ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will I regret not getting a 172 cup?

just get the cup and if your botherd about the Ac/cc look for a cup with it fitted... i have a cup with the ac/cc and yes the interior is rather boring but as said its nothing some recaro's carnt sort. as for the issue of no abs iv really had 2 slam the ankers on a few times and it only really seems 2 lock right up when its wet... get the cup and enjoy the rawness of it

Seems that my dilemma is a hot topic! I personally will not miss abs, traction control(not even sure if the 182s have that?) or climate control(we have like 2 weeks of summer at best! whats all this talk of intoxicating heat?!). As for the interior, il most likely be buying some bucket seats when i see a nice pair of 2nd hand ones! i would like xenons, i love the look of them and the better visability is useful because im quite often driving at night! however i guess you can retro fit them to the cup anyway(any approx costs?)

I do seem to be set on a cup now, think the ones ive been looknig at need their prices knocked down abit though! going to try and be good and not rush into buying one as soon as i get my money through!

I'm looking at a cup now, but it doesn't have the clear side indicators but orange ones? Surely that's not right??

320d
I'm looking at a cup now, but it doesn't have the clear side indicators but orange ones? Surely that's not right??

If its before about 03 plate its perfectly normal. The clear ones can be easily and cheaply retrofitted though so thats not a problem.

Westy. MX5
You want to buy a Cup and your worried about the colour of light lenses? Thats just bonkers, you buy a Cup because its a thrill to drive on track.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at the hate in here for the poverty 172 Cup interior.

In terms of what you can see and feel, the ONLY difference is the seat covers. Gadget wise there are a few more 'toys' on other models, but hardly anything that puts them in a different league.

If its before about 03 plate its perfectly normal. The clear ones can be easily and cheaply retrofitted though so thats not a problem.
Ah yeah it's a 52 plate so that makes sense! It's got a flocked centre console bit which i can't stand, is that easy to change?

The reason I was questioning the indicators was because it was the first cup I had seen with them, so thought it could mean they'd been replaced in a smash or something like that!
As I'm going to replace the seats and steering wheel, the interior of a cup isn't really an issue?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
A tell tail sign of a front end smash or respray are the black pieces of plastic/stickers are the same colour as the car. I'll find a pic and show you what I mean.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
P1020340.jpg

See on the bumper, on the recess in, just down from the lights - there is a little bit of black. Often on a respray these get missed and painted.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I've had my Cup for 3 years now.

I enjoy every minute behind the wheel. I am in no means a driving hero and make poor judgements etc like the rest of us. The lack of ABS has never caused me grief, yet, touch wood. The only things I miss are Xenons (which a decent set of uprated bulbs helps with i.e. "Osram Nightbreakers" etc) and no Air-Con in the summer.

The paintwork or the Cup is stunning in sunlight and on silver Turinis, look fantastic. I fitted coilover to mine more for the visual issue of the standard ride height being a little tractor-like. Mine is on 103k miles (a 40k engine has been fitted recently due to cambelt failure of the original one) and is still great fun to drive. One press of the loud pedal and I can go from "having a sh*t day" to big grin all the journey home. I have a Recaro bucket and harness fitted in the summer, makes it even more fun to drive.

I havent owned any other RenaultSport so to compare them from my point of view wouldnt be fair.

Have a think though. Are you a real petrol-head? If you're not, but you enjoy the occasional blast on a B-road I would probably suggest a normal 172 or 182, near identical performance, but with all the shiny/comfortable bits on top.

If compromise isnt an issue, then a Cup will be a lot of fun.

Test drive as many as you can of all types, and good luck RS hunting,
Rob

Have now found the cup for me! Buying off a member on here, just trying to sort out paypal deposit and booking train/plane flights! 172 cup, mondial blue and perfect for me as it already has recaros, coilovers and few other bits which I would have wanted done eventually so literally perfect for me! So happy! Got a 250 mile roadtrip home once I pick the car up so will get well acquainted with it on the way home!

I liked my 172 cup a bit more than my trophy purely because of the throttle response which I found to be instant on the 172 cup and not so with the trophy. Perhaps this was because of FBW, I hope things have improved because I just ordered a 200 cup without even test driving.

197 FF Glacier White
Depends what you want from your Clio really.

I've owned my Cup now for 5 months or so. Do I regret buying it over a 182, not really. I DO think I made a mistake when I'm on the motorway though! The Cup is noisy, very noisy. Ok for short commutes and B road blasts, but long motorway hauls, very tiring. I've made mine worse still by fitting the uprated mounts engine and gearbox mounts! Still, of all the RS Clios I drove, the Cup feels the better car to drive, everything is so precise, so urgent and you know exactly whats going on at all times. The suspension is brilliant, if it's not tired, very compliant over rough roads, but still hard enough to use in anger, a brilliant compromise that works well. I haven't driven a Trophy, simply because I wasn't prepared to spend £6000 plus on an old shape Clio!

The standard RS Clios are a lot better than the Cup as a daily, quieter, softer and cheaper to insure too! But the Cup feels alive, really! Every drive is an adventure, I don't regret it at all, my other car is a Volvo diesel, opposite end of the spectrum, I drive the weekend toy all the time now, mileage has crept past 41k now, but I'm no longer bothered about keeping the miles off! Oh, in it's favour, the Cup returns slightly better MPG over the standard RS, I frequently see 40+ MPG on a run, superb for the type of car.

Drive lots, try them all, only you can decide.

G