ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

windows 7

Shed.
Prefer the looks of vista personally, functionality is TBA TBH.

Not keen on the new Grouping thing theyve done with the taskbar tho....

SLK 350
Michael you know grouping can be disabled right? It's nothing new.

W7 looks quite good actually, certainly better than their woeful efforts on Vista. Hopefully it's something worth rolling out in a business enviroment. Good they've made it customisable for use on netbooks etc.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
weird how they've reasling betas so close to vista deployment, i would have expected another year/2 years wait to stablise/finalise the vista platform

Shed.
weird how they've reasling betas so close to vista deployment, i would have expected another year/2 years wait to stablise/finalise the vista platform

Vista is a shambles mate, its not atall suprising. They made a huge mistake with Vista - and they know it.

BMW F31
tbh the screenshots i've seen look no real difference to vista, what added/better functionality does it have?

Ubuntu FTW!! :p

SLK 350
MS said last year they we ditching Vista in 2010, and by that they mean entirely with exception to security fixes. With SP2 now released on Beta it looks as it the last SP for Vista could be SP2.

Windows 7 is scheduled afaik for Q3 2009, it's got lots of benefits over Vista including some good stuff borrowed from Server 2008.

infographic-web-4445_redo.article.jpg

182, turbo rx8, 911
It's ok, havnt really used it that much, it's a pre-beta build and i have it running in a VM at the moment.

I can show some screenies if people want

SLK 350
Vista works OK, I use Vista x64 on one of my work machines for the 2008 management tools, and it's fine. Just needs some configuring to get it how you want it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ubuntu FTW!! :p

w000p !! :approve:

I remember back in the days when I was running linux and I was the only one, they thought I was weird, a nerd and had to be a rocket scientist to use it !!

Now they just think i'm weird and a nerd lol..

Where did you get your copy from Hoff? I'd be interested in looking at a beta of 7

There is no offical beta, the version in circulation is most probably the build given out at this years professional dev conference (PDC). It is made available for devs to get a heads up on some of the new programming interfaces and compatibility.

Suggesting they're one and the same is wrong. Vista uses the 2008 kernel but only since SP1. They're still very different OS,
Define very different. The two are aligned as was the case in NT4/Win2K.

Yes there are differences around server vs. client tuning and restrictions but underneath they are pretty much identical.

Same goes for XP x64 which was built from Win2K3 x64.

EDIT: I guess this also depends on what you class as part of the operating system, obviously vista doesn't have AD, clustering, DHCP etc etc.

Last edited:
  Better than yours. C*nt.
Vista is a shambles mate, its not atall suprising. They made a huge mistake with Vista - and they know it.

Who the hell qualified you to make such sweeping statements?

You struggle specifying and building PCs, haven't come across VMware in any depth and then have the cheek to tell people how awful an operating system is, which granted has it's flaws but is FAR from a shambles?

Get back to your pub audience, people like you sicken me. One day someone will take your pub advice, and it'll hurt them.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Define very different. The two are aligned as was the case in NT4/Win2K.

Yes there are differences around server vs. client tuning and restrictions but underneath they are pretty much identical.

Same goes for XP x64 which was built from Win2K3 x64.

EDIT: I guess this also depends on what you class as part of the operating system, obviously vista doesn't have AD, clustering, DHCP etc etc.

I think on this one you're both right - Vista and 2008 server use the same kernel but also share very different aspects on the surface. Some of which can be retrofitted to 2008 (I've got an equivalent of Windows Server 2008 Ultimate, running DreamScenes and Aero Glass) but some that can't.

You can't say they're the same, but at the same time you can't say they are particularly different. Not in the way that Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional were...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Taking a step back and looking at the MS OS situation as a whole - it is interesting why Windows 7 is being pushed so quickly to get out there.

I've long been puzzled about Vista - short of better CPU support, higher memory ceiling and DX10 abilities, typical Joe Public wouldn't really 'need' anything that Vista has to offer - certainly over XP anyway.

Why has XP been out since 2001 and only recently reached retirement? Yet Vista comes steam-rollering in as the OS 'of choice' and yet already we're hearing about its replacement in a mere 9 months?

