ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

XL tyres or standard

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Need a set of rear tyres for the 182, and think I've narrowed it down to Avon ZV7's as they're easily available locally and seem the best value for money fitted.
Question is, should I get them in XL or not? Wondering if I'll need the stiffer sidewall...

Cheers
Ross

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Need a set of rear tyres for the 182, and think I've narrowed it down to Avon ZV7's as they're easily available locally and seem the best value for money fitted.
Question is, should I get them in XL or not? Wondering if I'll need the stiffer sidewall...

Cheers
Ross

Don't really need a stiffer tyre wall, they didn't from standard.

I've bought PS3s in normal and XL and not really noticed any difference.

Pretty average tyres though, PS3s out of budget?

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Pretty average tyres though, PS3s out of budget?

Could put it like that, they're another £40/corner more than the Avon's.

Fitted:
ZV7's = £64 each
Eagle F1 Assy2 = £79
PS3 = £104

The Eagle F1's I can probably justify, but the PS3's are still an extra £25 more than that.

Was thinking rainsports, but can't seem to find any locally at a good price.

PH2 172
Could put it like that, they're another £40/corner more than the Avon's.

Fitted:
ZV7's = £64 each
Eagle F1 Assy2 = £79
PS3 = £104

The Eagle F1's I can probably justify, but the PS3's are still an extra £25 more than that.

Was thinking rainsports, but can't seem to find any locally at a good price.
Camskill`s,any place that does used tyres will be happy to fit them for you £20.
And go for XL`s if you are going to lean on them.

Clio 182, V8 Landy
PS3's still work out significantly dearer even through Camskill - £33/tyre dearer than Eagle F1's. Are they really /that/ much better than everything else to warrant it? I've driven on them before on Porsche's but struggling to see how they'll be so much better than V12s/Eagle's and the like... Cheers!!

PH2 172
Fronts do need balancing up tbf
This is a constantly changing market.
Zv7 are now cheaper than RS3`s (which seem to increase in price daily).And probably a better tyre.
If you can get Zv7`s @£64 fitted/balanced in 205/45r16 go for it.
Put them on the front, get the existing fronts balanced, and move them to the rear.

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Think of if this way if you buy tyres that aren't as good as you could get you should have bought a reliant robin as basically any extra performance is robbed by rubbish tyres
Poor example I know but still true!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
This is a constantly changing market.
Zv7 are now cheaper than RS3`s (which seem to increase in price daily).And probably a better tyre.
If you can get Zv7`s @£64 fitted/balanced in 205/45r16 go for it.
Put them on the front, get the existing fronts balanced, and move them to the rear.

Best tyres should be on the rear, so depends what the existing ones are & condition.

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Yeah I agree with needing good tyres - hence not going silly cheap. I'll see if I can justify more expensive ones, but I'm in fairly urgent need of a pair of tyres and with it being just after Christmas the current wallet situation isn't fantastic.
Currently upfront is Avon's as put on by the PO (not sure on which exact ones).

PH2 172
Best tyres should be on the rear.
Where they are really going to make a major contribution to braking, cornering and acceleration on a Clio?
10665277_1465381587073789_1782404986_n.jpg