ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Won't start or turn over?

Renault Sport clio 1
My 172 decided not to start the over and when I try to start it the clock display turns off?

Have searched the forum but no one has mentioned the clock turning off when try starting the car?

Any ideas?

Renault Sport clio 1
Well the battery isn't old and all lights etc are bright?

The car won't even try to turn over?

PH1 172, E39
I had this problem just last week. Turned out it was the battery. The car wont start or turn over but the radio will reset and ask for the security code.
New battery in, problem solved.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Starter motor is under the exhaust manifold. Does it just click when you turn the key? Try using your black jump lead and attach one end to the gearbox and the other to the battery. If it starts then you have a bad earth strap check the connections behind passenger headlight and on the lower gearbox mount

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
put it in gear, rock the car, try starting. Sounds like the starter is jammed, or possibly dead. the dash lights dimming are due to the starter taking high current, but not doing anything

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
hang on, the immobiliser light stays red??? well your immobiliser isn't turning off! turn ignition on, press and hold the lock button on the dash for 10 seconds, then lock and unlock the car with the remote a few times. See if the light goes out. if it does it should start

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
When my car wouldn't start it was the tdc sensor causing the issue.

Try taking it off and cleaning it.

I've got a coil pack and ht leads that work if you want to try them to rule that out.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
When my car wouldn't start it was the tdc sensor causing the issue.

Try taking it off and cleaning it.

I've got a coil pack and ht leads that work if you want to try them to rule that out.

it wont turn over. It's none of those

Renault Sport clio 1
ok, well the gear change light flickers when I turn the car on aswell, but not everytime?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
its not the TDC sensor if it wont even turn over. I would be diagnosing it this way:

1. check voltage across battery, it should be around 11.5 volts
2. check voltage across the battery when trying to start the car, if it goes below 10vdc then the battery need replacing
3. if the above 2 are ok, then for voltage across the starter solinoid (this is the small wire not the big red one), if there is nothign being presented then its the ECU/immob
4. if there is good voltage across the starter solinoid, then check the voltage across the output of the solinoid and ground when attempting to start the car. if no voltage is present, then the solinoid is not firing
5. if voltage is present, then the motor has either had it or is stuck, rocking the car back and foward will release it if its stuck.

good luck.

Renault Sport clio 1
Battery reads over 12 volts off and engine on?

Have no idea how to reach the others to check them?

Give up with it now, just need to try and start it to get it to a garage!

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
Sounds like I have a similar issue.

Unlocked the car, immobiliser is off (no red light) and turn the key to the start position and nothing.

I hear a big click but like I say it won't start. It was an intermittent problem but is now becoming more frequent over the last few days.
Haven't had the opportunity to check the voltage of the battery as suggested above.

Any ideas?

Renault Sport clio 1
Car is being collected this morning and off to the garage to get sorted!

Will let you know of the outcome!

Clio 182 Cup (FF)
I took mine off the car this afternoon and gave it a clean, was covered in grease and dirt. The volts across the battery prior and after start where above 12v so defiantly not the battery.
We shall see if it does it again!

Phase 2 172
Im having a simmilar problem. When i turn the key am getting a ticking noise nd the lights on the dash are flashing but wont fire up. Tryed jumping the car and bump starting.

2007 clio dynamique
Im having a simmilar problem. When i turn the key am getting a ticking noise nd the lights on the dash are flashing but wont fire up. Tryed jumping the car and bump starting.

If i were you i would check the earth on the gearbox , even if it looks ok it may not be ,caused me a whole load of messing around buying a new battery etc when it had actually broken apart but still looked in one piece

Phase 2 172
If i were you i would check the earth on the gearbox , even if it looks ok it may not be ,caused me a whole load of messing around buying a new battery etc when it had actually broken apart but still looked in one piece

Cheers mate will try it tomorow morning.

Phase 2 172
Tried a new earth wouldn't start. Changed the battery and it started fine. Been okay since sat. Cheers for the help

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
For anybody getting a ticking noise but no start, that is likely the TDC sensor - had the exam same thing on my PH1 - loom was fubar. Few guides about on how to change them.

n2x

e60/f10
Okay. Have the same problem except its not an immobilizer problem, got it changed a month ago. All the lights are on and bought a brand new battery couple of weeks ago. Fuel pump switch is on. Had the same problem last week, tried a couple of hours later and it started. Im thinking that the wires somehow getting wet or damp might be the problem?