ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox 360 Confused

Clio 16v
So i have just bought a 1080 p HDTV for my 360.

Iv looked at the back of the xbox & it has no HDMI port?!

So after loads of googleing it says you dont need the HDMI you can just use the component lead that comes with the 1st 360. So the question is it still 1080p comeing through the TV via an component lead? :S

Clio 16v
Bought it in 2006 been i repair 5 times :dead:

Its defently not got the HDMI port, 720? i thought it all depend on what TV you have?
Its really quite confusing im tempted to get a PS3 now just for 1080p

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
The older xboxes don't have a HDMI port, mine's coming up 3 years old and doesn't have one.

Dude, take a pic of the back and post it, the premium has a slot at the top of the componants slot in the back of it, my bro has a premium and i have an elite. Failing that get an elite but im pretty sure urs does have it. Also I have both and the early ps3 games are all 720, only the new ones are 1080. Think of it as 720 is (HDready) And 1080 is true HD.

Just buy an elite so you dont have to buy new games, amazon are doing an elite for £185 with forza and another game which u can choose.

Civic Si
pretty sure you can get 1080i using the component cable.

tbh, is there really that much difference between 1080i and 1080p?!?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I wouldn't worry about it tbh, I have an Elite (Jasper with HDMI) and I use it over VGA, VGA gives a much better picture IMO.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
I wouldn't worry about it tbh, I have an Elite (Jasper with HDMI) and I use it over VGA, VGA gives a much better picture IMO.

rubbish.

HDMI will be the clearest picture possible from a 360.

but it all depends on quality of leads and quality of TV.

You can still have HD picture from the XBOX without the need for HDMI cables, my old arcade XBOX never had HDMI, I just used the VGA HD cable microsoft sell for it, there was zero noticeable difference between that and the HDMI my elite uses.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Ok so would this tv play out 1080p on the 360 using a component lead?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00220TIY0/?tag=cliospnet01-21

That the one i have comeing tommorow.

no idea what component puts out on a 360. i'll have a search and see what i can find.

I have one of the newer Arcade models, and it has HDMI output. I presume that TV has speakers built in? otherwise you will have to have a separate amp and buy the microsoft connector to split the sound and video if you use HDMI.

edit - quick google search said that component will support 720, 1080i and 1080p. so you should be able to get proper 1080p on your new TV using component.

Trophy #267
you can get 1080p via component nps, just depends iif the tv supports it. the xbox 100% can do that.

57 Clio Campus Sport
99.9% sure 720p and 1080i with component and upto 1080p with HDMI, I have old and new console and can only run at 1080p on the elite

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
You can still have HD picture from the XBOX without the need for HDMI cables, my old arcade XBOX never had HDMI, I just used the VGA HD cable microsoft sell for it, there was zero noticeable difference between that and the HDMI my elite uses.

yeh, it'll still be HD, but it is usually slightly better quality from HDMI

182FF with cup packs
99.9% sure 720p and 1080i with component and upto 1080p with HDMI, I have old and new console and can only run at 1080p on the elite

100% sure that you can do 1080p via component.

That's how I've got my non-HDMI 360 connected up to my Samsung TV.

Also, from the product description of the component cable:
High-definition gaming output of 720p, 1080i or 1080p
edit: from a little bit of reading, it would appear that it may be a limitation of the TV if you can't do 1080p via component because you can't do HDCP over component, so some manufacturers decide not to implement 1080p over component.

Clio 16v
100% sure that you can do 1080p via component.

That's how I've got my non-HDMI 360 connected up to my Samsung TV.

Also, from the product description of the component cable:
edit: from a little bit of reading, it would appear that it may be a limitation of the TV if you can't do 1080p via component because you can't do HDCP over component, so some manufacturers decide not to implement 1080p over component.

Fook sakes i hope to god that my new tv supports it or will piss&d right off:mad:

If its 1080 or not, you have to have 5 out of the 6 cables plugged into the back instead of 1 (HDMI) this can be an issue if you have like a whole sound system up etc. Personally i dont know if it is true HD else what is the point of the HDMI however im not totally sure. What i do know is that you wont notice too much. One thing i would say is i recently payed 25 quid (reduced from 50) for an HDMI cable which is meant to alter the picture (my ps3 didnt come with one) on the games it didnt make a difference but it did on the blu ray.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
gold plated cables and b****cks like that are a con.

makes very little difference. Copper conducts well enough.

Trophy #267
glad they give their magazines away then.
strange how the gadget show said a 47 quid gold plated hdmi lead is no better than a 3.99 one as its a digital signal and is either there or not, not like analogue ones which degrade over the transmission path

glad they give their magazines away then.
strange how the gadget show said a 47 quid gold plated hdmi lead is no better than a 3.99 one as its a digital signal and is either there or not, not like analogue ones which degrade over the transmission path
Exactly

Mixed things on there net, i dont know enough about it but as said i notice a diff on blurays but not on games

Never looked into this before, my 360 is about 3 years old and has no HDMI on it. I bought a MS VGA cable when i first got it as i was using a pc monitor to play it. Since then i've bought a decent Samsung HD TV and started using the original HD AV cable which came with it originally. Really i'd be better off using the old VGA cable again then ?

Trophy #267
hdmi > vga > component > composite

save the composite yellow connector for your 14" portable
vga is good on monitors but at the time of its release (end 2005), virtually all tvs had issues displaying the correct resolution via vga.
component is capable of displaying a 1080p picture, but is the digital output converted to analogue which the tv then converts back - still pretty good
hdmi is a digital signal transmitted digitally with no conversion whatsoever which in theory is the best possible.
depending on that the console is actually outputting (natively it may be 720 or 480 output and just upscaled to fit onto a 1080 display) there may be little to no difference between the same picture via vga / component / hdmi.
on a very good hd source, the difference should be much more noticable via hdmi Vs the rest

This applies to and video output oo, not just 360
xbox1 supplies 1080i without issue too :)

Just got home and checked my settings. These are the options i have using the original cable that came with my Premium.

360HD.jpg

Shame mine hasn't got HDMI, i'd like to see if there's any difference

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
No. Like probably said, that it will only come through at 720, and pre 2003 xbox''s will not have the HDMI slot.

Thanks, Sam!

Trophy #267
lol it 'comes through' at whatever the max setting allows it to and happily works @ 1080p, not that the 360 was released in sept 2005 either so not sure what a pre 2003 one looks like

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Mixed things on there net, i dont know enough about it but as said i notice a diff on blurays but not on games

no you never noticed a difference because there wasnt one :) as said digital hdmi cables are exactly that... digital so a s**t cable is as good as an expensive one.

Its largly irrelevant tbh as most games are 720P or actually sub HD 640P (Halo ODST for example)

The current crop of 'HD' consoles can barely manage sub HD resoloutions, very few 'proper' games are in 1080P I can only think of one and thats Wipeout Fury on the PS3.

The xbox simply 'upscales' the game to '1080p' but then so does your telly!