ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would you pay £1k excess

none :(
Did a quote for a 182, come back as £1800, input my excess to £1k and it dropped to £1300 for 10 months.

The reason its so high is because ive lost all my ncb as ive only been a named driver on my girlfriends policy therefore not earning any ncb myself, seen a car i like but im just a bit nerouvs of the £1k excess.

can anybody else recommend any decent insurers, greenlight wont touch me, im 27, clean license, no accidents in last 5 years.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, whack the excess up as high as it'll go, imo.

If you smash it and it's going to cost more than £1k to break, cut your loses and break the car.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
no. It basically means £1k the insurance will never have to pay out in a claim. From experience it can leave you short. My only benefit is I got more from insurance than I could have got for scrapping a dead car as it was crashing into just as the engine blew up.

i know, but due to the fact ive lost my ncb i cant help it, i did a quote with 4 years ncb and it came back around 500quid so im a bit miffed to say the least lol

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Get back on your girlfriends by the looks of that! £1800 for 10months on a 182 at 27yr old is insane! As for putting a 1k excess, thats a ridiculous idea! If you crash you have paid 2300 for 10months insurance with it set to go up again due to claim!

Buy a 1.2 and get yourself some ncb, or back to girlfriends.

Suzuki Jimny
Mine is £1050 in total. I'm not planning to crash it, and if I do then i'll pay the excess. Simples.

koi

Audi S1
Insurance is a joke. I had to up my excess just to get the same price I paid last year even though I have an extra year ncb

that quote is quite frankly s**t!! i know people will say mines mad but iv got a 172cup at will be 22 with 1yr ncb and 1 crash and with my breakdown cover added im paying just under 1600 with admiral

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Depends on the value of the car. A young person insuring a car worth less than £3k is probably going to end up paying more in premium hikes and loss of NCD by claiming fully comp than they would to simply repair/replace the car themselves.

My 182 is insured with a £1000 excess for this very reason, I'd have insured it TPFT if it wasn't for the fact that it's cheaper FC with a high excess (£670 with sensible excess, £550 with £1k excess and £600 TPFT). The sensible Focus is worth a fair bit more, and I have a £250 excess on that.

It's worth mentioning though, that if you're choosing an excess there is probably a mandatory excess on top of that. For example, if you choose £1k excess with Admiral then your total excess is £1250-1350 depending on whether you are over 21 or not.

LOL no. Stick anybody who's had a licence for 10+ years on it and will come down a lot!

As above as well there may be a mandatory excess like admiral, however as your 27 I believe you are outside of the category's.

LOL no. Stick anybody who's had a licence for 10+ years on it and will come down a lot!

As above as well there may be a mandatory excess like admiral, however as your 27 I believe you are outside of the category's.

it wont always come down trust me i asked about having my mums bf on with 25+ years of holding licence and they wanted an extra 110ish

it wont always come down trust me i asked about having my mums bf on with 25+ years of holding licence and they wanted an extra 110ish

Yeah, a few companies see it as more people on the policy = more chance of a crash. Where are people like admiral/bell/elephant/aviva/tesco see it as less chance.

Insurance is always worth shopping about. I halved my renewal quote by shopping around.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
You're adding the wrong people then. My other half who is 3 years younger than me, and who has 3 years less driving experience brings my premiums down by around £100.

Fiesta ST-3
Adding my mother and father to the policy as named drivers also drives mine down by more than £100.

I cant believe how high your insurance is. Im 21 and will be paying quite a bit less than £1k to insure my 200 (renewal is next month).

Statistically people that buy new cars are less likely to be involved in an accident.

Also the 200 hasn't been on the market that long so the statistics for accident rates is a lot lower compared to a 1*2.

A 172 for me is £2800 a year and for a 200 it is £1725

tried admiral they wanted £1182, just rang sky insurance who quoted me £842 with only £350 excess,

Glad I asked on here now

Clio S & VW T5
well my insurance (having put my 17 year old son on the policy as a learner) went from £200 odd up to £1200, and my excess went from £100, up to £400 (with me driving) or £400 plus an additional £400 excess with him driving in the event of a claim.
renewal's just come through, and guess what? Premium has now gone up to £2020.
That's just sick

A 1k excess is bad but it depends how you look at it.

If you have a bump = get the bits and fix it yourself. A bumper/bonnet/paint is going to be cheaper than your excess.

To the insurance company your car is probably only worth £4k. If you have a major bang, so bonnet/bumper/rad/fan/paint/labour etc, then it's going to be written off. So you'd just get £3k instead of £4k.

Depends how you want to look at it really.

I used to look at my excess at a deterrent to driving stupidly.

I know that doesnt stop someone from ploughing into me, but the thought of having to fork out aload prevented me from driving like a prick.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
My voluntary is £1000 and compulsary £250 so £1250 in total!

If I had set it lower my premium increased, I paid £1200 for the year if I had set the voluntary at £500 it was £1600 total, so I would have been paying £400 more to reduce my excess by £500 therefore in the event of an accident I would only be £100 worse off if I increased the excess. So It made sence to increase the excess as if I done have an accident I'm £400 better off!!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lol at not planning on crashing.

Always loved that one.

Who was your GF insured with?

I've had my sister on my policy for past 2 years and when she got her own car just before Xmas they honored her 2 years no claims from my policy. Might be worth checking?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I had the excess on the vee at 1k for a couple of yrs...Was the only way i could get it affordable at 21.

Glad you've got a better quote, but if you didn't and that was the cheapest you'd got I'd have risked it.

Say you insured it with a lower excess for £1800, then had an accident, you'd still have some excess lets say £250 average, total paid would be £2050.
If you insured it with 1k excess for £1300, then had a crash, total paid would be 2300. So if you didn't claim you'd be £500 in pocket, if you did around £250 out.

Worth it IMO.

Listerine & Poledo
if you cant afford to run 'em, don't buy 'em.

I love it when people come on moaning how they're spending almost the same on tax & insurance than on the car.

Go forbid they ever have to change the belts, or fill it with fuel.

Although, being fair. Something must be afoot with insurers, at 21 I had the MX-3, albeit with 3 years NCB, and that was 800 quid a year with £300 excess. Parts and fixing costs on that were much higher than you'd have on a clio!