ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Broadband Question?

Ive just bought a lap top with Wireless networking, and i dont have broadband.
But when i first started it up, it flagged up 'wireless network detected', so i clicked it and connected to it. Not too sure what is was so i tried the internet, and to my surprise i now have broadband!!!

As far as i can tell someone else in my street has wireless internet and ive just connected to it.

Will it flag up on whoeva's computer that ive logged on.....or have i connected to a router? It did come up with a name 'jbhome'.

How much range does a wireless network go? I live in a semi, no one to the right of me but quite a few houses behind me. who's internet is it??

Cheers.

Andy

its all depends on the router and the software loaded onto it whether or not it will show who is connected to the router.

iirc it will only show as a MAC address and not your computer name or owt.

i would think that if he/they havent been bothered to setup WEP encryption then he wont be looking at the router to see who's connected either!

free Internet!!!! very lucky!

Lee

BMW M2C
It may show the name of your laptop as well as the MAC address and IP address the routers DHCP has given you. My Netgear wireless router shows the names of all devices attached to it, my PC, Xbox 360 and DS.

I have WEP enabled, the name of my network hidden and my devices allowed by MAC address if any of my neighbours want to use mine they'll have to know what they are doing. lol

Der Panzer
Get a PHLAK CD and have bags of fun. :evil:

Yeah, some chump in your street bought a router from PC World and hasn't read the destructions.

Enjoy your free connection, but bear in mind that what you're doing is illegal. That said, if the guy/girl is stupid enough not to secure their connection they're hardly likely to notice you, unless you max and bandwidth limit they have.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
You could always just log into their router and see what it's logging lol. It's usually the first or last address on the subnet, type it into IE and see if you get a login. It will most likely be default so you can look it up*

* not that I would advocate such actions :evil:

A4 Avant & A3
See if there are any shared printers.. and taunt them...
I had this with one of my neighbours.. i didn't have the balls to print to his printer though as ididn't really know him at the time lol
Daft bugger left the default password on his router too, he's lucky i'm a good lad :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Makes me laugh how adverts on the telly and in magazines try to show that setting up wireless is as easy as 1,2,3. That maybe true, but left at stage 3 is the equivalent of leaving your car's engine running, door wide open and a sticker saying "drive me wherever you like".

There's so much more to it than that. I've opted for the WPA pre-shared key route which is hardly the best in the world, but far better than the default settings. It also helps to have a password with numbers and the occasional capitalisation in it, for those thinking of doing it.

Basically, wireless sucks. It's flakey, more than likely to induce us all with 20-lbs tumours in a couple of years and it's still expensive. Given the money, I'd rather have several wired network points in the house than crappy wireless.

Unfortunately, the Colouring-In People deem it 'cool' and a 'must-have' for the masses. Marketing eh, who needs it? Legalised bloody robbery..... ;)

D.

Der Panzer
^ Agreed.

One of my neighbours has just purchased one. Stood and told me all about it; I played dumb.

May have a play with it tonight. :evil:

Dirty E91
I discovered a wirelss setup near me somewhere, no password required, lovely! Wish I had found it before buying myself a wireless modem/router!