ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wouldnt crank??

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Go to start my clio this afternoon after leaving it from about 9 last night....

nothing,

unlocked fine, radio came on, feul pump primed,
turned to start the engine, and just a little click came from the starter motor!

its never done this all winter, its always started first time, every time.
the battery is around 3 years old so i wouldnt have thought it would need replacing just yet.

bumped it pretty easily and went for a half hour drive or so, and it was back to normal.
starting first time again.

i would have thought it was the battery, but it literally made no attempt to crank, just gave a little click.

could it be possible for the start motor to seize up if it gets too cold??
or is it 100% the battery?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I think starter motor. I had the same problem some time ago. started from cold, then drove a little, stopped for a few mins and wouldn't start again! towed the car home and the next day it started as normal.. never had this problem since. (about a year ago)
I also had battery problems. When the battery went out it sounded like a cricket when attempting a start and no crank at all, just an odd like cricket noise.

PH-QUICK
If its any consolation mines doing exactly the same thing. Its done it twice now in the snow.

No idea what's causing it.