ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth stretching to a trophy?

Clio 200 FF Cupped
I'm a former 182 owner (which I sold to go travelling) and have in the last few weeks been in the market for another 182, prices seem to vary so much with some people and stealers wanting 11k for their huge mileage cars, and others being more reasonable but selling ultra fast.

Anyway my question is, should I stretch to a trophy? I absolutely love the looks, and obviously the exclusivity is great too. The Recaros and v6 spoiler are also on the good list. On the bad list though are the little things it doesnt have like mats and a luggage net, I know they're tiny things but they really annoy me as the weight they save is so little that the only real explanation is renault being really tight.

I realise its a matter of opinion, but what does everyone think? I COULD stretch to a trophy, but have always been unsure if it was worth the extra over a FF 182.

And please no 172 Cup suggestions, common as muck round these parts ;) :p

MINI JCW
There are very little difference between the trophy and the 182 so whether you think the differences are worth the premium will determine whether you buy the trophy or not also whether you plan to do track days.

The reasons I see for getting the trophy is the improved handling (probably most noticeable on a track), the colour, the seats and becuase its limited edition, but I think there are less 182 cups than 182 trophys iirc.

the downside is use lose a bit of kit (CC, Xenons and leather)

Its upto you, I would get the one you want and dont worry about the cost

Ditto the above. If you are actually going to make use of the uprated suspension on a track get a trophy, or indeed if you like the red colour. Otherwise a full fat 182 is such a sweet purchase.

Clio 200 FF Cupped
Don't really plan on track days, but I was under the impression Renault's blurb for the trophy was 'the ultimate road-going 182'

MINI JCW
milfordkong said:
Don't really plan on track days, but I was under the impression Renault's blurb for the trophy was 'the ultimate road-going 182'

It probably is, I would have thought the differences would only be noticeable when driving at the limit and to be honest in terms of handling I wouldnt of thought you will be taking too many corners on the road near the cars capabilities.

Im sure there are many people on here who have gone from 182 to trophy, so they will be best placed to advise

Trophy No. 440
If you are bothered about things like mats and a luggage net then you have already answered your own question.

Get the full fat.

The difference in handling on the road is un-noticeable in everyday driving.

Only you can decide whether the exclusivity is important enough to you personally to spend the extra money.

I have owned both and went from a full fat to a Trophy. The difference was noticable on cornering, especially around roundabouts. But I must admit, I did miss my full fat after about 6 months, for everyday life. The xenons, climate control and 6 CD changer made the difference to me.

v6 mk2
remember that the trophy was designed for the roads in britain and in particular the A and B class roads, the suspension was tested and adjusted to suit them. Yeah the trophy is good on a track but renaults idea wasnt to make a 182 for the track, it was to make a 182 that could eat any road that britain threw at it!

i drove a 182 with cup packs b4 the trophy and there IS a difference in the trophy's road holding and handling capabilities, the trophy has got dampers worth 10 times more than a standard damper so it would be extra money well spent. Oh and does climate control xenons and a 6 disc mean so much to you?

not me. Try them both out before you decide if you are unsure.

Trophy is a road car surely? All the changes from the 182 were to improve it on the road.

Anyhow, luggage net + mats = £50? I've got both in my 172 Cup due to Ebay purchases, not hard things to add in!

One thing worth considering is resale value, Trophy's appear to be holding value better, so in the long run it may save you money to spend a bit more now.

ST
Save some money by getting a FF 182 with cup packs...with the money saved get H&R coilovers...Trophys are like 4x4's too....no xenons the list goes on...

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
And please no 172 Cup suggestions, common as muck round these parts ;) :p[/QUOTE]

what you need is a 172 cup lol

v6 mk2
Alan said:
Save some money by getting a FF 182 with cup packs...with the money saved get H&R coilovers...Trophys are like 4x4's too....no xenons the list goes on...

they dont handle like a 4x4 mate!!!!

when i had my 172 on h&r's i wanted it as low as it would go, i have now realised that lower isnt always better, im sure a lot of thought went into the suspension before they fitted it to the trophy, (ask jean ragnotti if he thinks its like a 4x4!! haha)

BMW 330D
imo id love to own a trophy due to their only being 500.If you want the mats and boot net surely u can jus buy them as someone suggested that way ud get the rare car and the lil acc's that u want.

ST
chunktrophy said:
they dont handle like a 4x4 mate!!!!

when i had my 172 on h&r's i wanted it as low as it would go, i have now realised that lower isnt always better, im sure a lot of thought went into the suspension before they fitted it to the trophy, (ask jean ragnotti if he thinks its like a 4x4!! haha)

Sorry i didnt mean they handle like a 4x4 i mean the standard ride height.....

The interior isnt much to shout about either...the recaro's are tidy tho the rear bench is like the sofa from an old womens house??

