ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams V 182

Status
Not open for further replies.
  182 - Now Cooper S
This may seem like a stupid question, but what is faster, the 182 or the Williams?? both straight line and round the bends...

I know mine (182) is 2.0 litre obviously, and the Williams is a 1.8 but im guessing it is light....

Guessing you guys know all about this so all info welcome!!

Williams is 2.0.

I'd say, honestly..

182 in a straight line. Not much in it though.. which can be seen on 1/4 mile.

Not much in it (depending on driver) round twisties.

(Standard on Standard)

IMO, the 182 should be quicker, but it isn't always. :)

There, unbiased. :)

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Yes, you're absolutely right, the 182 is faster, but the williams is faster. I wonder tho, how both of them would compare to the Civic Type-R??

Anyone knows, maybe? ;)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
got to be a 182. williams is same car more or less and same engine size without VVT and 32 bhp less powerful. still fun car tho the williams.

182 - Now Cooper S
o really, i thought it was a 1.8. thats cool though, i would of assumed the 182 was quicker due to modern technology but the added weight of the extras in a cup must hold it back.

i assume a trophy would leave a williams?

The Jinx
Wouldn't leave it no. Too many people think that fractions of a second on paper means "leaving" another car. In truth, even if both drivers were clones and knew each car inside out, the difference would be marginal.

Yea, as Swervin_Mervin said.

That being said, I'd swap my Williams for a Trophy tho.. ;) (Straight-swap mind ;))

Scirocco GT 210
Loopz said:
Yes, you're absolutely right, the 182 is faster, but the williams is faster. I wonder tho, how both of them would compare to the Civic Type-R??

Anyone knows, maybe? ;)

:rofl:

Maybe someone should start on a topic on this? Since, to my knowledge, this question has never been asked on Cliosport before ;)

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
Daz said:
Williams is 2.0.

I'd say, honestly..

182 in a straight line. Not much in it though.. which can be seen on 1/4 mile.

Not much in it (depending on driver) round twisties.

(Standard on Standard)

IMO, the 182 should be quicker, but it isn't always. :)

There, unbiased. :)

^^^Thats correct based on the tests ive conducted.

1996 Valver
A Trophy is a 182 cup but with even better suspention, straight line speed will be the same as any 182.

the 1.8 in the MK1 you talk about is the same engine but 'fettled' and obviously board out to a 2.0.......this is known as a Valver!

williams and trophy
id say williams.....but then im biased.and have actually compared with both cars, in 2 differant williams'

and beaten them......the 172 cups however....are a bit more competition for the willies.

Last edited:
  Snotter's
There seems to be a lot of variation on std power for williams and 172/182 engines,you get good and bad ones so hard to say but in thoery the 182 should be quicker

182 - Now Cooper S
ok cool, sorry to bring this up again as its obviously a repost, but dont post at all rather then post saying? "omg were talking about this again" etc.

Thanks for all the info though.

TheJesus said:
Clio 197's the fastest cos it has more power yo! and 6 speed innit

It's actually slower than a 182 Cup I think?.. but handles better?

Something weird like that.

LY 200
I had a hybrid and now have a 182 and i dont think theres anything in it to be honest.

The power in the williams lump felt instant where as the 182 isnt but you get that massive kick at 5k instead.

I would deffinatly say the 182 sticks to the road lots better though, so twistys id go for 182.

Daz said:
It's actually slower than a 182 Cup I think?.. but handles better?

Something weird like that.

cant be, it has more power, is newer and costs more :eek:

...sorry, i got CS disease then, I forgot newer doesn't mean faster ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
need to write to top gear and get the stig to take a williams/182/197 round the track :)

would be quite cool to see actually

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Trophy and 172cup in the same hands (both unmodified) would be quicker round the track than a Williams but not by much..a FF172 / 182 may be even closer. On paper is states a bigger margin but thats with racing drivers. I had a valver and williams 10 years ago and they were great but the 172 cup i have now IMHO is better.

In a straight line similar story.

Some would say Williams are loads faster than all of the new ones but they are not. Most Williams are modified in some way so it never a true like for like....im sure its a debate that will go on for the end of time..

The Jinx
I don't think so. Martin was utterly pasting a stripped 182 at Anglesey the other week. Fair enough, martin's was heavily stripped and he had slicks, but I mean he was really quite noticeably quicker.

Unfortunately I still haven't had a proper do with a 182 etc on track. I was coming in to the pits when this guy at Ty Croes got near me. He was driving it really very well as well.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Swervin_Mervin said:
I don't think so. Martin was utterly pasting a stripped 182 at Anglesey the other week. Fair enough, martin's was heavily stripped and he had slicks, but I mean he was really quite noticeably quicker.

Unfortunately I still haven't had a proper do with a 182 etc on track. I was coming in to the pits when this guy at Ty Croes got near me. He was driving it really very well as well.

LOL please take drivers out of the equation... plus the car have different levels of mods. Just cause you pass someone then doesnt mean your car is faster. Passed GT3's round the Ring and many exotica on trackdays but it doesnt mean that its (172Cup) a faster car..

Your point isnt really valid IMHO..

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
cant believe i missed this thread. lol @ first post, williams 1.8, lol. talk about getting your facts right.

this has been debated many times with the same conclusion........ there about the same. although going on what other ppl have said, the williams is easier to drive faster as it is a bit more raw/drivers car.

Hmm, I'd say the 182 would be easier to drive faster? It has shed loads more torque..

I've never driven one, though.. :)

Was a passenger in Mat's Cup and Slugger's Cup, and they felt silly quick.. but I didn't have my Williams then.. so difficult to compare :)

I need to drive a 182. :p

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
i went in a 182 and i must say it felt quite crap actually. it didnt have cup packs but was no-where near the williams in terms of handaling, did feel a bit quicker in a straight line though. but its hard to tell. i wouldnt have said the 182 emfused as much confidence so retracted from the whole driving experience.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Williams is comparible to a Trophy or cup really......and the later are a bit better all round..Brakes, staightline and handling..IMHO

I'd say the Williams and 182/172/Cup/trophy/ wouldn't be much different in real terms. However the Williams is getting on for 10 years old now rust age mailage taes it toal few people with mint WIlliams will get soem new tyre compounds on there cars and thrash them round the track even comparing old lap times with new ones sin't fair as different tarmac and tyre compounds matter.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I've owned a few hybrids & williams and tbh I'd say the williams is very similar in performance to a 172/182 with it coming down to individual cars/engines as to which is quicker. The exception to this rule is the 172 cup which edges the williams stnd/mod for mod.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Notorious said:
I've owned a few hybrids & williams and tbh I'd say the williams is very similar in performance to a 172/182 with it coming down to individual cars/engines as to which is quicker. The exception to this rule is the 172 cup which edges the williams stnd/mod for mod.

I think thats the most honest post i seen from a Williams/hybrid owner for a long time...:)

Hope the car back on track soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.