Just for one day, I'd like to sit on the board at MS and find out what is going on. ;)

D.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Anyone running 6956 yet? Find it has many improvements over 6801! Loving it so far, so much faster than Vista imo...

New orb looks nice, really getting used to pinning stuff, aero preview of whatever it's called is great too. Big up M$ :rasp: official beta out Jan 13th?

Not a Clio
I must be one of the few people who thinks Vista is ok. I never liked the previous versions, found them to be unstable and got sick of reinstalling every few months but Vista has been a dream to use. Honestly have no complaints.

Has MS actually said why they're pushing 7 out so soon?

Scirocco GT 2.0
I must be one of the few people who thinks Vista is ok. I never liked the previous versions, found them to be unstable and got sick of reinstalling every few months but Vista has been a dream to use. Honestly have no complaints.

Has MS actually said why they're pushing 7 out so soon?

I have no issues with Vista either except that it is quite RAM juicy, but hey, buy a better computer!

Our whole network at work except a couple of XP machines run on Vista Business and all 4/500 odd computers and laptops haven't missed a beat (we use Shuttle quad-core (some dual core) machines and Ergo/Dell laptops) except for low voltage issues and power cuts which we are currently resolving with EDF and our contractors

We are making a 4TB (RAID-1 - 2TB mirroring the other) Windows Server 08 live in a couple of weeks to run Exchange 07' then once we are happy we are going to decomission all the other servers and replace them with similar types over the next year, can't wait.

We will also be trialling Windows 7 when it comes out as our contract allows us to have Microsoft products 6 months (give or take) before public release so gives us plenty of time to test with some teachers and students etc..

People who don't like change get pushed to the back :)

Any screenshots yet?

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I have no issues with Vista either except that it is quite RAM juicy, but hey, buy a better computer!

Our whole network at work except a couple of XP machines run on Vista Business and all 4/500 odd computers and laptops haven't missed a beat (we use Shuttle quad-core (some dual core) machines and Ergo/Dell laptops) except for low voltage issues and power cuts which we are currently resolving with EDF and our contractors

We are making a 4TB (RAID-1 - 2TB mirroring the other) Windows Server 08 live in a couple of weeks to run Exchange 07' then once we are happy we are going to decomission all the other servers and replace them with similar types over the next year, can't wait.

We will also be trialling Windows 7 when it comes out as our contract allows us to have Microsoft products 6 months (give or take) before public release so gives us plenty of time to test with some teachers and students etc..

People who don't like change get pushed to the back :)

Any screenshots yet?

It's not so much that, imo - but there is no real reason to change for us. Granted, where apps like SQL are concerned - we can see massive benefits at work. We're still running SQL2000, but have SQL2005 running too. We're keeping a close eye on SQL2008 too.

But on the desktop level, XP Pro easily meets all the requirements we currently have. We will have to change at some point, but there is absolutely no reason to pump money into something we don't yet need.

Just like Office 2003. Works great for us. There is no reason at all to revamp all the machines up to Office 2007.

D.

Scirocco GT 2.0
It's not so much that, imo - but there is no real reason to change for us. Granted, where apps like SQL are concerned - we can see massive benefits at work. We're still running SQL2000, but have SQL2005 running too. We're keeping a close eye on SQL2008 too.

But on the desktop level, XP Pro easily meets all the requirements we currently have. We will have to change at some point, but there is absolutely no reason to pump money into something we don't yet need.

Just like Office 2003. Works great for us. There is no reason at all to revamp all the machines up to Office 2007.

D.

Yer that's fair enough, we have to keep things up to date because we are a private school and it doesn't look good from a prospective parents point of view if it looks like we scrimp on IT and don't have the latest software/computers etc. Especially as we are competing against other local private schools.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yer that's fair enough, we have to keep things up to date because we are a private school and it doesn't look good from a prospective parents point of view if it looks like we scrimp on IT and don't have the latest software/computers etc. Especially as we are competing against other local private schools.

Good call! Gotta keep the Chelsea-Tractor pilots happy! :cool:

D.