Jean Ragnotti fair play but none of us are Jean Ragnotti and could push a car as hard or drive as well as he can!!

v6 mk2
agree with you about the rear seats, i have the recaros well back so if any1's having a look at it the rear seats are a bit hidden!!

yeah i know but his rally cars were never scraping off the ground, u can have a car too low i think, starts to hop and jump over every bit of gravel on the road. When i first saw the trophy's i thought they sat a bit high at the back but thats the way they designed it so who am i to mess with it!!

Echo what mos have said about driving both before deciding... What I wouls say is that ownd both and to be fair there is quite a big difference between Trophy and 182/cup pack... Handling is so much better on Trophy - dont need to be pushed to the limit to notice this.

It is noticed in everyday driving - what I would say is that on day to day drive the Trophy is bumpy compared to 182CP. This could be a down side? To me it aint but others have different oppinions..

If its handling and exclusiveness you want the Trophy is best option!

But dont assume try before you buy!

Clio 200 FF Cupped
Well I owned a FF 182 and loved it, what puts me off getting another is that I'd like something different, but I also loved my 182 so a trophy is the natural progression (having test driven the 197 am not keen at all, overpriced and rather dull in comparison IMO)

I'm really crap at decisions so just need to take the plunge really, and yes you're right I can just pick up the luggage net and mats off ebay so thats not really a problem at all.

As for residuals because of the exclusivity that's definitly a bonus, a lot of well respected people think VERY highly of the trophy and I doubt that'll hurt either however I doubt the residuals will hold AS well in the coming months / year.

I'm almost at the point of deciding to go for one, I adored my 182's handling so if this is an improvement than I'm sure i'll never get out of it without a smile on my face, love the colour, love the recaros and love the turinis...

To be continued....

MINI JCW
milfordkong said:
Well I owned a FF 182 and loved it, what puts me off getting another is that I'd like something different, but I also loved my 182 so a trophy is the natural progression (having test driven the 197 am not keen at all, overpriced and rather dull in comparison IMO)

I'm really crap at decisions so just need to take the plunge really, and yes you're right I can just pick up the luggage net and mats off ebay so thats not really a problem at all.

As for residuals because of the exclusivity that's definitly a bonus, a lot of well respected people think VERY highly of the trophy and I doubt that'll hurt either however I doubt the residuals will hold AS well in the coming months / year.

I'm almost at the point of deciding to go for one, I adored my 182's handling so if this is an improvement than I'm sure i'll never get out of it without a smile on my face, love the colour, love the recaros and love the turinis...

To be continued....

I think you have answered the questions yourself there mate, go get yourself a trophy! you know you want too

Simple.... Buy a trophy... then add the mats etc yourself. hey presto!!

EDIT.... if you like exclusivity, go for a Liquid Yellow or Petrol Blue 182 instead.

Clio 200 FF Cupped
Nebdingo said:
EDIT.... if you like exclusivity, go for a Liquid Yellow or Petrol Blue 182 instead.

Not a huge fan of either colour to be honest, petrol blue is ok but certainly not worth the ridiculous premium people ask (yes I know there's only 9 or whatever)

Ad

MK2 FRS
Ive borrowed a trophy for the last two days and absolutely loved it (have had a 182 and 172 myself). It is different to other 182s, you need to decied whether the sacrafices are worth the gains.... personally, i thought it was fantastic.... but im not 100% sure that i turn down a 182FF with recaros and 1k in pocket for one......w

A red missile
milfordkong said:

To be continued....

The colour, the Recaros and the turinis were the reason i bought one, as soon as i saw it - i HAD to have it, the smile on my face is why a year on im still loving it (like dat).

Do it, you wont regret it, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who has one that has much bad to say about it, mine rattles like hell, but they all do!

You know you want to ;)

A4 Avant
I drove both a 172 cup and 182FF when I bought my trophy. The moment I sat in the seat in the showroom I knew I had too have it! I didn't even drive it until I picked it up!

It doesn't feel any quicker than the other two, but the feel of it on the road for me was completely different. It felt tighter, more composed and held the road better than the 182 IMO.

I wouldn't have changed the trophy for a FF.

One thing they should have added to the trophy though was xenons! They are excellent on my brothers 172FF!

172 Exclusive... For Sale
I've tried both the clio cup 182 and the trophy with the trophy being amazing on the road and felt more involving then the cup. The trophy handled better and the road feel is spot on, not too stiff not too alien and i was with a renault dealer so i wasn't driving it too hard hence the trophy suspension being very noticable on the roads. As Nigel said, its tight and composed, more so than any other car i've driven. This is important for me since i previously drove a 106 rallye s2. I'd go for the trophy certainly. I'm only looking for a 172Cup cause its in my current price range, if i had the cash i'd go for the trophy, it was more fulfilling from a drivers view...