with my aux belt.

20120710_213827_img_3151.jpg

I put a new clutch in. Had the engine back in and started it up started fine and I was giving it a once over when I thought something wasn't right with the aux belt. Then I saw it was shredding itself so went for the key, but it was too late. Before I got there it went tap, tap, tap and stopped.

20120620_180038_img_3050-1.jpg

I timed it all back up the next day but it wouldn't start and had 0 compression on all cylinders :(

I priced up new head set, bolts, cam belt kit and seals and it was approaching 300 quid. So I decided I'd just give my spare engine a try as it only needed a cambelt. It was a bit of an unknown quantity though as it had no history and a hole in the sump. Although I had checked the big ends to make sure there was no oil starvation damage before I bought it.

Pulled the old engine apart to have a look at the damage. As good as could be hoped for really looks like just inlet valves although I haven't checked it out properly.

20120624_184518_img_3084.jpg

Interestingly after 138k miles it still had the original honing marks on the bores.

20120624_190109_img_3086.jpg

Swapped the sump and my ARP rod bolts to the new engine. Bearing clearances looked good and no significant scoring on the journals.

20120707_174830_img_3120.jpg

New engine all together and ready to go back in.

20120708_183705_img_3133.jpg

Got it in and started no problem. Have done about 20 road miles and all seems OK with it.

Now I need to put my 428 cams in it, as that is what my ECU is mapped for, and fit a new cambelt kit. There was a suspicion that my 428s where from a "dodgy batch" so I decided I'd take the time to dial them in this time and see if the timing marks are machined incorrectly.

That's were I am up to at the moment. Hopefully get the cams and belts in this week.

Have entered Mallory on the 26th of August, can't do Combe as I have a prior arrangement.

Fitted a my cams and a new cambelt yesterday.

Decided on a red cam cover this time.

20120730_193238_P1000364.jpg

New cambelt and bits to go on.

20120730_193250_P1000365.jpg

All back together.

20120731_001834_P1000369.jpg

Took it out this evening and did about 20 miles in it and it all seems fine. So now I am back were I was 6 weeks ago lol!

Need to give it an oil change, a clean and put some stickers on ready for CSS.

I've entered Mallory on the 26th and hoping to do a test day in a couple of weeks as well.

lol I'm sure I was just following your advice about shortest distance between corners ;)

Funnily enough I have been converting it to its rally car persona tonight ready for the rally day at Castle Combe on Saturday. 2 mud flaps fitted so far...

Mallory Test 15/8/12

Tony told me he an Jay were heading over to Mallory for a test day and I figured it would be a good idea to get some experience on that track before my first race, so I booked the day and hired a trailer.

It was the first time I've towed a car in about 15 years, but it all seemed to come back pretty quickly. Although my GF did find my initial attempts to reverse it onto the drive highly amusing. Got the car loaded up and all ready for the next morning.

Headed off about 5:30 and got to Mallory no probs.

Met up with Tony, Jay, Dave and Pete. We signed on and after that it was on the track. No briefing or anything!

20120815_104718_P1000583.jpg

This was the first time I'd driven the new engine at speed so just did a few minutes out on track initially. It took me 3 laps to get back in though as I couldn't find the pit entrance! It was round at the Esses. Gave the car a quick once over and all seemed fine so headed out for the rest of the session. The car behaved itself and I was starting to learn the basics of the track.

Did the same for the second session. It was really nice to not have track day over taking rules and was good experience for me before my first race.

For the third session I decided to stay out for the full session to give the car a simulated race distance. I also got around to putting my camera on the car. It was a good session. Lots of cars to play with. Some light rain and Toastfrenzy slowed down to pick me up and we had 10 minutes of cat and mouse.

Was a really good day and the car behaved itself.

Video of some of my best laps, they're around 57s I think http://youtu.be/onxkGN4XoEw.

172 Race Car
GF? thought you were married? Or does the wife not know

Nice laps btw, turned in a bit early for esses on first few laps in that vid, last one was better

Cheers, forgot about the rain too, now know what happens to the front on a slippery surface, Good video - I've yet to work out how to transition clips together....also only aced the hair pin 4 times the whole time too - must stop looking backwards.....

Another update - Castle Combe Rally Day 18/8/12

My local car club were planning to attend the Rally Day at Castle Combe so I thought I'd go along.

Loads of interesting cars there. I had 4 track sessions lined up and some goes around the mini rally stage.

So I needed to make my car look like a rally car. So I added some mud flaps :)

20120818_160250_P1000597.jpg

20120818_110808_P1000588.jpg

20120818_160208_P1000595.jpg

Looks the part I think. I am hoping to do a couple of tarmac stage rallys next year. Although I'm not quite sure how I am going to reconcile my circuit suspension setup with potentially bumpy rally stages. But plenty of time to figure that out.

Circuit time was good fun. Was track day rules but since my sessions were all rally cars they seemed a bit more relaxed about over taking... Shame my gopro battery ran out at the start of my final session as there was a scooby with some sort of problem in front of me who did a spectacular spin in front of me.

Also had a go on the mini rally stage - it was a bit short but good fun non the less. I even managed to hit some hay bails when doing a handbrake turn - no damage fortunately.

Car behaved again.

Just need to remove the mud flaps and a few other jobs ready for Mallory on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Was an awesome day can't wait for the next one, which is Oulton for me as I can't make Donny.

I was very happy with 10th and the car behaved itself all day. Does rattle a bit when I start it sometimes... hopefully it will survive one more race.

Big thanks to you all for all the help especially with our pit procedure.