ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Access Point

Never above 25mpg
Currently I have a Buffalo AirStation Wireless G which recently has caused me nothing but trouble! (12 months of fine wireless gaming and then the past few months have been a right pain in the arse)

It dips connection when it wants to, to my 360 yet when connected directly into it my laptop it's fine!

I'm after one that's 99% flawless tbh, cost isn't an issue unless it's silly money but anything that's better than this POS!

Something Windows 7 compatible too as this isn't working when I try to access the settings via IP address.

Anyone got any recommendations?

For reference my LAN setup is:

BT HUB
|
Wires in the walls
|
Buffalo
|
Laptop + Wirelessly to Xbox.

Monaro VXR
Always recommend going for D-Link, Netgear, linksys stuff myself.

All have some half decent options around the £50 - £80 mark.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
can't go wrong with Netgear, I've had several and never had problems with any of them, its also what I buy in/use for work.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Anything Linksys/Cisco is a win.

I'm have a Linksys WRT54g wireless router (been going strong for at least 5 years) and i also have a Cisco 1130ag wireless point.

Can't fault either of them.

Cupra
Another vote for Linksys from me. I tried Belkin, sitcom and SMC and had problems with all of them. The Linksys WRT610N solved all my issues. Great kit.

DMS

A thirsty 172
To the OP... make sure no other wireless networks in your area are using the same channel. If it did work fine and suddenly doesn't, it's possible that someone else has set up an AP on the same channel in your area, which will cause interference. Of course, it is still possible that it's developed a fault, but try changing the channel first just in case.
Don't buy Netgear stuff. It's cheap for a reason. Everything made by Netgear I've ever had has broken, and as a seasoned IT professional I've learnt that you get what you pay for. Anything by Linksys would be ideal for you. Cisco stuff is about as good you can get but is difficult to configure for a novice. Linksys are owned by Cisco, it's the same quality hardware with a much simpler user interface and fewer confusing options for a novice.

Monaro VXR
Got to be honest never had any issues with Netgear stuff. But you can have issues with anything. Heard of major issues with Linksys stuff as well.

Still rather keep to those brands than belkin and all that other crap though.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've never had an issue with a Linksys product since Cisco took them over. Yes, you can have issues with anything, but if they're better made in the first place it's much less likely.

Never above 25mpg
Looks like I'll be after a Linksys instead then. My dad's the PC genius tbh so it'd be him sorting it all out anyway! Thanks for the heads up :)